Petition Calls For Stillwater's 'Eskimo Joe's' To Change Its Name, Mascot

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Oh hell no. Don't give in Stan. I knew it was a matter of time before this would surface.

STILLWATER -
A petition is calling for Stillwater's Eskimo Joe's restaurant to change its name and remove the mascot.
The petition on Change.org states "Eskimo Joe's has been a beloved but racially insensitive Oklahoma brand since it was established in Stillwater in 1975."
It also said minorities should not be used as "as caricatures or used as mascots" and the petition claims that "these depictions parallel the racist ads, mascots, and cartoons of Native Americans, Asians, and Africans."
The petition goes on to state that they are not asking for the restaurants, Eskimo Joe's and Mexico Joe's, to be done away with, but for them to be re-branded without the imagery of the restaurants' current mascots.
https://www.newson6.com/story/5f15e...1lRDc4oTkF0XcsYVTG0I65FT3adXa08khd-YKVCYe3aro

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I figured it would get revived. I can remember 15 years ago or so, there was a push to change the name, and when that failed, they tried to change the mascot Joe because he is a racist caricature of Alaskan Natives.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
No.

Find me 2 actual Eskimos who are offended by this.

Stillwater Pioneers, OU Sooners and OSU Cowboys are next.

Actually if more people knew what Sooners were there really might be more of an outcry.

Feb 25, 2008
Interesting, when you click on the link to get to the actual petition it quickly ramps up to show 263 people have signed it, then greatly slows down showing the numbers increase one at a time until it gets to 284 as if these additional signings are "live".

However, if you close and reopen it does it again, and again.

Their goal is 500 signatures. I bet it won't be effective until they get more signatures than purchases of t-shirts or customers in their restaurants during a typical weekend.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think it's offensive to Eskimos. Speaking, however, on behalf of all the Joes out there I do find it highly offensive. Not sure why, but I'm sure I'm offended by it for some reason.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Interesting, when you click on the link to get to the actual petition it quickly ramps up to show 263 people have signed it, then greatly slows down showing the numbers increase one at a time until it gets to 284 as if these additional signings are "live".

However, if you close and reopen it does it again, and again.

Their goal is 500 signatures. I bet it won't be effective until they get more signatures than purchases of t-shirts or customers in their restaurants during a typical weekend.
They may get there if you count the ones like f... off, Not sure who he is but he signed it.

Mar 11, 2006
The Cherokee Nations own high school in Tahlequah is nicknamed “Indians”. Should we start a petition to get Tahlequah Sequoyah to change the HS mascot?

@Jostate is right. Are any Eskimos offended by the name? I guess my thought as long as, the name isn’t a slur, or isnt in a derogatory manner, then naming something after a person or a group is a high honor.

Are we going to get to a point that any school mascot that isn’t an animal is offensive to some people?
Aggies (is that derogatory now?)

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Salem Witch Trials
McCarthyism
Cancel Culture

People never change. I think we're just getting more efficient at creating mobs, now, with worldwide connectivity. I expect stuff like this to only get worse.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
The Cherokee Nations own high school in Tahlequah is nicknamed “Indians”. Should we start a petition to get Tahlequah Sequoyah to change the HS mascot?

@Jostate is right. Are any Eskimos offended by the name? I guess my thought as long as, the name isn’t a slur, or isnt in a derogatory manner, then naming something after a person or a group is a high honor.

Are we going to get to a point that any school mascot that isn’t an animal is offensive to some people?
Aggies (is that derogatory now?)
Animals could be offensive to the people that are starting to identify as animals.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Activism has become a full time job. No matter how much you change, how much you give in, it will never stop. There will always be the next name or symbol or statue or pronoun or whatever else to change.