Pac12 trying to dissolve the NCAA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
So Pac12 football players have issued a list of demands.
One demand is that the conference give 50% of the football revenue to the football players !

So Big12 is $38M, SEC $44M and Big $54M payout to each school. So avg of about $45M and 50% would be $22.5M and if 85 scholarship players = $265,000/player

That's on top of their $30K tuition/books + $20K dining table/training etc. So these guys want to be pay about $315K/year !

And they want full insurance coverage for 6 years after they leave the school.

Now they know if the PAC12 agrees to this then they'll be out of the NCAA and they are fine with that. Hoping other Conference athletes will join them and bring an end to NCAA.

I'm fine with an end to NCAA.
I'm not fine with the end to college athletics (which is what this will lead to, it would be a Triple A ball for baseball or G League for basketball).

Last edited:

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I knew someone who was a shop steward at Eastern Airlines. The union played a big part in destroying that company. I met him when he had moved on to be a shop steward at another airline. That's a little dramatic compared to what is taking place here but some may succeed in setting college sports back pretty bad, but they may get a payout as they run from the burning building.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
After the chuba/gundy/holder/hargis/media nonsense and all the whining I wish to point out to the dumbasses involved in this system that there is a limit. I am tired of hearing about poor under privileged, misunderstood, uncared for, victimized (unless we are talking about assault) athletes. If you don't like your scholarship and other compensation then go get a job and put yourself through college. There's lots of us that did, or are doing it. You want to burn your house down with greed, people will find other things to watch.

wrenhal

Banned
Banned
Aug 11, 2011
So Pac12 football players have issued a list of demands.
One demand is that the conference give 50% of the football revenue to the football players !

So Big12 is $38M, SEC $44M and Big $54M. So avg of about $45M and 50% would be $22.5M and if 85 scholarship players = $265,000/player

That's on top of their $30K tuition/books + $20K dining table/training etc. So these guys want to be pay about $315K/year !

And they want full insurance coverage for 6 years after they leave the school.

Now they know if the PAC12 agrees to this then they'll be out of the NCAA and they are fine with that. Hoping other Conference athletes will join them and bring an end to NCAA.

I'm fine with an end to NCAA.
I'm not fine with the end to college athletics (which is what this will lead to, it would be a Triple A ball for baseball or G League for basketball).
Are you saying 22.5 million per school? Or for the whole conference? Because if it's the conference then you have more than 85 players to split it amongst.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Are you saying 22.5 million per school? Or for the whole conference? Because if it's the conference then you have more than 85 players to split it amongst.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes, each school received an avg of $45MM so they want half of that for the players of that school

Oct 30, 2007
Do they care or understand that the football money pays for all of the other sports at the university?
Their demands call for Stanford to reinstate the sports they cut while asking for half the revenue that funds those sports. I'm not sure they understand how this whole money thing works.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Or asking for 50% of Conference playout when most of the budget is already spent on football.

So may not be going directly into the players pocket, but where do they think the $ come from to feed them, and cloth them, and provide TAs, and great locker facilities, and training rooms, and barber shops, . . . .

Guess they want to go back to wooden bleachers, metal lockers, horse shears, plastic buckets filled with concrete for weights, etc.

Sep 9, 2013
Pac 12 football is irrelevant. They should just cancel the season and let their players stew on that.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
After the chuba/gundy/holder/hargis/media nonsense and all the whining I wish to point out to the dumbasses involved in this system that there is a limit. I am tired of hearing about poor under privileged, misunderstood, uncared for, victimized (unless we are talking about assault) athletes. If you don't like your scholarship and other compensation then go get a job and put yourself through college. There's lots of us that did, or are doing it. You want to burn your house down with greed, people will find other things to watch.
I’ve said it for a while now, and it’s becoming more and more true each day.
Many (not all) college athletes are paid quite well to be an athlete. They just don’t value the currency.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
It may be time for all collegiate sports to go away for a few years.

Then bring it back as non scholarship sport only.
I agree to a certain extent. Long term, what probably needs to happen is that every sport has a minor league system for kids who want to go straight out of HS, and no more athletic scholarships for athletes who decide to go to college. Athletes can still get free living and meals as well as all the free apparel, etc.

I don’t see that happening though.