OSU Wrestling @ NCAA Championships - Pittsburgh, PA

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
When: March 21-23
Where: PPG Paints Arena - Pittsburgh, PA
Session Schedule w/ TV Viewing Options: (All Times EDT)
  • Session I | 3.21 - Noon | ESPN 3 (All Mats) ESPNU (Broadcast)
  • Session II | 3.21 - 7pm | ESPN 3 (All Mats) ESPNU (Broadcast)
  • Session III | 3.22 - 11am | ESPN 3 (All Mats) ESPNU (Broadcast)
  • Session IV (Semi-Finals / Blood Round) | 3.22 - 8pm | ESPN 3 (All Mats) ESPNU (Broadcast)
  • Session V (Medal Round) | 3.23 - 11am | ESPN 3 (All Mats) ESPNU (Broadcast)
  • Session VI (Finals) | 3.23 - 7pm | ESPN
Notes: If you're going to watch anything... Friday night is the night to watch. It's the most tense, most fun wrestling event. If you're dipping your toe in the water with wrestling... watch Friday night and you'll be hooked.

Refresher on NCAA Tournament Scoring. (Note: Writer is an idiot)

Who are the Pokes sending? (*Rankings not Seeds)
125: No. 2 - Nick Piccinnini (East Setauket, NY)
133: No. 1 - Daton Fix (Sand Springs, OK)
141: No. 14 - Kaid Brock (Stillwater, OK)
149: No. 8 - Kaden Gfeller (Oklahoma City, OK)
157: No Qualifier
165: No. 15 - Joe Smith
174: No. 6 - Jacobe Smith
184: No. 15 - Dakota Geer
197: No. 4 - Preston Weigel
HWT: No. 1 - Derek White

How many wrestlers did our top competition send?
Good news! Only Ohio State qualified all 10 wrestlers...
Penn State - 9
Ohio State - 10
Iowa - 9
Michigan - 8
Minnesota - 8
Missouri - 9
Cornell - 7
Nebraska - 8
Rutgers - 6

Programs coached by Pokes:
Wyoming - sending 7 wrestlers.
North Carolina State - sending 9 wrestlers.
North Carolina - sending 8 wrestlers.
Arizona State - sending 5 wrestlers.

Big 12 Programs:
Iowa State - sending 9 wrestlers.
Northern Iowa - sending 7 wrestlers.
Oklahoma - sending 5 wrestlers.
Fresno St - sending 5 wrestlers.
Utah Valley - sending 6 wrestlers.
Wyoming - sending 7 wrestlers.
North Dakota State - sending 4 wrestlers.
West Virginia - sending 5 wrestlers.
South Dakota State - sending 1 wrestler.
Air Force - sending 1 wrestler.
Northern Colorado - sending 3 wrestlers.

CTeam's Take... Huge Homer:
I think OSU has a slight chance to compete for #35 / #53 this season... Here's why...
  1. Weird stuff happens at NCAAs. In 2017, Anthony Collica was a the 2 seed and failed to AA, in spite of being one of the absolute best in the country that season at his weight... In 2018, unranked and overmatched Kyle Conel from Kent State shocked the world and made the Finals... upsetting other finals contenders throughout the tournament. So you really never know what's going to happen in this thing and OSU is extremely talented... Kaid Brock could be a finalist. Joe Smith could be too. They're really, really good... and while they've certainly struggled, it's still in there somewhere! Of course Daton Fix could lose in the blood round... you just never know.
  2. Favorable draws for the Pokes. Nicky Pich, Daton Fix, Preston Weigel and Derek White all took care of business this past weekend, and all season, and put themselves in position to get very favorable draws in the tournament. Daton and Derek should be one seeds, which will allow them to be on opposite sides of the bracket from stiff competition. A one seed for Daton means that Stevan Micic from Michigan and Nick Suriano from Rutgers should be the 2 and 3 seeds... and Austin Desanto finishing 4th at Big 10s likely means he will be the 6 seed on the opposite side of the bracket. For White, if he's the one seed that will put Cassar from Penn State (who White beat in January) and Stevenson from Minnesota (White's only loss) on the opposite side of the bracket as the 2 and 3 seeds. Preston Weigel may have worked himself into the 3 seed... which would put him on the opposite side from Bo Nickal and set up an epic finals match. Nick Piccinnini, on the other hand, might need some help from the seeding committee... it would be great if Jack Mueller from Virginia jumped Spencer Lee from Iowa. Mueller (a Texas product) is one of three undefeated wrestlers in the weight class and while he is clearly behind Picc, Micic, and even Lee it would be odd for the seeding committee to place a 3 loss wrestler in Lee over Mueller.
  3. OSU wrestlers are extremely focused on this goal. Seriously. None of them have shut up about it all season. Every single one of them, from Freshman Daton Fix to senior Preston Weigel to spurned senior Chandler Rogers have constantly talked about desiring to be the team that brings home OSU's first title in more than a decade. These guys are completely locked in on it... and as somebody that believes that you can speak something into existence, I believe that they are fully capable of doing it... and they'll be motivated to go above and beyond for their coach, the GOAT, who just lost his father... who may have produced one of the most elite gene pools in modern history. Seriously. Look at @Seth25809er's article on this man. The USOC should harness his powers in some way to clone super athletes. End of the day... these kind of things really matter, and I think that with some chinks in the Penn State armor, that OSU can win this thing... we need it to go pretty much perfectly and get 8 of the 9 guys to AA with at least 3 finalists then I think we win.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2008
My worries and esp after watching Big 12s is our timidity. It has been a pattern for over a decade. Our kids have felt so much pressure that they seem to be less aggressive in big matches. Yes we dominated Iowa but if Weigel and Fix get stall penalties like they probably should’ve and we lose two 1-pt matches then that dual is a one weight (<6pt) match. Yes I like NP and DFs confidence & potential but besides our big 2 I wouldn’t bet for any of our underseeds to win. I just don’t have confidence. We never get bonus, our only pinner will be in sweats, Kaid has looked bad all yr. just don’t think we have the guns to finish above 3rd esp in PA. Hope I’m wrong

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I got a little depressed watching the NCAA's the past couple of years. Every time you'd turn around you'd see a Penn St wrestler getting bonus points. I know nothing is set in stone, but hopefully some of our guys are set up to get some much needed bonus points in the first few rounds. It seems like it's almost a necessity just to keep up with Penn St these days.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'm honestly shocked they qualified that many.
I'm pretty encouraged by Wyoming, Utah Valley, and Fresno State... Utah Valley and Fresno State are pretty new programs (Fresno cancelled the program and brought it back recently), and they're qualifying as many or more guys as well oiled programs like Princeton, Lehigh, and Rutgers...

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
My worries and esp after watching Big 12s is our timidity. It has been a pattern for over a decade. Our kids have felt so much pressure that they seem to be less aggressive in big matches. Yes we dominated Iowa but if Weigel and Fix get stall penalties like they probably should’ve and we lose two 1-pt matches then that dual is a one weight (<6pt) match. Yes I like NP and DFs confidence & potential but besides our big 2 I wouldn’t bet for any of our underseeds to win. I just don’t have confidence. We never get bonus, our only pinner will be in sweats, Kaid has looked bad all yr. just don’t think we have the guns to finish above 3rd esp in PA. Hope I’m wrong
Timid isn't what I would use to describe the results at the Big 12s...

Picc had a TF and a major. Fix had a fall. Kaid had a TF and a major. Kaden had a major. Joe had two falls. Jacobe had a fall and a major. Geer had two majors. Weigel had a TF and two majors. White had 3 majors and a TF in the finals.

I mean... that's 30 bonus points out of our 158 total points. Including just completely dominant performances by Jacobe, Weigel, and White.

In the Iowa dual, a stall penalty (which Fix should've gotten a warning but shouldn't have lost a point as he only had the one obvious stall) in the Fix match wouldn't have effected the outcome of that match at all. Fix pretty well dominated Desanto... just couldn't turn him. In the Weigel match, I'm pretty sure he did give up a stall point and still won with, like, 3 minutes of riding time.

And it's not just a big two in Nick Piccinnini and Daton Fix... Derek White is probably going to be the one seed! Weigel and Jacobe are also in amazing shape to make a run. Kaid hasn't looked great all year but he and Joe have looked suspect every year and still found a way to AA... so you can't just count them out.

You may not have confidence... but the team for sure does. I don't necessarily think we will beat Penn State out, but I can for sure see us placing above Ohio State. It's going to be close.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I got a little depressed watching the NCAA's the past couple of years. Every time you'd turn around you'd see a Penn St wrestler getting bonus points. I know nothing is set in stone, but hopefully some of our guys are set up to get some much needed bonus points in the first few rounds. It seems like it's almost a necessity just to keep up with Penn St these days.
It is... and last year was a huge let down in Cleveland, no doubt. But two years ago we had, what, 8 All-Americans and overall a pretty great season.

It sucks that Penn State has raised the bar like this, but really it's been on the backs of Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, and Bo Nickal. Retherford graduated last year and this will be the last time we have to see Nolf and Nickal... They have three other great wrestlers in Joseph, Hall, and Cassar, but Cassar is a senior and Joseph and Hall don't bonus like the three previous that I mentioned.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
It is... and last year was a huge let down in Cleveland, no doubt. But two years ago we had, what, 8 All-Americans and overall a pretty great season.

It sucks that Penn State has raised the bar like this, but really it's been on the backs of Zain Retherford, Jason Nolf, and Bo Nickal. Retherford graduated last year and this will be the last time we have to see Nolf and Nickal... They have three other great wrestlers in Joseph, Hall, and Cassar, but Cassar is a senior and Joseph and Hall don't bonus like the three previous that I mentioned.
I also believe Cassar is applying for a 6th year.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm pretty encouraged by Wyoming, Utah Valley, and Fresno State... Utah Valley and Fresno State are pretty new programs (Fresno cancelled the program and brought it back recently), and they're qualifying as many or more guys as well oiled programs like Princeton, Lehigh, and Rutgers...
I like the addition of the affiliate schools, particularly Air Force - I have a particular fondness for the service academies. I like that Iowa State is sending 9 this year. But, dadgummit, OU has a proud wrestling tradition of its own and they suck right now. We need them to be Big 12 quality and not Big 12 affiliate quality, which is what they are. We also need them to untuck their tail from between their legs and resume our home and home dual schedule - bunch of pansies. West Virginia needs to step up and replace Missouri/Nebraska in quality. I think where they sit in the recruiting fields they ought to be able to do it.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I like the addition of the affiliate schools, particularly Air Force - I have a particular fondness for the service academies. I like that Iowa State is sending 9 this year. But, dadgummit, OU has a proud wrestling tradition of its own and they suck right now. We need them to be Big 12 quality and not Big 12 affiliate quality, which is what they are. We also need them to untuck their tail from between their legs and resume our home and home dual schedule - bunch of pansies. West Virginia needs to step up and replace Missouri/Nebraska in quality. I think where they sit in the recruiting fields they ought to be able to do it.
Yeah... OU does need to get better. I think that the guys who were critical of Roselli early were right... he's collecting a paycheck and counting down the days to go back to Ohio or the Big 10. Maryland's coach is stepping down, so this may be that window, especially since his golden child Kyle Snyder is from that area.

West Virginia will get better. Their new coach built Edinboro into a really solid program by cleaning up the leftovers of Pennsylvania wrestling. Heck, Pat Lugo is wrestling at Iowa now, but Flynn got him to go to Edinboro from Florida. Same with Sean Russell who is wrestling at Minnesota now and is expected to AA. Flynn was at Edinboro for 21 years... but with the resources West Virginia has I think he should be able to get them going before we know it.

I also think that UNI and Wyoming are more than just affiliate members... I think they are full on sleepers in the wrestling world and very well could establish themselves as a problem for everybody moving forward.

I do think it would be beneficial for the current iteration of the Big 12 to combine forces with the ACC. They only have six schools... Pitt, NC State, UNC, Virginia Tech, Virginia, and Duke... Those are solid brands that would help raise the profile of the conference tournament quite a bit. It would put us at 18 teams... but that's not really much of a hurdle if you have qualifying for the conference tourney. Would be interesting.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
The exciting thing about wrestling is that a win or loss is never certain. Anything can happen. A minimal mistake can cause a great wrestler to give up his life long dream of becoming a champion.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
AA on the team 125, 133, 174, 197, 285. I have no doubt that these weights will get AA and all have a legitimate shot at the finals. I'm hoping that Brock (149) comes out of the Big 12's hungry rather than disappointed if so he has the ability to AA. Joe Smith (165) by all rights should AA he looked extremely gassed in the match he lost and gave up the loss at the end of the 3rd period. The rest of the time he looked really good, in his defense losing your grandfather has an effect on you. He has the ability to come out and win the whole tournament. Geer's (184) style makes me nervous, he gives up points pretty easily but he is a gritty grinder and usually finds a way to eek out a win. That doesn't make me really confident in him but he also has the ability to AA. I think if Boo was healthy we would put a whole lot of pressure on PSU for the title, the way it is now we, like CTeam said, have to have everything perfect to win, truly we are very close and could upset PSU.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Now that the at-large selections have been announced, how soon do they announce the seedings and brackets? I know that the tournament is not until next week.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Now that the at-large selections have been announced, how soon do they announce the seedings and brackets? I know that the tournament is not until next week.
They're coming out here in about 3 hours, I think.

Edit... 1 hour! Even better!

https://twitter.com/ncaawrestling/status/1105861725583224834