OSU Wrestling @ NCAA Championships - Pittsburgh, PA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
And then he would take over his path forward which should be one of the easier ones (have not looked at bracket to verify though). Strange as it sounds I think Joe should match up decently with Marinelli. Just stay the hell away from his inside trip.
It's actually the toughest path forward for a one seed I've seen in my time keeping up with the sport. Second round probably versus Viruet from Brown, who is really solid. Then there's the round of 16 against Mikhi Lewis from Va Tech or Daniel Romero from Utah Valley. And then you have Evan Wick and Chance Marsteller sitting there in the semis waiting for you! It's a rough draw, no doubt... and Joe probably does match up very well with Marinelli if he can keep from gassing.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Looking at the brackets... I think we have a really good shot at having 4 guys in the finals and 6 All-Americans.

If Joe Smith and Kaid Brock step up to their talent level, then we really could upend this thing. Penn State is way out ahead of us this season, but with big performances from those two and maybe a surprise from Dakota Geer there is a real opportunity for the Pokes to come home Sunday with #35.

Potential Finalists:
125: Nick Piccinnini
133: Daton Fix
197: Preston Weigel
HWT: Derek White

All-Americans:
149: Kaden Gfeller
174: Jacobe Smith

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Looking at the brackets... I think we have a really good shot at having 4 guys in the finals and 6 All-Americans.

If Joe Smith and Kaid Brock step up to their talent level, then we really could upend this thing. Penn State is way out ahead of us this season, but with big performances from those two and maybe a surprise from Dakota Geer there is a real opportunity for the Pokes to come home Sunday with #35.

Potential Finalists:

All-Americans:
I agree and I do think if Joe Smith wins his first 2 matches he will AA, two weeks at weight and to get back to normal (as much as you can) he will be ready to prove his ranking wrong.
I think Weigel, Nic Pic, and White have the best chances to win Championships. 133 is way too loaded to predict that and Fix wrestles a lot of close matches. Coming out of the Big 12 Weigel impressed me the most, he is the most dominant wrestler I have seen on top in a long long time. I feel like the schedule Coach Smith set up this year has us prepared to go into the NCAA's with a legitimate shot at the title.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I agree and I do think if Joe Smith wins his first 2 matches he will AA, two weeks at weight and to get back to normal (as much as you can) he will be ready to prove his ranking wrong.
I think Weigel, Nic Pic, and White have the best chances to win Championships. 133 is way too loaded to predict that and Fix wrestles a lot of close matches. Coming out of the Big 12 Weigel impressed me the most, he is the most dominant wrestler I have seen on top in a long long time. I feel like the schedule Coach Smith set up this year has us prepared to go into the NCAA's with a legitimate shot at the title.
I don't think you can seriously pick Weigel to beat Bo Nickel and I also think it's disingenuous to not pick Daton Fix. The weight is deep, but the toughest guys are on the bottom of the bracket and the guy coming out of that will be completely beat up by the finals.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I hope you're right on Fix and wrong on Weigel. I saw a guy predict 9 of the 10 champions from the big 10 and that Weigel would be majored in the finals. I think if Weigel is on top he won't be giving up any points regardless of who he is wrestling. I understand that Nickel is very very good but he has the ability to lose a match. I certainly don't want to be disingenuous.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I hope you're right on Fix and wrong on Weigel. I saw a guy predict 9 of the 10 champions from the big 10 and that Weigel would be majored in the finals. I think if Weigel is on top he won't be giving up any points regardless of who he is wrestling. I understand that Nickel is very very good but he has the ability to lose a match. I certainly don't want to be disingenuous.
I mean I think it's Fix at 133 and Yanni at 141 and the rest will probably be Big 10 champs.

Also just realized that Penn State will probably have 8 AAs with all but one finishing in the top 3. They're out of control good.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2007
Slightly off topic and way early, but does anyone know where to find the dual schedule for next year? I've looked but can't seem to find it.
Lol.... good luck with that. We're notorious for being one of the last schools to release a schedule. People will be on here in September and October trying to piece our schedule together by looking at other teams' schedules.

Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Lol.... good luck with that. We're notorious for being one of the last schools to release a schedule. People will be on here in September and October trying to piece our schedule together by looking at other teams' schedules.
I would like to make an away dual but my wife has to submit her vacation leave for the year now. Makes it impossible to plan ahead. If only I were Carnac The Magnificent.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii

Potential Finalists:

All-Americans:
Thanks for making this thread. For some of us, this is the easiest way to find out what's going on down there. Please, keep it up.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
I haven't been on here in a few weeks and I hate to second guess Coach Smith BUT we basically kicked an almost guaranteed AA (Rogers) out of the lineup to get a #33 seed (Joe Smith) and #26 seed (Geer). I'm sure he had a grand plan but it doesn't appear its going to work out (watch JoJo go out and smoke Marinelli now lol)

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Good luck to OSU this week at the NCAA championships. Here's our preview...

PITTSBURGH — Oklahoma State coach John Smith has a simple desire going into the 2019 NCAA Wrestling Championships:

“I would like for us to focus on developing the belief that we can and should win,” he said. “That has to start in the first round and continue throughout the three days. That’s what we need to continue to build on for us to be where we want to be.”

For the Cowboys to win their 35th team title, they must exceed Smith’s strongest hopes, even as the unbeaten, second-ranked team in the nation and Big 12 Conference champion.

Penn State continues to be the massive stumbling block for the rest of collegiate wrestling, having won three straight and seven of the past eight titles. The Nittany Lions are prohibitive favorites to continue their dominance when action begins at 11 a.m. Thursday at PPG Paints Arena.

OSU does have a chance to make some noise should Penn State stumble. Derek White, 28-1 at 285 pounds, and 133-pounder Daton Fix (31-1) are seeded No. 1. Unbeaten Nick Piccininni (30-0) is No. 2 at 125, and 197-pounder Preston Weigel (11-0) is a No. 3 seed.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
I haven't been on here in a few weeks and I hate to second guess Coach Smith BUT we basically kicked an almost guaranteed AA (Rogers) out of the lineup to get a #33 seed (Joe Smith) and #26 seed (Geer). I'm sure he had a grand plan but it doesn't appear its going to work out (watch JoJo go out and smoke Marinelli now lol)
No the plan was to get Wiegel back in the lineup and have Jacobe be at a better weight for himself and both of those have worked well so far (very well in the case of Preston's seeding). You are just looking at the affects of those decisions in that Joe dropped down and beat Rogers in a ranking match. John said himself this week that there was not much he could do, he is going to put the wrestler on the mat that wins in a head to head match. Not sure anyone would want him to do differently either. Only other option would be to not allow Joe to drop down but then you would have the same discussion just with him and Jacobe.