Petition Calls For Stillwater's 'Eskimo Joe's' To Change Its Name, Mascot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
It was a completely valid comparison. Don’t know what you missing in this. Are you just upset the @naffigator provided next perfect comparisons with mascots with similar toothy grins?

Are you similarly upset with the University of Notre Dame and their mascot?
You're not good at this. Get better at trolling attempts.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It's a troll attempt to sidestep the issue.

I work with some of the best standup comedians and television writers in Los Angeles. I know a troll bait question when I see one. It's an insincere attempt to open dialogue based on unrelated fact.

Yes, Stan Clark has raised boatloads of money for great causes and the university. No one would deny that.
Man I hope you aren't one of those partially to blame for the death of American comedy that has happened in the past decade in America. PC culture and lingo is a direct attack on freedom of expression. Make no mistake, the attack on Joe and Buffy is PC culture's attempt to limit expression and speech that may or may not offend. One of the biggest problems in America is that we are all too easily offended. It's literally tearing us apart.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
You're the one sidestepping the issue. The issue, IMO, is to determine what an offensive caricature is or isn't. I'm asking you to explain why you feel that one is offensive and one isn't. There's no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious why you have an apparent double standard.
Is my alleged double standard the issue or the point that was brought up?
I know the "attack the attacker game" Tucker Carlson does it much better than you.
It's fine if you don't agree that it's offensive. I think you're wrong.

I don't think people that eat at Joe's are racists, I don't think Stan Clark or his crew or Nazi's, but upon further introspection. I can see where people represented by a cartoon may not like being represented by a cartoon. I had never thought about it before yesterday. It's OK to have new thoughts.

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Man I hope you aren't one of those partially to blame for the death of American comedy that has happened in the past decade in America. PC culture and lingo is a direct attack on freedom of expression. Make no mistake, the attack on Joe and Buffy is PC culture's attempt to limit expression and speech that may or may not offend. The biggest problem in America is that we are all too easily offended.
The two best specials that came out last year were Dave Chapelle's Sticks and Stones and Bill Burr's Paper Tiger if that answers your question.

For this year, Mark Normand "Out to Lunch" and Nate Craig "Preferred Customer"

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm shocked nobody's brought up the actual history behind the logo itself.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I spilled the beans that it was borrowed and altered from Buster Brown, but I don't think anyone believed me. What else do you know about it?
I've never heard anything about it being borrowed from buster Brown The only thing I had heard is that Stan Clark actually knew somebody named Joe and the character is based on him cuz he smiled all the time and that they actually called him Eskimo Joe. But that's without me sleuthing or anything it's just something I'd heard mentioned by someone.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The two best specials that came out last year were Dave Chapelle's Sticks and Stones and Bill Burr's Paper Tiger if that answers your question.

I agree with freedom of expression...even if I don't agree with those expressing it. That is the essence of freedom...we need to learn to live with and love the fact that we are all able to express in the way we feel is best for us. That of course doesn't, and shouldn't, stop those who disagree from that disagreement. That's the ugly side effects of the culture war...that as a free society we need to tolerate.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I've never heard anything about it being borrowed from buster Brown The only thing I had heard is that Stan Clark actually knew somebody named Joe and the character is based on him cuz he smiled all the time and that they actually called him Eskimo Joe. But that's without me sleuthing or anything it's just something I'd heard mentioned by someone.

I think it was Mike Stabbis that did the design. I know he did the first anniversary shirt, which was the best one, with the snow shoes crossed on the back. They made 200 of those, and I know of 1 still in existence. Stan probably has 1 also but I never asked him. The Eskimo was because it was supposed to be the coldest beer in town. I doubt there is much of a risk of lawsuits at this time but I was told the designer was "inspired by" the Buster Brown logo.

When it started it was just the first floor of the old part of Joe's, and Stan lived upstairs. Stan always credited the logo for his success, which is his humble way of deflecting the 1000's of good decisions he's made along the way, but the logo did have a huge part in it.

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Paper Tiger was great.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Seems like a valid question. When is a caricature or cartoon harmless and when is it racist or bigoted?
On similar situations I've heard the word "intent" thrown around, which I think is fair. I collect old Oklahoma A&M programs and I've seen some with ads that make me cringe. They intended to mock a particular group for entertainment.

Times change and all that, but even in today's hyper sensitive world, it's clear the intent of the Logo was not to demean or mock an ethnicity. It was intended to be a cute way to demonstrate the beer was cold. If someone wants to get their feelings hurt they can, but it's hard for me to make the link between a hurtful stereotype and that logo.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

Not trying to pick on you but I think it's a fair question, is there a different standard for a stand up comedian than a corporate logo? I've seen Dave Chapelle do a brutal mockery of Asian people with the intent to exaggerate a stereotype. Is it okay in that situation because our expectations are different than the daily use on a T shirt?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Kind of on topic here, I just read that the Redskins are going to go by the name "The Washington Football Team" next season. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that mascots will go away completely in the not too distant future.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I agree with freedom of expression...even if I don't agree with those expressing it. That is the essence of freedom...we need to learn to live with and love the fact that we are all able to express in the way we feel is best for us. That of course doesn't, and shouldn't, stop those who disagree from that disagreement. That's the ugly side effects of the culture war...that as a free society we need to tolerate.
Freedom of expression also, doesn't include vandalism and violence. Or threats of violence for disagreeing.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Kind of on topic here, I just read that the Redskins are going to go by the name "The Washington Football Team" next season. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that mascots will go away completely in the not too distant future.
It reminds me of the Southpark Christmas play where they ended up singing some song done by a "Minimalist composer " wearing gray outfits as to not offend anyone.

1595529361781.png

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Freedom of expression also, doesn't include vandalism and violence. Or threats of violence for disagreeing.

One crosses that line when one starts tearing up other peoples (or governments) property.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
"Washington" had slaves...so "that's racist!" Point being, it never will end as long as someone is offended...unless that someone happens to be a middle class white male...

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Is my alleged double standard the issue or the point that was brought up?
I know the "attack the attacker game" Tucker Carlson does it much better than you.
It's fine if you don't agree that it's offensive. I think you're wrong.

I don't think people that eat at Joe's are racists, I don't think Stan Clark or his crew or Nazi's, but upon further introspection. I can see where people represented by a cartoon may not like being represented by a cartoon. I had never thought about it before yesterday. It's OK to have new thoughts.
I'll make this very simple. Can you or can you not explain why you believe the Eskimo Joe's or Cleveland Indians logos are offensive, but you (apparently) find no offense in the Cornhuskers or Fighting Irish logos? I apologize if you *do* find offense in the latter examples, and the conversation has ignored that. I'm just trying to figure out your logic.

Jan 14, 2007
Yukon, OK
Or this unshaven cartoonish depiction of an overly serious crazy Cowboy wearing guns and an Orange hat? Bottom line, PC Nazi is going to kill fun and joy in American life...No longer can you make a joke without the fear of the PC Nazi, honor someone as a positive and fun cartoonish figure and you better watch out because it may be seen as disparaging rather than what it is. Good clean fun.
View attachment 83939
Why is Pete taking a knee??? Does he hate America?????

Mar 11, 2006
I'll make this very simple. Can you or can you not explain why you believe the Eskimo Joe's or Cleveland Indians logos are offensive, but you (apparently) find no offense in the Cornhuskers or Fighting Irish logos? I apologize if you *do* find offense in the latter examples, and the conversation has ignored that. I'm just trying to figure out your logic.
You could add: Minutemen, Trojans, Spartans, Cavaliers, Pirates, Crusaders, Deacons, Dutchman.
If Chiefs are offensive then why not Kings?

OrangeFan69

A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
The Nebraska/Notre Dame mascots were done by people of the group they are representing. Not so much with Joe's or the Washington NFL team.