OSU, Tulsa agree to eight-year, home-and-home football series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Kelly Hines...

In 11 of the next 13 seasons, Tulsa and Oklahoma State will meet on the football field.

For the Bank of Oklahoma Turnpike Classic, an eight-year, home-and-home series starts in 2024 at TU’s H.A. Chapman Stadium and alternates in odd years at OSU’s Boone Pickens Stadium.

The deal is expected to be announced Friday morning.

Under the current three-game contract, the teams play at TU on Sept. 14 and at OSU in 2020 and 2021.

Aug 16, 2012
Torn if I like this or not. If other games are quality P5 opponents....great. if other games are more G6 teams or the likes of Savannah State, this is horrible.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Barf. We're better than a Home and Home with TU. Should be 5-6 games in Stillwater and 2-3 at Tulsa's high school stadium. I'd rather not play TU at all but if we're looking for a cheap opponent this is it.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
More details of the deal from Bill Haisten...

The eight-year agreement begins in 2024 at TU. The Hurricane hosts OSU also in 2026, 2028 and 2030. OSU hosts in 2025, 2027, 2029 and 2031.

Money details: For each of the eight games in 2024-31, the home team keeps 100% of the ticket revenue. The visiting team receives $300,000 for expenses.

Just the fact that TU and OSU officials got together, listened to the other’s pitch and wound up with a successful negotiation — that’s the story of the day.

The Tulsa and Oklahoma State campuses are separated by only 73 miles, and the result of this deal is a steady run of interesting nonconference football and, hopefully, really competitive football. Holder wants this Bank of Oklahoma Turnpike Classic series to develop into big-event weekends.

“The two biggest markets for OSU fans are Oklahoma City and Tulsa,” Holder said. “We can’t play a football game in Oklahoma City, but we can in Tulsa every other year.

“We do a lot of our recruiting of students in Tulsa. A lot of our students will graduate and go to work in Tulsa. The benefits of this football contract transcend just the playing of football games.”

For each school, it’s an easy, inexpensive trip to the other’s stadium. On a consistent basis, OSU gets an American Athletic Conference opponent on its schedule. In five of the past 12 seasons, TU recorded at least 10 wins. When the Hurricane is competitive, that type of Tulsa squad enhances the Oklahoma State schedule.

“Our expectation is that when we play against Tulsa, we’ll face a very good team,” Holder said. “That’s the way we want it to be.”

starflyer

A win that feels like a loss.
Jan 2, 2005
Tulsa
I don't understand why so many are bothered by this. Tulsa certainly isn't a quality opponent but would you rather have an away game in Tulsa (which many more local fans are able to attend) or have more away games like South Alabama, Central Michigan, and UTSA?

I certainly hope we schedule better opponents in the non conference but having an away game every other year in Tulsa is about as close to an extra home game as it gets. I'm fine with this as long as Tulsa isn't the most notable team we play in the non conference.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The AAC is making a push to make it the "power 6" so Tulsa certainly isn't the worst opponent we could get. I would rather have a home and home with SMU or Houston, but Gundy seems to be focused on locking down the Tulsa area and getting top recruits from there since OU seems to be ignoring them until the last minute.

Aug 16, 2012
I don't understand why so many are bothered by this. Tulsa certainly isn't a quality opponent but would you rather have an away game in Tulsa (which many more local fans are able to attend) or have more away games like South Alabama, Central Michigan, and UTSA?

I certainly hope we schedule better opponents in the non conference but having an away game every other year in Tulsa is about as close to an extra home game as it gets. I'm fine with this as long as Tulsa isn't the most notable team we play in the non conference.
Not the location....the issue with me is quality of opponent

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place

2021 is pretty weak, otherwise it looks okay. Like others I want 1 P5 and 2 G5s, no FCS. With 9 conference games we already play an extra P5 opponent compared to ACC & SEC teams. We have an FCS scheduled 3 of the next 4 seasons, hopefully that ends after 2022.