OSU vs Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
It seems as though the offense we run is just not effective. Either it's just too basic and easily defended or we don't have the player to make it work. The ball screens we set almost never produce an open shot for either the handler or the screener. There is a lot of motion going on off the ball in the paint area opposite of the ball that rarely produces anything either except a log jam in the paint. It's so obvious when the teams we play get open three after open three and most of our three shots are highly contested or simply in desperation. They drive and kick or work it down low then kick, we rarely ever move the ball below the free throw line. The motion of the offense simply doesn't create enough open shots. Some on here complain that we just stand around with the ball, but that's not really true, it's just the offense we ran produced nothing and who ever ends up with the ball under 10 seconds has to do something. I'm not basketball savvy enough to know much more that it looks bad, at time really bad. Maybe we should become more basic and just put Yor on the blocks, posting up and setting screen for a corner guy (Waters/Dizzy), and have McGriff working a pick and roll with the other two. IDK I'm just throwing it out there.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
What is the deal with Kentrevious Jones? Did he get injured and I missed it? I was really hoping he and Yor could be enforcers in the paint, as a tandem
He looks good on paper, but looked incredibly slow in his limited playing time this year. I hope he comes around he seems like a good kid. Don't know why he and Cunningham are in the doghouse though, it must have been something pretty significant to have sat out this long.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Is it just me or have coaches quit teaching big men to roll to the bucket, in a pick and roll, leading with the shoulder closest to the ball handler?? This way you pin the defender going over the top, as well as being able to keep an eye on the ball the whole time. This was basketball 101 when I played, but I'm rarely seeing it anymore.

Sep 23, 2010
Is it just me or have coaches quit teaching big men to roll to the bucket, in a pick and roll, leading with the shoulder closest to the ball handler?? This way you pin the defender going over the top, as well as being able to keep an eye on the ball the whole time. This was basketball 101 when I played, but I'm rarely seeing it anymore.
I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. But, you are not allowed to roll up a defender anymore who tries to go under the ball screen. They call that a moving screen now. Otherwise, I would say it's taught 50/50 now. Some turning the way you are talking about. Others believe in forward sprint to separate faster and locate the ball.

Jan 9, 2014
Jury is still out. Normally by this time things are starting to level out- If the talent is there. I am beginning to cool on this particular crop. Hopefully the class next year is significantly better. They will have to be to compete in this conference.

Aug 31, 2008
It seems as though the offense we run is just not effective. Either it's just too basic and easily defended or we don't have the player to make it work. The ball screens we set almost never produce an open shot for either the handler or the screener. There is a lot of motion going on off the ball in the paint area opposite of the ball that rarely produces anything either except a log jam in the paint. It's so obvious when the teams we play get open three after open three and most of our three shots are highly contested or simply in desperation. They drive and kick or work it down low then kick, we rarely ever move the ball below the free throw line. The motion of the offense simply doesn't create enough open shots. Some on here complain that we just stand around with the ball, but that's not really true, it's just the offense we ran produced nothing and who ever ends up with the ball under 10 seconds has to do something. I'm not basketball savvy enough to know much more that it looks bad, at time really bad. Maybe we should become more basic and just put Yor on the blocks, posting up and setting screen for a corner guy (Waters/Dizzy), and have McGriff working a pick and roll with the other two. IDK I'm just throwing it out there.
I agree with this. There is a lot of wasted motion that doesnt accomplish anything. Its like they are moving just to move and there is no point to it. I would simplify the offense and work on setting better on ball screens. We need to have someone in the paint more also. Spread the floor, do some pick and roll with McGriff and force defenders to help on defense to open up shooters.

I would create plays based off of the strength of players. I dont know if that is what they are trying to do but it isnt working. I also would bench dziagwa, he might be a good shooter but he is a liability too. Yor needs to be more involved in the offense, even if he is struggling with it. This season is gonna be horrible so they might as well get some game time reps in with him so they can see what works.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
What is the deal with Kentrevious Jones? Did he get injured and I missed it? I was really hoping he and Yor could be enforcers in the paint, as a tandem
He looks good on paper, but looked incredibly slow in his limited playing time this year. I hope he comes around he seems like a good kid. Don't know why he and Cunningham are in the doghouse though, it must have been something pretty significant to have sat out this long.
https://www.orangepower.com/threads...revious-jones’-situations-‘day-to-day’.255312

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk