OSU vs OSU trip

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Anyone going? I'm attempting to put together a trip but need advice. It is likely that we will arrive at around midnight on Thursday in Portland and have to return very early in the AM on Monday.

We would plan on Staying in Portland on Thursday night being that its so late and then driving to Corvallis in the am. We have never been to Oregon and we would like to go to the coast at least for part of the short trip, however, don't want to spend a ton of time driving. I'm hoping someone with Oregon experience can give us advice on where to stay and go to have an enjoyable trip even with a shorter time period than we would like (i.e. four nights).

Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Go Pokes! Damn the Beavers!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Anyone going? I'm attempting to put together a trip but need advice. It is likely that we will arrive at around midnight on Thursday in Portland and have to return very early in the AM on Monday.

We would plan on Staying in Portland on Thursday night being that its so late and then driving to Corvallis in the am. We have never been to Oregon and we would like to go to the coast at least for part of the short trip, however, don't want to spend a ton of time driving. I'm hoping someone with Oregon experience can give us advice on where to stay and go to have an enjoyable trip even with a shorter time period than we would like (i.e. four nights).

Poke the Beavers!

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
Limited experience, only been there once about 10 yrs ago. It was the same time of yr so I can assure you'll be fighting Labor Day weekend problems with finding lodging. Oregon coast is spectacular and weather generally very good this time of year.

Nov 6, 2010

If I were you, I'd drive straight west to the coast from Portland on Friday morning, and then spend the day driving down the coast making frequent stops along the way. The game is late, so you can have a nice leisurely drive and still roll into Corvallis in time to check out some pregame stuff. That would leave you Saturday and Sunday to then go see the other more interior scenery such as the Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake, Multnoma Falls, or a hundred other amazing places just depending on what you want to see. One thing to consider though, Multnoma Falls in particular and I'm sure most of the popular areas are pretty crowded on weekends, so Saturday and Sunday be prepared for that.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If I were you, I'd drive straight west to the coast from Portland on Friday morning, and then spend the day driving down the coast making frequent stops along the way. The game is late, so you can have a nice leisurely drive and still roll into Corvallis in time to check out some pregame stuff. That would leave you Saturday and Sunday to then go see the other more interior scenery such as the Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake, Multnoma Falls, or a hundred other amazing places just depending on what you want to see. One thing to consider though, Multnoma Falls in particular and I'm sure most of the popular areas are pretty crowded on weekends, so Saturday and Sunday be prepared for that.
Thanks man, I've been looking for lodging and it is pretty booked up but airbnb's are available all around. I'm not sure about making it all the way down to Crater Lake (although it's very high on my bucket list) that's a bit of a roadie from up north in the state and with only four nights and one of those filled with game day activities...just not enough time to enjoy other areas. I'm hopeful that some of our opponents fans are on the site and can give me some insight on places to stay not too far from Corvallis toward the coast or between them and Portland. I love the recommendation on the drive down the coast on Friday, hadn't thought we would do that until after the game..maybe Saturday/Sunday.

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks man, I've been looking for lodging and it is pretty booked up but airbnb's are available all around. I'm not sure about making it all the way down to Crater Lake (although it's very high on my bucket list) that's a bit of a roadie from up north in the state and with only four nights and one of those filled with game day activities...just not enough time to enjoy other areas. I'm hopeful that some of our opponents fans are on the site and can give me some insight on places to stay not too far from Corvallis toward the coast or between them and Portland. I love the recommendation on the drive down the coast on Friday, hadn't thought we would do that until after the game..maybe Saturday/Sunday.
We found a VRBO cabin in Philomath, just west of Corvalis. Friends are staying in Newport. Crater Lake is amazing, but lots of other stuff there is too. I enjoyed just driving along the Umpqua river and stopping whenever we saw something cool to look at. Another tip, a lot of people seem to like Astoria for some reason, but I would skip it if I were you. I saw nothing that interesting about it, especially compared to all the other amazing scenery in that state.

Oct 19, 2008
I've never been to Oregon (It will be state 47) and I'm ok with driving some so we are covering some ground. We're flying into Portland Friday morning then are hoping to have a late lunch at a winery on the way to Corvalis. After the game, we are driving down to Eugene to spend the night. Saturday, getting up early and heading to Crater Lake for some hiking. It's about 2.5-3 hours from Eugene. From what I've read, most hikes are relatively short so we should have plenty of time there if we get there by 9am. I'm driving back to Eugene that night and then driving to Portland Sunday morning to see the town, hit up breweries etc. Then will fly out Monday morning from Portland.

Crater Lake is a bit of a drive but it just looks too beautiful to miss and I have no idea when I'll be back there so want to take advantage if I'm that close.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I've never been to Oregon (It will be state 47) and I'm ok with driving some so we are covering some ground. We're flying into Portland Friday morning then are hoping to have a late lunch at a winery on the way to Corvalis. After the game, we are driving down to Eugene to spend the night. Saturday, getting up early and heading to Crater Lake for some hiking. It's about 2.5-3 hours from Eugene. From what I've read, most hikes are relatively short so we should have plenty of time there if we get there by 9am. I'm driving back to Eugene that night and then driving to Portland Sunday morning to see the town, hit up breweries etc. Then will fly out Monday morning from Portland.

Crater Lake is a bit of a drive but it just looks too beautiful to miss and I have no idea when I'll be back there so want to take advantage if I'm that close.
just a tip....Check with the National Park Service before making the trek to Crater just to make sure the flies are NOT in season. It's one of the most beautiful places in America but I have heard from hiking blogs about fly season and it's no joke...would hate for anyone to dive that far and eat nothing but lake flies during their hike. Let us know what you find out as I might want to make the trek if they aren't there over that weekend.

zeemosmc

Greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Dec 9, 2014
Houston
I was just at Crater Lake in June. I didn't notice any flies, but the mosquitoes were insane. There was still some snow around the rim at the time, so they weren't bad there due to the colder temps, but the lower areas around the outside of the Crater were crazy with mosquitoes.

Nov 8, 2013
We found a VRBO cabin in Philomath, just west of Corvalis. Friends are staying in Newport. Crater Lake is amazing, but lots of other stuff there is too. I enjoyed just driving along the Umpqua river and stopping whenever we saw something cool to look at. Another tip, a lot of people seem to like Astoria for some reason, but I would skip it if I were you. I saw nothing that interesting about it, especially compared to all the other amazing scenery in that state.
Unless you just want to check out Portland, I would strongly second the recommendations from @teachum to get to the coast as fast as possible and to enjoy the random sights along the Umpqua River. These pics were just along the side of Highway 38 a few years ago. Portland rush hour traffic can be nasty and routes are severely limited by stop-and-go traffic over bridges and through tunnels... be sure to take Portland traffic into consideration on Friday morning. Maybe get to the south side of town or suburbs on Thursday night to get a jump start. Again - unless you want to some time in Portland proper.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2004
Spokane, Washington
I live in Washington state and make it to the Oregon coast as often as possible. From Portland to, say, Seaside or Rockaway Beach is only 1.5 hours. I agree with the other 2 posters to get to the Coast as soon as humanly possible. Portland is nothing (except the rose garden and some pretty good restaurants), so you won't be missing much there.

Edited to add: Multnomah is absolutely beautiful, but it is in the opposite direction of Corvallis and the Coast.

Last edited:

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
A beaver posted this on another message board....

Greetings from a Stillwater born Oregon State grad. I follow both Cowboy and Beaver sports and have had Beaver football season tickets since I graduated in 1995. I also have lived in Oregon, mostly on the coast, for the past 40 years so I thought I'd share my 2 cents and some places to visit when in Oregon.

The coast is a must, especially for those who rarely get to see the ocean beaches. I recommend the coastal town of Newport which is about an hour drive west of Corvallis. A working fishing town that also caters to visitors/tourists. Some places to visit in Newport include the Oregon Coast Aquarium and OSU's Marine Hatfield Center, shops and restaurants on Bay Street, Yaquina Head lighthouse and tide pools, local beaches, and Rogue Brewery for taste of some of Oregon's beer.

About a 15 minute drive north of Newport is the tiny coastal town of Depoe Bay. This small town is home to one of the smallest natural harbors in the world. Home of fishing and whale watching charter boats. A gem of the Oregon coast for sure.

The drive south of Newport to Florence (my hometown about an hour south of Newport) along highway 101 is one of the most scenic coastal drives on the west coast. Lot's of beautiful beaches and ocean views along the way. Yachats is a unique small coastal town along the way to Florence. From Yachats to Florence is the most scenic of this entire drive (in my opinion) with spectacular views if the Pacific. Some recommended stops along this stretch include Cape Perpetua visitor's center, tide pools, Thor's Well, beaches and hiking trails around the cape. I'd also recommend a stop at Devil's Elbow State Park, which includes a beautiful beach cove, tidepools and a short hike to the Heceta Head lighthouse. Just south of Devil's Elbow is Sea Lion Caves, a long time privately owned part of the coast that is home to one of the largest sea caves in the world and its many sea lions. There's an elevator that takes you down to this spectacular (but smelly) cave. About 12 miles south of this cave is my hometown of Florence. Visit the shops and many good restaurants along Bay Street. Florence is at the north end of the Oregon sand dunes which stretch for about 45 miles along the coast. Several companies just south of Florence give dune buggy tours of the dunes. You can head inland from Florence and back to Corvallis (almost a 2 hour drive) to complete this loop.

The entire coast is spectacular. The further north you travel the more crowded. North of Newport has scenic views/beaches, including Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, the famous Tillamook Cheese Factory and museum, quaint coastal towns, and an abundance of state parks and camp grounds.

The south coast is by far less crowded than the north coast. If you head south of Florence, visit Shore Acres State Park south of Coos Bay. This park offers ocean views, trails, a small cove and beach and a beautiful botanical garden. Worth the visit. Further south is the cool coastal town of Bandon. When in Bandon, be sure to visit Face Rock State Park and beach, the Face Rock Creamery (cheese factory), and see the Coquille River lighthouse. The further south you go, the less populated, which can be nice. Further south of Bandon is the fishing town of Port Orford. Unique to Port Orford is that all their commercial fishing boats are dry docked and are lowered from dock to
the ocean/harbor and then raised back up to dock at the end of the fishing trip. The drive south of here is right along the ocean all the way to the Oregon/California border.

A drive over the Cascade Mountains to the city of Bend is very scenic. Bend is an outdoor paradise. Hiking, rock climbing, white water rafting, fishing, golfing, horse riding, volcanic lava flows/tubes/caves, snow shoeing/skiing in the winter, etc. Bend offers it all (except for ocean beaches!) Great place to visit if you have the time.

Multnomah Falls, located within an hours drive east of Portland up the Columbia River gorge, is beautiful, too.

The Willamette Valley surrounding Corvallis is full of vineyards and beautiful wineries.

Central and Western Oregon are beautiful and full of outdoor activities.

September is probably one of the best months for weather in Oregon.

Enjoy your visit to Oregon! I'll be headed to the game in Stillwater the next season.

Go Beavers! Go Cowboys!

zeemosmc

Greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Dec 9, 2014
Houston
I recommend Bend as well. Lots of outdoor stuff and good food and awesome beer! Bend is the home of multiple breweries, the biggest one being Deschutes.

Aug 16, 2012
My wife is a Beaver alum, her family is all still along the I-5 corridor from Junction City to Portland, most in Albany and Corvallis. I have a better than average exposure for a non-native/resident as a result.

Cannot go wrong with anything that has been stated by others, but I highly recommend you pick a geographical region and select attractions there. Unlike the Midwest where a road headed west actually goes west, Oregon (outside of the interstates and central plains) is more like the eastern US as the roads wind and weave and it takes a lot longer to get from one place to the next than you would think by looking at a map or even electronically mapping it. Pick a region and site-see there, do not try to drive all over.

However, each deserves more time to appreciate than what could be afforded in two days. Otherwise, by the time you get somewhere, you can snap a picture, smile, take a deep breath (imagine Clark Griswold-esque site seeing on the way to Wally World), and then you realize you are a million miles from where you have to be and there is a high likelihood you may not make it back in time. Remember, this is Labor Day weekend.
IMO, Bend in two days? Waste of time as it and Crater Lake are too far away from the Corvallis region to appropriately appreciate in two days. Can take up to four hours from Corvallis over Labor Day to get to Bend, a good 30 minutes just to get through Sisters all by itself, and that is not stopping which I highly recommend. Bend, Madras, or head up to Kaneetah resort, they all have things to do if you do decide to head that way.

A day, especially half a day, at Crater lake is not doing yourself justice and it can take up to 8 hours to get there from Lynn-Benton County. But if you do, from there you can go jet boating on the Rogue River outside Grants Pass which IMO, beats any other activity in Oregon hands down. Up to 60 mph down the river, at some points in as little as 4” of water in an open shell boat that seats about 50 people powered by three huge engines and jet pumps, at times "dueling" a companion boat with the jet blast (you gonna get wet). Stunning beauty, wildlife, and lunch in a custom log cabin. Great hiking all through the region.

IMO, take a dedicated trip to these regions some other time. There are so many things in each area it would be like going to NYC, heading to the top of the Empire State Building, then heading home saying you have been to NYC.

IMO, keep it relatively local. Newport is great, and as stated before, about an hour away. Eat at Mo's where the boat that brought it in is moored to a pier behind the restaurant. Wonder at the bridges and lighthouses. Head up to Depot Bay and Lincoln City, play on the beach, shop for artisan glass works, carved Myrtle wood decorations, housewares, etc, score some Marionberry preserves. The wineries of the Willamette Valley are also a reasonable day trip from Lynn-Benton county.

As for where to stay, I cannot help with that. Obviously stay with family when in the region, but have slept in tiny little A-frame cabins at Crater, beach-side hotels at Lincoln City, and cabins for a week at Kaneetah. They set it all up...I am just along for the ride

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
There are 4 or 5 Mo’s up and down the coast and they are basically all the same. Mo’s Original in Newport is the closest to Corvallis. Get the clam chowder bread bowl and you can thank me later.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My wife is a Beaver alum, her family is all still along the I-5 corridor from Junction City to Portland, most in Albany and Corvallis. I have a better than average exposure for a non-native/resident as a result.

Cannot go wrong with anything that has been stated by others, but I highly recommend you pick a geographical region and select attractions there. Unlike the Midwest where a road headed west actually goes west, Oregon (outside of the interstates and central plains) is more like the eastern US as the roads wind and weave and it takes a lot longer to get from one place to the next than you would think by looking at a map or even electronically mapping it. Pick a region and site-see there, do not try to drive all over.

However, each deserves more time to appreciate than what could be afforded in two days. Otherwise, by the time you get somewhere, you can snap a picture, smile, take a deep breath (imagine Clark Griswold-esque site seeing on the way to Wally World), and then you realize you are a million miles from where you have to be and there is a high likelihood you may not make it back in time. Remember, this is Labor Day weekend.
IMO, Bend in two days? Waste of time as it and Crater Lake are too far away from the Corvallis region to appropriately appreciate in two days. Can take up to four hours from Corvallis over Labor Day to get to Bend, a good 30 minutes just to get through Sisters all by itself, and that is not stopping which I highly recommend. Bend, Madras, or head up to Kaneetah resort, they all have things to do if you do decide to head that way.

A day, especially half a day, at Crater lake is not doing yourself justice and it can take up to 8 hours to get there from Lynn-Benton County. But if you do, from there you can go jet boating on the Rogue River outside Grants Pass which IMO, beats any other activity in Oregon hands down. Up to 60 mph down the river, at some points in as little as 4” of water in an open shell boat that seats about 50 people powered by three huge engines and jet pumps, at times "dueling" a companion boat with the jet blast (you gonna get wet). Stunning beauty, wildlife, and lunch in a custom log cabin. Great hiking all through the region.

IMO, take a dedicated trip to these regions some other time. There are so many things in each area it would be like going to NYC, heading to the top of the Empire State Building, then heading home saying you have been to NYC.

IMO, keep it relatively local. Newport is great, and as stated before, about an hour away. Eat at Mo's where the boat that brought it in is moored to a pier behind the restaurant. Wonder at the bridges and lighthouses. Head up to Depot Bay and Lincoln City, play on the beach, shop for artisan glass works, carved Myrtle wood decorations, housewares, etc, score some Marionberry preserves. The wineries of the Willamette Valley are also a reasonable day trip from Lynn-Benton county.

As for where to stay, I cannot help with that. Obviously stay with family when in the region, but have slept in tiny little A-frame cabins at Crater, beach-side hotels at Lincoln City, and cabins for a week at Kaneetah. They set it all up...I am just along for the ride
Would it be "crazy" to drive over to Newport to stay two nights right after the game? I had someone tell me that the fog and deer are too thick for post game driving. If it's only an hour I don't see how it would be too much of an issue to make that drive sans game.

Aug 16, 2012
Would it be "crazy" to drive over to Newport to stay two nights right after the game? I had someone tell me that the fog and deer are too thick for post game driving. If it's only an hour I don't see how it would be too much of an issue to make that drive sans game.
I did not recall any instance where fog or deer were an issue so I deferred to the better half who has traveled it 100x more than me. She says there should be no issue, but she then conferred with her mother who still drives it to this day...no issue.

It is a slow drive, about 40 mph tops. They do not think fog will be an issue over Labor Day, thinking the temperature differential will not be enough for fog to develop early in the nighttime hours. Make sure your car has good lights, pay attention, and you should be fine.

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
I've never been to Oregon before but the trip I've planned is:
Tue Aug 27 - arrive PDX, drive to Cannon Beach (Haystack Rock)
Wed Aug 28 - Cannon Beach to Florence (Hug Point, Arch Cape, Tillamook Creamery, Cape Kiwanda, Devil's Punchbowl, Cape Perpetua/Thor's Well, Newport)
Thu Aug 29 - Florence-to-Crater Lake
Fri Aug 30 - Crater Lake to Corvallis
Sat Aug 31 - Columbia River Gorge (Crown Point, Bridal Veil Falls, Wahkeena Falls, Multnomah Falls)

Most all these places have been mentioned by others.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I've whittled it down to
August 29th late night arrival Pearl District Hotel in Portland
August 30th Voodoo Donuts, Columbia gorge, waterfalls, Salem wine taste 3pm, Pokes 7:30pm...win!
August 30th after game drive to hotel in Newport
August 31st Newport, Cape Perpetua hiking/Thor's well/Yachats back to hotel
September 1st drive back to Portland north along the coast...maybe Cannon Beach and Astoria?
September 2nd fly home EARLY am

Btw, does anyone know where the team is staying? I figured out by accident where the Oregon State team stays and I think I'm going to cancel my reservations there and opt for Newport...Btw it's a small town with a nice resort about 45 min's east of Corvallis

Nov 6, 2010

Great point about the time it takes to get between point a and b once you get into those scenic areas, and gas stations can be few and far between.