Paul George to Thunder

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Exactly what I'm thinking! He'd be a terrific backup PG, 6th man, defender. A second team of Smart, Abrines, McDermott, Grant, and Kanter would be excellent. Smart also has playoff experience! Patterson got signed and will start- I'm very interested to see how he fits. Also, our play not to sign Gay likely means we resign Roberson (hopefully price doesn't skyrocket when matching).
Yep, I remember watching the playoffs this year & thinking, "Man, I'd love to have a Marcus Smart-type guy in the thunder rotation...". I do think there will be some initial 2nd team chemistry issues just due to everyone needing time to get to know how to play alongside each other, but it's an experiment I want to see :)

And I think the Thunder will be able to get Roberson far cheaper than the 4/$48 million they offered him in October. Better SGs have signed for less so far. Maybe we get him for $8 million/year. Unless someone just tried to play chicken & offer a ridiculous $15 million/year just to try to screw the Thunder, but who would even risk the potential backfire?

Nov 27, 2007
How about Patrick Patterson instead?

Oh, and with Hayward needing room the Celtics are looking to dump salary, i.e. Marcus Smart. I know a team that could use a back up point guard too.
I love Patterson, under the circumstances:
- Thunder could only pay $5.2 million this year or we'd be hard-capped.
- He just turned 28
- He is a career 37% 3-point shooter
- He is an excellent & versatile defender.

We could not have reasonably expected to get a better fit for the need of a starting stretch 4 who can play defense.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I love Patterson, under the circumstances:
- Thunder could only pay $5.2 million this year or we'd be hard-capped.
- He just turned 28
- He is a career 37% 3-point shooter
- He is an excellent & versatile defender.

We could not have reasonably expected to get a better fit for the need of a starting stretch 4 who can play defense.
You should go check the plus/minus numbers on Patterson in Toronto. It is sick.

I don't remember the span of time but with Patterson on the floor the Raptors were + 1000+ and without him in the floor - 100+.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
You should go check the plus/minus numbers on Patterson in Toronto. It is sick.

I don't remember the span of time but with Patterson on the floor the Raptors were + 1000+ and without him in the floor - 100+.
You're right, and I hadn't seen this before. In his four seasons with the Raptors, they were +1203 with him on the court and +43 without him. Since 2014-15, they were +1004 with him and -37 without him. Remarkable! (link to NBA.com stats)
upload_2017-7-7_12-22-43.png

Nov 27, 2007
You're right, and I hadn't seen this before. In his four seasons with the Raptors, they were +1203 with him on the court and +43 without him. Since 2014-15, they were +1004 with him and -37 without him. Remarkable! (link to NBA.com stats)
View attachment 54902
Lab Rat, what do you think of the new backup PG, Raymond Felton? I feel pretty good about. A lot of experience & he seems to be holding up well having played 160 games over the last 2 years on very consistent minutes.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Lab Rat, what do you think of the new backup PG, Raymond Felton? I feel pretty good about. A lot of experience & he seems to be holding up well having played 160 games over the last 2 years on very consistent minutes.
He's an upgrade over Christon, so I'm happy about that. If he stays healthy he'll contribute, so the risk is simply whether he'll hold up for the entire season. Despite his weight, he plays solid defense and is a capable passer. He also gets to the rim pretty well and should be able to run pick-n-rolls with our big men. He has playoff experience and also has played for 4 other Western Conference teams, so his experience and knowledge should help the younger guys.

I was kind of hoping for Aaron Brooks or Ty Lawson, but Brooks is not as good on defense as Felton and Lawson is a headcase. I'd say that Felton is a lower risk than either of those guys.