OSU, Tulsa agree to eight-year, home-and-home football series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Unfortunately, when millions of dollars are in potential play things don't get to be simple. Whether it is going to an IUPU type of arrangement with OU or expanding the role OSU-Tulsa, Oklahoma State wants as big of a presence in Tulsa as it can build. Higher education is probably entering a new era of retraction. The big will get bigger and the smaller will have to fight for survival. OSU is small by tier 1, P5, state flagship standards. It is looking for territory. There is a still a lot to work out in Tulsa and some issues involving Langston, it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
What's IUPU?

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Indiana University and Purdue University combine their satellite campuses in the state for greater offerings and outreach in their state.

While that is a stated goal of Oklahoma State, I don't think it's on the radar at all for the University of Oklahoma to engage in greater community outreach in the state. It's why their system isn't as far reaching as OSU's.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Is it pretty clear to everybody else that the "we are so much bigger than having to play Tulsa" contingent is the fan that grew up cheering for the sooners but went to OSU for some reason?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Is it pretty clear to everybody else that the "we are so much bigger than having to play Tulsa" contingent is the fan that grew up cheering for the sooners but went to OSU for some reason?
And has never been to a game in Tulsa. We will never have another road game where we are the home team

Aug 7, 2006
Indiana University and Purdue University combine their satellite campuses in the state for greater offerings and outreach in their state.

While that is a stated goal of Oklahoma State, I don't think it's on the radar at all for the University of Oklahoma to engage in greater community outreach in the state. It's why their system isn't as far reaching as OSU's.
Wouldn't surprise me if it's on their radar if OSU starts to gain a stronghold in Tulsa... which we are going to do.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Wouldn't surprise me if it's on their radar if OSU starts to gain a stronghold in Tulsa... which we are going to do.
I think OSU already has a much stronger presence in Tulsa than OU. At least from the normal populace. We've had several guys from Booker T. over the years that talk about how they grew up OSU fans because their parents or grandparents were OSU fans. Plus it always seemed like Tulsa was just friendlier to the OSU fan than OKC has ever been.

From an athletic standpoint... I think getting guys like Dylan Stoner from Jenks is a pretty huge coup in the area. Normally if a Jenks guy didn't go to OU, he would go to Arkansas or Tulsa or Kansas State or anywhere but OSU. Stoner has changed that and, if I'm not mistaken, we've added quite a few guys from Jenks since he came over.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I think OSU already has a much stronger presence in Tulsa than OU. At least from the normal populace. We've had several guys from Booker T. over the years that talk about how they grew up OSU fans because their parents or grandparents were OSU fans. Plus it always seemed like Tulsa was just friendlier to the OSU fan than OKC has ever been.

From an athletic standpoint... I think getting guys like Dylan Stoner from Jenks is a pretty huge coup in the area. Normally if a Jenks guy didn't go to OU, he would go to Arkansas or Tulsa or Kansas State or anywhere but OSU. Stoner has changed that and, if I'm not mistaken, we've added quite a few guys from Jenks since he came over.
Tulsa's a never ending battle. We'll get some guys & we'll lose some, like we always have.

Mark Ginther & Lawrence Pinson were pretty big gets out of Jenks, but other kids still went other places. It'd be great to land more kids from Jenks & Union, but continuing to get BTW kids, & Bixby, BA & Owasso need to be priorities, too.

Aug 7, 2006

Sure, but I'm not really talking about athletics. The city of Tulsa is under-served by not having a public university option. We have a fairly large presence there already with OSU-Tulsa and filling that need would be mutually beneficial.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Sure, but I'm not really talking about athletics. The city of Tulsa is under-served by not having a public university option. We have a fairly large presence there already with OSU-Tulsa and filling that need would be mutually beneficial.
Yeah but NSU has a stronger presence in the Tulsa area than OU has... so I really don't think that OU will ever be interested in that kind of outreach. It's just not in their charter.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place

OU has the Schusterman Center in Tulsa with a Vision 2025 plan and $30 million to build another medical research facility.

Langston also has a Tulsa campus which holds some important cards in this discussion.

Here is a good article from the Tulsa World that brought to the greater public some of these conversations. It also probably speaks to why the University of Tulsa is attempting to pivot away from being an "elite liberal arts college" and moving toward this "professional super college" concept.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/a-f...cle_c1e11865-68de-54dc-b764-757621c97d4e.html

Jul 9, 2011
Yankees Tavern, Carlos Texas
New era of retraction? Are you kidding me. Awaken from your coma. Universities are expanding and building at an unprecedented rate. Loans for anyone with a pulse. Higher education is boom town. Besides, what would playing Tulsa have to do with any of this? Your response was either uninformed, misinformed, or just plain propaganda. I can’t believe you expect anyone to buy that tripe.
Yes and no if you look across the full spectrum of colleges and universities.

Since 2016, 24 Colleges have closed and another approximately 50 have been merged in to another school. Most were schools that traditionally served minorities or smaller liberal arts colleges; but it is starting at the bottom with the weakest links, the schools with the smallest student bodies and least financial support, and working its way up the chain.

Part of the reason is that since hitting a high of a little over 70 percent in 2009, the percentage of high school graduates attending college has bounced around a little but been declining since, and many are dropping out before getting a degree. Total enrollment at colleges and universities in 2018 was 19.9 million, down about 2 million from 2010. So the pool of total student customers is definitely shrinking.

Some schools have seen significant growth in student populations (Texas A&M is one example), but part of the growth is taking students that might have gone to some other school in the past. What we are seeing with all the construction is more of a "facilities race" to attract students, much as we have seen with stadiums and locker rooms for football and other sports to attract athletes. Smaller schools in states that don't provide as much support for higher education and have less alumni support are going to lose that race. More consolidation, more haves and have nots, to come.

Last edited: