Petition Calls For Stillwater's 'Eskimo Joe's' To Change Its Name, Mascot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Y
2. I literally would never think to relate the Eskimo Joe's logo to any people groups, because it's a ridiculous cartoon character. If I met an Eskimo, I wouldn't think, "Man, you look nothing like the cartoon from that popular local burger joint." or "Man, they really didn't get their logo right. This guy's not even wearing a parka. And where's his dog???"

But I guess my bigger question is this. Who is allowed to be offended, and by which things? Should I start scouring the internet for people that are appropriating my German heritage or making fun of the Dutch?
Serious question: How is the Eskimo Joe’s mascot anymore potentially offensive than the Little Caesar’s mascot? Or any of a number of pizza and italian chains that has a mascot or image of an Italian guy with an oversized curly mustache and chefs hat?

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Serious question: How is the Eskimo Joe’s mascot anymore potentially offensive than the Little Caesar’s mascot? Or any of a number of pizza and italian chains that has a mascot or image of an Italian guy with an oversized curly mustache and chefs hat?
It's not. They may get around to those eventually but Europeans do not make for a good victimization story so they are out of the line of fire for now.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think Stan Clark or EJ's hates Eskimos is somehow a closet racist, KKK or whatever; I can see how people of that group might not care for the cartoon depiction of themselves
Stan's a very sensitive, kind hearted guy who loves everyone. And I do mean that, he always has a smile about as big as the Eskimo on the shirt. This probably hurt him personally more than people know because it was the furthest thing from his mind at the time and for decades after that. By now he's probably seen this coming, but EJ's is his baby, it's his identity, and his life. I'm sure he feels quite conflicted and that's part of the reason it bothers me, because Stan is such a genuine, good guy.

Some idiot casually throws this out there as if it was some insensitive attempt to exploit people. She doesn't know Stan, I bet she's never been to Joe's and she probably has little knowledge how the people represented in this logo really feel about it. She has no idea, or concern about how much this will hurt Stan.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Stan's a very sensitive, kind hearted guy who loves everyone. And I do mean that, he always has a smile about as big as the Eskimo on the shirt. This probably hurt him personally more than people know because it was the furthest thing from his mind at the time and for decades after that. By now he's probably seen this coming, but EJ's is his baby, it's his identity, and his life. I'm sure he feels quite conflicted and that's part of the reason it bothers me, because Stan is such a genuine, good guy.

Some idiot casually throws this out there as if it was some insensitive attempt to exploit people. She doesn't know Stan, I bet she's never been to Joe's and she probably has little knowledge how the people represented in this logo really feel about it. She has no idea, or concern about how much this will hurt Stan.
Known him for years. This is true.

I'll be interested to see where this goes, & I say this because I know there've been previous efforts, but they never had the platform of social media to go after a situation like this. I think we'll see plenty more of this, as far as local/regional brands are concerned, because it's a lot more easy to make it a national thing now & news is always trolling around for the next story to fill a 24/7/265 inventory.

We're in a strange time where the dictate is "if one person is offended, it must come down", & that's kind of a crazy precedent, imo.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'm shocked nobody's brought up the actual history behind the logo itself.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm shocked nobody's brought up the actual history behind the logo itself.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I spilled the beans that it was borrowed and altered from Buster Brown, but I don't think anyone believed me. What else do you know about it?

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
But it an important story because it show the outright stupidity of this whole crazy action.
In the grand scheme of things, nah. It's important to us because everyone here had a drunken night or two at Joe's and the name and logo have little to do with what's going on now. To the rest of the world no one really cares. The whole thing started because someone with an agenda picked a place she heard of. If they decide to update the logo or rebrand thats fine. Times change and whatnot. But when we as a people are tearing down statues of slave owners and traitors while dealing with a once in a century virus, a random (and awesome) bar in Stillwater changing its name maybe isn't going to be that big of a deal.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
Talking in the context of Indigenous people. I'm unsure about the name Cleveland Indians, but the toothy smile is dehumanizing and paints a broad brush over a group of humans.

I feel that Eskimo Joe's and the logo definitely fall in the same boat

Finally, I assure you; that you are mocked much more severely than me.
That Eskimo Joe's logo has earned a lot of money for a lot of good causes (money from certain t-shirts goes to those groups). Do you feel these logos need to go too? They all have toothy grins.
2ad_iona.jpeg
coalgate.jpeg
nebraska.jpg
vikings.jpg
snap_crackle_pop.jpg

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
It's a valid question.
It's a troll attempt to sidestep the issue.

I work with some of the best standup comedians and television writers in Los Angeles. I know a troll bait question when I see one. It's an insincere attempt to open dialogue based on unrelated fact.

Yes, Stan Clark has raised boatloads of money for great causes and the university. No one would deny that.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK

I work with some of the best standup comedians and television writers in Los Angeles. I know a troll bait question when I see one. It's an insincere attempt to open dialogue based on unrelated fact.

Yes, Stan Clark has raised boatloads of money for great causes and the university. No one would deny that.
Seems like a valid question. When is a caricature or cartoon harmless and when is it racist or bigoted?

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
It's a valid question.

Works with standup comedians!!!!!

Oooooh, Super Qualified!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006

It was a completely valid comparison. Don’t know what you missing in this. Are you just upset the @naffigator provided next perfect comparisons with mascots with similar toothy grins?

Are you similarly upset with the University of Notre Dame and their mascot?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

You're the one sidestepping the issue. The issue, IMO, is to determine what an offensive caricature is or isn't. I'm asking you to explain why you feel that one is offensive and one isn't. There's no right or wrong answer. I'm just curious why you have an apparent double standard.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It was a completely valid comparison. Don’t know what you missing in this. Are you just upset the @naffigator provided next perfect comparisons with mascots with similar toothy grins?

Are you similarly upset with the University of Notre Dame and their mascot?
Or this unshaven cartoonish depiction of an overly serious crazy Cowboy wearing guns and an Orange hat? Bottom line, PC Nazi is going to kill fun and joy in American life...No longer can you make a joke without the fear of the PC Nazi, honor someone as a positive and fun cartoonish figure and you better watch out because it may be seen as disparaging rather than what it is. Good clean fun.
1595521856211.png

Last edited: