Pete Incaviglia

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 15, 2005
For those Cowboy fans who don't know - Cowboy baseball great, Pete Incaviglia, is the manager of the Sugar Land Skeeters (near Houston) minor league baseball team. The team is playing well. I discovered that Pete was the manager - by accident. Got his attention by wearing OSU gear to a Skeeters game and got a chance to chat briefly with this former Cowboy superstar. He was very friendly and signed a couple of OSU baseballs I brought to the game. I encourage any Cowboy fans in the area to attend a Skeeters' game and say hi to Pete.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Few fully appreciate how ridiculous his batting stats were in college. He was the Barry Sanders of college hitting.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Few fully appreciate how ridiculous his batting stats were in college. He was the Barry Sanders of college hitting.
Very true. He didn't become an all time MLB great, and a lot of people are quick to just write off his accomplishments at OSU as a product of the "hot" bats. But, that same era saw Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, and Rafael Palmeiro hit with those same bats and none of them came close to accomplishing what Pete did.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
My all-time favorite MLB player. First game Rangers game when I was a kid, he hit two homers... one hit the sheeting way out in right field, one of the longest HR's in that old stadium. Of course, he'd strike out 5 times for every homer :)

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My all-time favorite MLB player. First game Rangers game when I was a kid, he hit two homers... one hit the sheeting way out in right field, one of the longest HR's in that old stadium. Of course, he'd strike out 5 times for every homer :)
That's what impressed me when he was at OSU. He wasn't a strike out/ home run guy. His junior year he batted .464.

Dec 15, 2004
Edmond
Pete was (and probably always will be) the best collegiate home run hitter of all time.............his strength and skills came at a perfect point in history, with Gary Ward's hitting theories and instruction............
Bobby Valentine wasn't a good manager, but he didn't "ruin" Incaviglia.......Major League pitchers were much better equipped to pitch to his weaknesses, and he didn't adjust to that pitching as well as he did with Ward's guidance against collegiate pitching (it was the "perfect storm")......still, he was a solid Major League player, and I think it's awesome how he has taken to sharing his experiences and knowledge with young ball players (and that, as much as anything, will make Coach Ward and Coach Holliday most proud of Pete, as most coaches are with former players that go on to coach)

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
oing some digging for his stats this morning.

Pete had 250 at bats his junior year. Just looking at some #'s from that season:

48 home runs, so almost 1 out of every 5 at bats was a home run. He only struck out 46 times. How often does someone have more home runs than strike outs?

He had 21 doubles and walked 80 times. I couldn't find hit by pitch or on base % but doing a little math he reached base more than 200 times in 250 at bats.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Doing some digging for his stats this morning.

Pete had 250 at bats his junior year. Just looking at some #'s from that season:

48 home runs, so almost 1 out of every 5 at bats was a home run. He only struck out 46 times. How often does someone have more home runs than strike outs?

He had 21 doubles and walked 80 times. I couldn't find hit by pitch but or on base % but doing a little math he reached base more than 200 times in 250 at bats.

Per Baseball Cube:

OB%: .594
Slugging %: 1.140

HBP: 0 - I find that hard to believe, probably just wasn't recorded.

Another interesting stat from that year - 14 SB's in 16 attempts, probably not something most would have thought from Pete.

Also had 2 triples that season.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Per Baseball Cube:

OB%: .594
Slugging %: 1.140

HBP: 0 - I find that hard to believe, probably just wasn't recorded.

Another interesting stat from that year - 14 SB's in 16 attempts, probably not something most would have thought from Pete.

Also had 2 triples that season.
I thought you had to be fast to get a triple.