OSU vs OSU trip

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2013
I've never been to Oregon before but the trip I've planned is:
Tue Aug 27 - arrive PDX, drive to Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock)
Wed Aug 28 - Cannon Beach to Florence (Hug Point, Arch Cape, Tillamook Creamery, Cape Kiwanda, Devil's Punchbowl, Cape Perpetua/Thor's Well, Newport)
Thu Aug 29 - Florence-to-Crater Lake
Fri Aug 30 - Crater Lake to Corvallis
Sat Aug 31 - Columbia River Gorge (Crown Point, Bridal Veil Falls, Wahkeena Falls, Multnomah Falls)

Most all these places have been mentioned by others.
The Tillamook Creamery mentioned by @OKPokeU was a winning unplanned stop for us last time we there! I highly recommend it as a place to stop and eat if you are going up to the north coast area.

Attachments

Nov 29, 2011
Springfield, OR
I've whittled it down to
August 29th late night arrival Pearl District Hotel in Portland
August 30th Voodoo Donuts, Columbia gorge, waterfalls, Salem wine taste 3pm, Pokes 7:30pm...win!
August 30th after game drive to hotel in Newport
August 31st Newport, Cape Perpetua hiking/Thor's well/Yachats back to hotel
September 1st drive back to Portland north along the coast...maybe Cannon Beach and Astoria?
September 2nd fly home EARLY am

Btw, does anyone know where the team is staying? I figured out by accident where the Oregon State team stays and I think I'm going to cancel my reservations there and opt for Newport...Btw it's a small town with a nice resort about 45 min's east of Corvallis
Sounds pretty good. I recommend a hard pass on Voodoo donuts. Pain in the ass for a donut that tastes like nothing more than a donut. If you like beer, Block 15 in Corvallis is excellent, they also just built a new brewery downtown called Sky High Brewing with a rooftop bar area that looks amazing. Mary's Peak is a must just west of Corvallis. Tallest peak on the coastal range and can drive all the way to the top for spectacular views if the weather is clear. Also can hike Mary's Peak's old growth forest trails. This is uniquely Oregon and I would even recommend it over the coast it's that one of a kind. Be aware as others have stated. The drives are windy and long to the coast and not all that scenic as you are going through the coastal "mountain" range on the west side of the Willamette Valley. I'd hard pass on Eugene too unless you are staying here. For an experience, I recommend Inn at the 5th here in Eugene. Eugene/Springfield to Corvallis is very accessible so I do recommend staying here over Portland and do King's Estate over the Salem wines. Also the Heceta Head light house and Yachats is closer and more accessible directly west of us. Also we have "Turn Key" RV rentals which might be a good option for lodging as we have tons of beautiful RV parks everywhere. I will really be doing everything I can to get to this game but I have a newborn so we'll see how it goes!

Nov 29, 2011
Springfield, OR
Also I saw you are going up the gorge. Hood River is a town I'd go to and turn around. The drive west is more beautiful than east for some reason. Also stop at the Vista House right there in the gorge. The views are once in a lifetime. I haven't seen the gorge since the bad fire, hopefully not too horrible. It's huge so pretty sure it will still be amazing. Be aware it is fire season here so be ready to change plans if you are going into the cascades which I would do if you are staying in Eugene/Springfield area. For those of you who don't know, Eugene/Springfield is the same town, just on opposite sides of I-5.

Aug 16, 2012
The Tillamook Creamery mentioned by @OKPokeU was a winning unplanned stop for us last time we there! I highly recommend it as a place to stop and eat if you are going up to the north coast area.
Have never eaten there, but anything Tillamook is good in my book. Folks there definitely know how to
The Beavers will also be wearing orange and black. It's truly a bizarre experience seeing the generic OSU gear in orange and black everywhere all over town.
should we consider going white?

Nov 29, 2011
Springfield, OR
Anyone going? I'm attempting to put together a trip but need advice. It is likely that we will arrive at around midnight on Thursday in Portland and have to return very early in the AM on Monday.

We would plan on Staying in Portland on Thursday night being that its so late and then driving to Corvallis in the am. We have never been to Oregon and we would like to go to the coast at least for part of the short trip, however, don't want to spend a ton of time driving. I'm hoping someone with Oregon experience can give us advice on where to stay and go to have an enjoyable trip even with a shorter time period than we would like (i.e. four nights).

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Go Pokes! Damn the Beavers!
Rack,
The drive from Portland is 2 hours of straight interstate and a fairly easy drive even at night. I've made that drive and it's nice and quiet and safe at that time of night. I recommend getting out of Portland the first night since time is of the essence. I'd stay in Springfield to stage your Oregon stuff to do as well as making the football game. Here's what to do in no particular order. I'll categorize by area.

1. Corvallis (45 minutes-1 hour drive one way): Mary's Peak drive, hike or both; Block 15 for food and beer; Sky High Brewing; Gathering Together Farms for breakfast; Saturday Farmer's Market

2. Coast from Eugene/Springfield (1.5-2 hour drive one way): Heceta Head light house, Heceta Head bead and breakfast if you have the time. It's the actual lighthouse keepers' residence cool stuff; Cape Perpetua

3. Cascades from Eugene/Springfield (45 minutes to 1.5 hours one way): Sahalie Falls; Tokatee Golf Club (stunning golf course must see to believe and it's cheap!); Good Pasture covered bridge; Salt Creek Falls (huge plunge waterfall but not compatible with a day trip to Sahalie Falls and Tokatee Golf Club which are next to each other.)

4. Eugene/Springfield: Inn at the 5th (lodging/ food/shopping); check out the U of O campus and the track facility they are constructing; Ninkasi (beer); King's Estate (world class wine tasting and dining, make a reservation just in case!) *note: Oregon red wine specialty is Pinot Noir. Save the cabernets and merlots for everywhere outside Oregon or you'll miss out on the best wine in the world!

That's what I got. Any questions feel free to ask. If you're having trouble with lodging I know the area and surrounding towns.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2012
Wow that's strange, never seen that in any other state. Is it all full service?
My understanding is that NJ is the only other state. I cannot verify that without looking it up.

The law is from the 50s when Oregon got a jump start on leaning left. Lawmakers felt people were incapable of doing it without harming themselves either by the fumes or actually spilling it on themselves.

@PokeFanWes can fill in some details, but in some areas, drivers actually can pump their own since about two years ago. Only in primarily rural counties with small populations and they have to be at freestanding stations, not at something like a 7-Eleven or a Kroger where something other than gas sales and related services are offered. Guess the thinking is that if someone screws up, only a few people will get hurt at a time???? Makes no sense at all.

Nov 29, 2011
Springfield, OR
My understanding is that NJ is the only other state. I cannot verify that without looking it up.

The law is from the 50s when Oregon got a jump start on leaning left. Lawmakers felt people were incapable of doing it without harming themselves either by the fumes or actually spilling it on themselves.

@PokeFanWes can fill in some details, but in some areas, drivers actually can pump their own since about two years ago. Only in primarily rural counties with small populations and they have to be at freestanding stations, not at something like a 7-Eleven or a Kroger where something other than gas sales and related services are offered. Guess the thinking is that if someone screws up, only a few people will get hurt at a time???? Makes no sense at all.
It's so incredibly dysfunctional you see 7 Elevens and Circle Ks with no gas pumps here because there's less benefit to having fuel service. The QuikTrip business model doesn't exist in Oregon because of this. Plan your gas and keep your tank full especially if your going through the mountains (cell phones don't work through the mountains either). Late night gas stations are virtually non existent so don't need gas after midnight or you're in trouble... lots of truck stops along I-5 though so you're good to go through there

I can verify that NJ is also that way. But they make up for the inconvenience by selling their gas for less than it is here in PA.

Jun 14, 2011
I can verify that NJ is also that way. But they make up for the inconvenience by selling their gas for less than it is here in PA.
Because I recalled there was a law passed saying you could pump your own gas, I was curious and went to look it up. Found out I was only partially correct so I'll add an asterisk to the no pumping gas, and it is an odd one...

"Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that ban self-service gas stations. But thanks to a new law that went into effect on January 1, customers can now pump their own gas in Oregon, though only at stand-alone gas stations in counties with fewer than 40,000 residents. Elsewhere, the ban still holds."

I guess they want to avoid this?
tenor.gif

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
So, I've made a few changes based on the responses here and on another site. Special thanks to local folks like PokefanWes (hope you can figure out a sitter/grandparents/inlaws and make the game if you so desire) and others. It's really cool Pokes helping Pokes have a nice visit. I'm so thankful that other Oklahoma State fans are willing to give advice so folks like me and my spose can have a nice trip. I'm really excited to visit the other OSU as I've always been fascinated by fellow land-grant schools, we are similar yet very different based on our geography.

So thankful! Go Pokes!!