OSU Wrestling @ NCAA Championships - Pittsburgh, PA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Dakota Geer is the 26 seed. Pulled the 7 seed from NC State on the bottom half of the bracket.

Rasheed from Penn State getting the 2 seed is BS.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Joe Smith got put in the pigtail and will have to wrestle 1 seed Alex Marinelli if he wins that first one.

Joe's going to have to gut this thing out. See what he's made of, man.
Ugh. The complete lack of matches at 165 doomed him. Hope he's ready for the challenge.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ugh. The complete lack of matches at 165 doomed him. Hope he's ready for the challenge.
Yeah it's a really weird circumstance. He is capable of shaking this thing up but he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he's capable of taking the adversity and punching it in the f'ing mouth. I hope he proves all of us wrong.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm a simple guy who likes things boiled down a bit. On the day are you pretty happy with our seeds compared to your expectations?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I’ll never understand it. Opening weekend of March Madness is arguably one of the greatest spectator events in all of sports. The NCAA decides to put wrestling on that same weekend, WHY? This makes no sense.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm a simple guy who likes things boiled down a bit. On the day are you pretty happy with our seeds compared to your expectations?
Yeah 125, 133, 197, and HWT all turned out pretty favorable for us. Really don't think it's unreasonable for us to see 2 finalists out of that group... Maybe even 3.

At 149 and 174 I think they're moderately fair. I would've liked Jacobe to get a higher seed but he's been on fire lately so could make it interesting.

At 141 and 165... I mean... These guys didn't really show a lot of heart this season, really. They both have a ton of talent, so you know the guys in their draw are going to be focused on them. Maybe they'll surprise us and make it interesting? I hate to talk down guys that have been in the program and that grew up in Stillwater, but damn they are frustrating to watch sometimes. They can also be exciting to watch sometimes.

Nov 8, 2013
I’ll never understand it. Opening weekend of March Madness is arguably one of the greatest spectator events in all of sports. The NCAA decides to put wrestling on that same weekend, WHY? This makes no sense.
Probably because ESPN does not have March Madness broadcast rights. This opens up ESPN for March Mat-ness.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
But the LAST seed? They really think that Joe could not beat a single wrestler in that bracket?

I can see not doing him any favors for the lack of matches at 165, but it seems like his overall season should have earned him higher than the 33 seed out of 33 wrestlers.

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
But the LAST seed? They really think that Joe could not beat a single wrestler in that bracket?

I can see not doing him any favors for the lack of matches at 165, but it seems like his overall season should have earned him higher than the 33 seed out of 33 wrestlers.
Unfortunately, for seeding, you can only consider his resume at 165 which was 4-2 without any quality wins. I don't think anyone believes that's his actual seed by ability, but based on seeding criteria, it's in no way surprising.

Jul 24, 2014
Unfortunately, for seeding, you can only consider his resume at 165 which was 4-2 without any quality wins. I don't think anyone believes that's his actual seed by ability, but based on seeding criteria, it's in no way surprising.
Except they did the exact opposite for Amar Dhesi, the Oregon State HWT. He got a #6 seed in spite of the fact that he beat nobody and was injured for much of the year. They did a terrible job seeding this tournament, mostly because they were inconsistent with how they applied the criteria.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Except they did the exact opposite for Amar Dhesi, the Oregon State HWT. He got a #6 seed in spite of the fact that he beat nobody and was injured for much of the year. They did a terrible job seeding this tournament, mostly because they were inconsistent with how they applied the criteria.
Same with Shakur Rasheed at 197. He pussed out of every tough matchup this season... turning into Cael's MO if his guy isn't an absolute hammer.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
These injury defaults, especially in conference tournaments, need to be counted as losses. Seems like many wrestlers were rewarded for it.
Micic was the only one punished, really... but even then he probably should've been the 3 seed and Suriano the 2.

I don't think they screwed up with Joe Smith... I think it kind of screws over Alex Marinelli... but Joe got what he deserved. And I hope he does screw up one of the Iowa golden child's season. That would be awesome!

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Micic was the only one punished, really... but even then he probably should've been the 3 seed and Suriano the 2.

I don't think they screwed up with Joe Smith... I think it kind of screws over Alex Marinelli... but Joe got what he deserved. And I hope he does screw up one of the Iowa golden child's season. That would be awesome!
And then he would take over his path forward which should be one of the easier ones (have not looked at bracket to verify though). Strange as it sounds I think Joe should match up decently with Marinelli. Just stay the hell away from his inside trip.