OSU vs Texas A&M? Potential bowl game

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 27, 2011
I expect OSU to end up in Phoenix, not due to others meriting the Houston and Memphis bowls but rather that:

Houston won’t pass on Tech who didn’t bowl last year and will travel REALLY well there.

Memphis just took the Pokes and will probably grab another available squad if they can. KSU or TCU are likely the challengers there. Gotta think if KSU can beat KU and another they’d be a strong traveling group there.

That likely means Phoenix. Which would be similar to Mason Rudolph’s freshman year where OSU jump started a solid follow up year with a bowl win out west

Last edited:

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
See.....that's a perfect match.

Two teams that believe their programs are much better than they actually are.

Call it optimism or call it delusions of grandeur.

I'll take Optimism for $600, Alex.
I know, right? We're not getting beat by these opponents...we just need a few extra quarters!

jnewtont

Territorial Marshal
Oct 18, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
KU
WVU
TCU

All likely wins. ISU is possible as well. Gotta think OSU does it
^Optimistic^.

I said there was no way Tech would beat us.
Then I said we'll beat Baylor because we've had two weeks to prepare.
They credit Einstein with saying "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."
At this point, I would only be willing to put money on the KU game and that's only because it is in Stillwater. If it were in Lawrence I wouldn't bet on it either.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
KU
WVU
TCU

BU - Good 4th quarter by the way...I like your new coach, seems like a good man. I heard he had a nice conversation with our freshmen QB right after the game...encouraging words I suppose.

I'm not sure we can count anything as a win unless we can fill the turnover holes in our currently sinking ship.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
^Optimistic^.

I said there was no way Tech would beat us.
Then I said we'll beat Baylor because we've had two weeks to prepare.
They credit Einstein with saying "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."
At this point, I would only be willing to put money on the KU game and that's only because it is in Stillwater. If it were in Lawrence I wouldn't bet on it either.
I guess you didn't see the Texas game in Austin...50-48 over KU..so no gimmies left on the schedule...maybe WVU but it's on the road. IF we keep gifting turnovers we won't win games.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
At this point I just want us to make a bowl...any bowl. That would be great considering where we are now.
lol

You realize that this post would have had you tarred and feathered had it been posted two months ago (probably by yourself), right?

Oct 27, 2011
KU
WVU
TCU

BU - Good 4th quarter by the way...I like your new coach, seems like a good man. I heard he had a nice conversation with our freshmen QB right after the game...encouraging words I suppose.

I'm not sure we can count anything as a win unless we can fill the turnover holes in our currently sinking ship.
Thanks!

In my estimation you lost to two ranked teams and a Tech squad that’s definitely top 40. KU and WV should easily be wins as they are the two worst in the conference and TCU has its own issues. I expect a bowl for the Pokes but recent bowl invites probably make it the Phoenix one

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Well if you do the math...

* The Top-4 Big-12 Bowls are the Playoff/Sugar/Alamo/Orlando.
I expect those to go in some order to Oklahoma/Texas/Baylor/Iowa State.

* The next 3 Bowls in order are Houston/Memphis/Phoenix
I expect the available teams to be OSU/KSU/TCU. I expect OSU to have the head-to-head against both those teams, so I would expect Houston to select Oklahoma State. That appears to be the scenario ESPN is projecting as well.

Personally, I still don't see Texas Tech being Bowl eligible. They need to win 4 conference games to get to 6-6 and I don't see that happening for them. Of course with games remaining against Kansas, WVU, TCU, and Kansas St they have a chance. They would need to win 3 of those 4 to get there. That's certainly a possibility.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I expect OSU to end up in Phoenix, not due to others meriting the Houston and Memphis bowls but rather that:

Houston won’t pass on Tech who didn’t bowl last year and will travel REALLY well there.

Memphis just took the Pokes and will probably grab another available squad if they can. KSU or TCU are likely the challengers there. Gotta think if KSU can beat KU and another they’d be a strong traveling group there.

That likely means Phoenix. Which would be similar to Mason Rudolph’s freshman year where OSU jump started a solid follow up year with a bowl win out west
You may be right about the selection, but OSU fans have shown up in large numbers for Houston bowl games and for the Kickoff Classic that was there a few years back. Houston is home to our largest alumni base. I saw more fans and paraphernalia for OSU than I saw of Tech while there for 8 years.

Oct 27, 2011
Well if you do the math...

* The Top-4 Big-12 Bowls are the Playoff/Sugar/Alamo/Orlando.
I expect those to go in some order to Oklahoma/Texas/Baylor/Iowa State.

* The next 3 Bowls in order are Houston/Memphis/Phoenix
I expect the available teams to be OSU/KSU/TCU. I expect OSU to have the head-to-head against both those teams, so I would expect Houston to select Oklahoma State. That appears to be the scenario ESPN is projecting as well.
Bowls don’t have to pick head to head winners if I remember correctly

Personally, I still don't see Texas Tech being Bowl eligible. They need to win 4 conference games to get to 6-6 and I don't see that happening for them. Of course with games remaining against Kansas, WVU, TCU, and Kansas St they have a chance. They would need to win 3 of those 4 to get there. That's certainly a possibility.

I think they take three from KU, WVU, and most likely KSU. TCU and UT are winnable as well. If they are there I gotta think the Texas Bowl picks them in a heartbeat.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
lol

You realize that this post would have had you tarred and feathered had it been posted two months ago (probably by yourself), right?
No I began to wonder if we would have a chance at high tier bowls after losing at Halftime in Tulsa and then losing to mediocre Texas. I felt better after KSU and then that proved to be fools gold.

Nov 6, 2010
You may be right about the selection, but OSU fans have shown up in large numbers for Houston bowl games and for the Kickoff Classic that was there a few years back. Houston is home to our largest alumni base. I saw more fans and paraphernalia for OSU than I saw of Tech while there for 8 years.
I just don't see our fans traveling to any low level bowl this year. Maybe I'm wrong and if we finish the year strong the fans will be energized. But I'm feeling a bit of fatigue/entitlement. Now the alumni in Houston will most likely go due to convenience, same reason so many went to the heart of Dallas bowl.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I just don't see our fans traveling to any low level bowl this year. Maybe I'm wrong and if we finish the year strong the fans will be energized. But I'm feeling a bit of fatigue/entitlement. Now the alumni in Houston will most likely go due to convenience, same reason so many went to the heart of Dallas bowl.
You never know it could be one of those years when the miraculous happens to save the season...doubt it, but you just never know. It's still only halfway over. Did we travel pretty good last year?