Paul George to Thunder

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 19, 2012
Thunder got Paul George for Oladipo and Sabonis- that's it! And save $4 mil this year. They'll have to keep at it to get the right pieces to compete for title and convince George this is more than one year rental!

Nov 27, 2007
Thunder got Paul George for Oladipo and Sabonis- that's it! And save $4 mil this year. They'll have to keep at it to get the right pieces to compete for title and convince George this is more than one year rental!
LOOOOOVE the move, for so many reasons.

1. PG just turned 27 years old.
2. PG is a better Robin to RW's Batman than Olidipo.
3. I think PG will fit well, if not better, from an offensive flow perspective than KD or Olidipo. (Not saying PG is better than KD, or even as good, but roster construction/type of player, I think ,plays a significant role in success).
4. PG is an elite defender, in addition to offensively. Perhaps best 2-way player other than Lebron & Kawhi?
5. Even if it's a 1-year rental, the move improves long-term flexibility of the Thunder.
6. IF we re-sign Roberson, Andre gets to slide back to SG. He's more valuable there than at SF.
7. Essentially we traded a less & less effective Ibaka for Paul George & Jeremi Grant (who I think has really good upside & should be the new starting PF).
8. Thunder still have great deal of young talent that may well continue to improve through natural maturation.
9. It helps prove to RW that the franchise is in on being elite/contenders.
10. It saves money ($4 million) for this year to make other moves.
11. The following rotation looks mighty enticing:
- PG: Westbrook
- SG: Roberson
- SF: George
- PF: Grant
- C: Adams
- Bench - SG: Abrines
- Bench - SF: McDermott
- Bench - C/PF: Kanter
- Deep Bench: SG: Ferguson
- A lot of defensive flexibility & small-ball options there. Need to get a better backup PG though.

Last edited:

ramases2112

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

2. PG is a better Robin to to RW's Batman than Olidipo.
3. I think PG will fit well, if not better, from an offensive flow perspective than KD or Olidipo. (Not saying PG is better than KD, or even as good, but roster construction/type of player, I think ,plays a significant role in success).
4. PG is an elite defender, in addition to offensively. Perhaps best 2-way player other than Lebron & Kawhi?
5. Even if it's a 1-year rental, the move improves long-term flexibility of the Thunder.
6. IF we re-sign Roberson, Andre gets to slide back to SG. He's more valuable there than at SF.
7. Essentially we traded a less & less effective Ibaka for Paul George & Jeremi Grant (who I think has really good upside & should be the new starting PF).
We are going after Rudy Gay so we can have Grant come off the bench.

ramases2112

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com

2. PG is a better Robin to to RW's Batman than Olidipo.
8. Thunder still have great deal of young talent that may well continue to improve through natural maturation.
9. It helps prove to RW that the franchise is in on being elite/contenders.
10. It saves money ($4 million) for this year to make other moves.
11. The following rotation looks mighty enticing:
- PG: Westbrook
- SG: Roberson
- SF: George
- PF: Grant
- C: Adams
- Bench - SG: Abrines
- Bench - SF: McDermott
- Bench - C/PF: Kanter
- Deep Bench: SG: Ferguson
- A lot of defensive flexibility & small-ball options there. Need to get a better backup PG though.
I agree with the backup PG problem. There was rumors before the PG13 trade that Presti was goingg after MCW. In theory he is a lot better than Semaj.

Nov 27, 2007
I agree with the backup PG problem. There was rumors before the PG13 trade that Presti was goingg after MCW. In theory he is a lot better than Semaj.
I still think the Thunder pursue MCW hard over the next few days. Former ROY who is still young & may be able to get got at $4 million/year or less? Yep, sign me up, poor shooting be damned.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
At PF he would be a great small ball PF. Rudy Gay as a 3rd scorer is where he is likely the best.
I understand your point, but at 31, recovering from a torn achilles, and a fairly well-known malcontent, I still pass for the price he'll likely be looking for ($15+ million/year)

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
I still think the Thunder pursue MCW hard over the next few days. Former ROY who is still young & may be able to get got at $4 million/year or less? Yep, sign me up, poor shooting be damned.
Mcw signed with Charolette for less than 3 mil.
Talking to Swaggy P now

Oct 30, 2007
It looks like the Thunder may be closing in on signing Rudy Gay as well. Sam Presti is putting in work. :thumbup:

Nov 27, 2007
Mcw signed with Charolette for less than 3 mil.
Talking to Swaggy P now
Yeah, looks like it's a buyers' market for backup point guards. A number of solid options available, and MCW's contract ($2.7 million) shows you the going rate. If we're patient, Thunder can get something decent for cheap.

Nov 27, 2007
It seems that Marcus Smart may be on the market now that the Celtics need to shed salary to sign Hayward. I hope Presti has already made a call...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
It seems that Marcus Smart may be on the market now that the Celtics need to shed salary to sign Hayward. I hope Presti has already made a call...
Exactly what I'm thinking! He'd be a terrific backup PG, 6th man, defender. A second team of Smart, Abrines, McDermott, Grant, and Kanter would be excellent. Smart also has playoff experience! Patterson got signed and will start- I'm very interested to see how he fits. Also, our play not to sign Gay likely means we resign Roberson (hopefully price doesn't skyrocket when matching).

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I don't want Rudy Gay. 31 and a torn achilles? And turned down a $14.4 option? Too expensive, too old, & a volume scorer? Hard pass.
How about Patrick Patterson instead?

Oh, and with Hayward needing room the Celtics are looking to dump salary, i.e. Marcus Smart. I know a team that could use a back up point guard too.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Exactly what I'm thinking! He'd be a terrific backup PG, 6th man, defender. A second team of Smart, Abrines, McDermott, Grant, and Kanter would be excellent. Smart also has playoff experience! Patterson got signed and will start- I'm very interested to see how he fits. Also, our play not to sign Gay likely means we resign Roberson (hopefully price doesn't skyrocket when matching).
A lot of Thunder fans cover Rozier more though as he is a better shooter.

Roberson price dropping rapidly with a drying up field of suitors.

Dec 19, 2012
A lot of Thunder fans cover Rozier more though as he is a better shooter.

Roberson price dropping rapidly with a drying up field of suitors.
I think Boston wants to shed Smart since he's a bigger salary. I also think Marcus provides what we need. He could play along Westbrook, and his defensive heavy game should be ok with scoring of McDermott/Abrines/Kanter. Essentially he and Grant play the roles of Roberson/Adams on first team- as core defenders along scorers.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I think Boston wants to shed Smart since he's a bigger salary. I also think Marcus provides what we need. He could play along Westbrook, and his defensive heavy game should be ok with scoring of McDermott/Abrines/Kanter. Essentially he and Grant play the roles of Roberson/Adams on first team- as core defenders along scorers.
I don't disagree.