OSU vs Iowa State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Is there a rule I am unaware of that only allows one OSU player to move while on offense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the one aspect of Boynton’s coaching I can’t stand. Everyone just stands around. There’s little movement, no screens being set, no ball movement. It’s aggravating to watch.

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Not sure how they can look pretty good in Orlando and then be as bad as they are. Probably should have played a little easier schedule and try and find some rhythm. Because clearly that tough schedule didn’t pay off.

Exactly. We are 6-7 with a tough schedule and ISU walks out at 11-2 with an easy schedule. I admire Coach Boynton's sentiment, especially after what happened last year, but it has backfired.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Is there a rule I am unaware of that only allows one OSU player to move while on offense?

This is the one aspect of Boynton’s coaching I can’t stand. Everyone just stands around. There’s little movement, no screens being set, no ball movement. It’s aggravating to watch.
When a screen is set the defender off the screen steps out and stops the ball and OSU backs it out. They make it waaaaayyy too easy to be guarded.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
2 shots for Yor is not enough.

This! He has shown he is more than competent to be a force down low. Once you get him established you will have more room to shoot all those threes they like to take so much.

He can’t be worse than 5-14 or 2-8. I’d much rather I’m take 14 shots around the rim than McGriff take 14 half of which are 3s. Also we have taller guards can we not post one of them up. Waters is also pretty good around the rim. We just don’t get the ball inside at all

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Well the baseball team has some hype. Hopefully they can live up to it. They have a monster schedule though

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Exactly. We are 6-7 with a tough schedule and ISU walks out at 11-2 with an easy schedule. I admire Coach Boynton's sentiment, especially after what happened last year, but it has backfired.
I don’t think non conference scheduling would have made a difference. I don’t think we make the NCAA tournament this year either way.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
The lack of improvement is concerning. That's all I'm asking for is improvement, but I'm not seeing it yet.
Jones just started playing. Cunningham in dog house and hurt in November. Hardly played. I wouldn't play dizzy as much but maybe with freshman it's a problem. Get ball inside to Anei more. He's gotta get 8 shots a game to keep defenses honest. At least 4 a half. Plus Anei has a decent touch anyway.

Aug 16, 2012
Weathers and ice have missed a handful of layups

who the f is "ice"? There is nobody on this team worthy of any nickname that infers they are a cold-blooded shooter/ball handler/passer/etc. I just do not get the need to try and pen nicknames.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
Weathers and ice have missed a handful of layups

who the f is "ice"? There is nobody on this team worthy of any nickname that infers they are a cold-blooded shooter/ball handler/passer/etc. I just do not get the need to try and pen nicknames.
Likekele. That’s just what they call him, I assume because if his first name but have no idea. It’s much easier and faster to type though.

Sep 23, 2010
Some of us need to reduce our expectations down for this team. It's apparent who they are.

This is conference play now. The scouting reports are out. They will start to take away what we do best (and we only do a handful of things well right now). So the expectation that our play will look improved is very skewed by our new opponents.

Our offense -- It appears to me we run two different secondary breaks. Then we typically try to run the spread or some call it pinwheel that Underwood brought here. We are not near as good at running this as we were a year ago. Solomon was the guy that made this work so well a year ago. He exploited all the options. Yor can do the most basic action but seemingly nothing more. Demuth is in the same boat, and Calloo is really struggling with understanding. It's truly, among other things, what we miss the most about Solomon. Then it seems we run around 5-6 sets. I know people are complaining about movement, and the spread should have plenty of movement but that middle guy has to be clever to catch the ball more than what Yor/others do in the opposite elbow area. That's what creates the actions that are more difficult to guard. LSU and Memphis were both poor at defending this making us look much better. And Yor has exceeded my expectations as a player, he's just not good at that spot in the offense. And to scrap the offense now, and try something totally new would have similar growing pains.

It's hard to improve as a team when your team doesn't have continuity. Weathers being out in the preseason, and really not playing his full role as of yet. Jones just getting eligible, and last night was a big indication that Boynton doesn't trust him yet. Cunningham was hurt, then played well, and now is in the doghouse. He has more playing experience than a lot of guys on the team. Hopefully, by February with some continuity, we will begin to see the "improvement" that some seek.

We were in the game last night, so I was pleased. Do I think we should shoot a lot 3's? Sure. Do I think we should highly contested ones in crucial moments? No, and that's something McGriff and Waters need to improve. But it's also why we need more Weathers. He's one of the few people on the team that can create one on one when the shot clock is dwindling.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
What is the deal with Kentrevious Jones? Did he get injured and I missed it? I was really hoping he and Yor could be enforcers in the paint, as a tandem.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
What is the deal with Kentrevious Jones? Did he get injured and I missed it? I was really hoping he and Yor could be enforcers in the paint, as a tandem.
He's big but not very athletic. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't on the team next year. Earlier in the year MB talked about how he was getting frustrated by not getting minutes and he had talked to him about earning minutes.

This team isn't athletically where they need to be to compete in the Big12 in my opinion. That doesn't mean they won't win games or get better but tell me what other team would start our starting 5 in the big 12. We are going to finish in the bottom 3rd of the league this year and its going to be frustrating but we will have 3 or 4 true freshmen that will get a load of experience and we are bringing in some serious offensive talent in the fall.