OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
I strongly disagree with the take that losing Yor is okay. I honestly think it’s a huge blow. I would definitely be focusing on trying to change his mind from transferring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where in either of those posts do you see anyone passing Yor off? It’s not there, but as of yet he’s made his choice. Our hypothetical back and forth is based on HIS decision to leave.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I strongly disagree with the take that losing Yor is okay. I honestly think it’s a huge blow. I would definitely be focusing on trying to change his mind from transferring.

Where in either of those posts do you see anyone passing Yor off? It’s not there, but as of yet he’s made his choice. Our hypothetical back and forth is based on HIS decision to leave.
Even if Yor does decide to go through with the transfer, I think we will be alright with Kalib at the 5 and MAM at the 4. MAM's ability to knock down a shot from the elbow is really going to stretch defenses, in ways that we couldn't consistently do with Yor. What we lose I defense, I think we will more than make up for on offense. Also factor in our guards that go 6-4+ and wings 6-7+, in place of Lindy and Dizzy, and I don't think we will see much of a drop off on the defensive end, even without Yor.
I don’t think it’ll be alright... saying it’ll be alright is indicating that it wouldn’t harm the team that much and I think it’s a major blow to our chances at winning the Big 12. Having 2 very good interchangeable 5s was a key thing I thought we had going for us.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Exactly. Plus, there just aren't many dominant big men in the college game (or pro game for that matter) now. I think we'll be fine, with length up and down the lineup with 5 guys on the floor that can get a shot up at any given time.
We will have mismatches all over the place. Of course the other team will too every now and then but we'll be insanely athletic. I would expect some zone options as well with some extremely long top and wing set ups. A Boheim match up zone for short bursts could be very tough. a 1-3-1 3/4 court trap would be fun too in spurts. Get some cheap dunks and when we fall back, tons of ball pressure where we can exploit those longer players.

I honestly don’t understand why you think this. He was never a huge factor in winning games for Oklahoma State. He could barely stay in the game because he’s a fouling machine. Yes he can block shots at a prolific rate when he’s able to stay in the game but the rest of his defense is not particularly impressive and in clutch time in close games he’s usually sitting on the bench or fouled out. The assertion by someone earlier on this thread that he was a first round NBA pick is ludicrous. I question whether he’s even going to be drafted in the NBA. He might be picked up by somebody like the Oklahoma City Blue to try to develop him but he’s far from NBA material at the present moment.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I don’t think it’ll be alright... saying it’ll be alright is indicating that it wouldn’t harm the team that much and I think it’s a major blow to our chances at winning the Big 12. Having 2 very good interchangeable 5s was a key thing I thought we had going for us.

I tend to agree that it causes problems, but I also think we will survive. FWIS, in his media interview posted a couple days ago, HCMB said he wasn't worried at all by our post depth.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Lol, point taken. Everything will actually be fine, it’s not like we won’t be able to field a team. I was just trying to use “alright” cuz that’s what the guy I was quoting said. But I do legitimately think it’ll cost us games.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Exactly. Plus, there just aren't many dominant big men in the college game (or pro game for that matter) now. I think we'll be fine, with length up and down the lineup with 5 guys on the floor that can get a shot up at any given time.
We will have mismatches all over the place. Of course the other team will too every now and then but we'll be insanely athletic. I would expect some zone options as well with some extremely long top and wing set ups. A Boheim match up zone for short bursts could be very tough. a 1-3-1 3/4 court trap would be fun too in spurts. Get some cheap dunks and when we fall back, tons of ball pressure where we can exploit those longer players.

I honestly don’t understand why you think this. He was never a huge factor in winning games for Oklahoma State. He could barely stay in the game because he’s a fouling machine. Yes he can block shots at a prolific rate when he’s able to stay in the game but the rest of his defense is not particularly impressive and in clutch time in close games he’s usually sitting on the bench or fouled out. The assertion by someone earlier on this thread that he was a first round NBA pick is ludicrous. I question whether he’s even going to be drafted in the NBA. He might be picked up by somebody like the Oklahoma City Blue to try to develop him but he’s far from NBA material at the present moment.
Yeah I disagree. So post defense is like the most important thing to a defense due to its proximity to the rim and covering/helping the perimeter players on D, and it’s way more important than a center’s ability to score in the modern era. Yor being a phenomenal shot blocker is the most important skill one can have at the Center position. Also, that’s not his only defensive skill, Yor is incredibly switch-y and shockingly adept on the perimeter staying in front of guys.

The fact that he had foul problems can’t really be debated, but that was pretty easily negated by having Kalib. I’d also defend his If Yor’s terrible games were just him going to the bench I’d like to have the upside of the guy who has chance to block 6 shots in a game on the team and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work.

Srsly, everyone go back and remember the 2018 season. Yor was probably the best player on the team down the stretch but that’s not actually what I’m getting at. Remember how miserable it was having to turn to the Cam at the 5 line ups for more than 4 game minutes? Playing with no rim protection and no help D? Having 2 bigs is essential to team success. Especially when KU and WVU are going to be very big physical teams.

I think I actually agree with a lot of you that Kalib was about to explode, his skillset is really based on intelligent positioning, great hands & body control, and screening. He’s like the perfect college big for the pick & roll and all the scouts describe Cade as a pick&roll mastermind. But I still think that Yor’s defense is far and away a game changer. Would much prefer the chance to go 20-20 with the bigs? Also I think ppl over estimate how much game time a big can play even not in foul trouble... he’s gonna only probably average 27 minutes a game which means 13 minutes with Keylan at the 5? Ouch.

Jun 14, 2011
Yeah I disagree. So post defense is like the most important thing to a defense due to its proximity to the rim and covering/helping the perimeter players on D, and it’s way more important than a center’s ability to score in the modern era. Yor being a phenomenal shot blocker is the most important skill one can have at the Center position. Also, that’s not his only defensive skill, Yor is incredibly switch-y and shockingly adept on the perimeter staying in front of guys.

The fact that he had foul problems can’t really be debated, but that was pretty easily negated by having Kalib. I’d also defend his If Yor’s terrible games were just him going to the bench I’d like to have the upside of the guy who has chance to block 6 shots in a game on the team and if it doesn’t work it doesn’t work.

Srsly, everyone go back and remember the 2018 season. Yor was probably the best player on the team down the stretch but that’s not actually what I’m getting at. Remember how miserable it was having to turn to the Cam at the 5 line ups for more than 4 game minutes? Playing with no rim protection and no help D? Having 2 bigs is essential to team success. Especially when KU and WVU are going to be very big physical teams.

I think I actually agree with a lot of you that Kalib was about to explode, his skillset is really based on intelligent positioning, great hands & body control, and screening. He’s like the perfect college big for the pick & roll and all the scouts describe Cade as a pick&roll mastermind. But I still think that Yor’s defense is far and away a game changer. Would much prefer the chance to go 20-20 with the bigs? Also I think ppl over estimate how much game time a big can play even not in foul trouble... he’s gonna only probably average 27 minutes a game which means 13 minutes with Keylan at the 5? Ouch.

Let alone the toll playing all those minutes will have on him throughout the season. Also, while I hope Ka-Boone explodes, how much better or more advanced would he be practicing against someone with Yor's defensive status? I think losing Yor is a huge blow to this team, not just b/c of what he brings skills wise, but the resulting lack of ANY depth at the 5 for breather's, foul issues, change of pace/skill set to keep opponents guessing, etc., etc.

Since he has not technically transferred out yet, I'm holding onto a slim hope he changes his mind. I am not sure how the team chemistry would be for someone who noped out and then came back, but I think Boynton would be very welcoming of him returning if that happened.

Nov 6, 2010
Let alone the toll playing all those minutes will have on him throughout the season. Also, while I hope Ka-Boone explodes, how much better or more advanced would he be practicing against someone with Yor's defensive status? I think losing Yor is a huge blow to this team, not just b/c of what he brings skills wise, but the resulting lack of ANY depth at the 5 for breather's, foul issues, change of pace/skill set to keep opponents guessing, etc., etc.

Since he has not technically transferred out yet, I'm holding onto a slim hope he changes his mind. I am not sure how the team chemistry would be for someone who noped out and then came back, but I think Boynton would be very welcoming of him returning if that happened.
I think we'll negate his loss by taking Boone out quite a bit and by playing Moncrief at the 5 along with 4 guards and play REALLY fast. We'll make it nearly impossible for the other team to keep a true center on the floor when we're playing at that pace. And we'll have the guards to do that this year.

Jun 14, 2011
I think we'll negate his loss by taking Boone out quite a bit and by playing Moncrief at the 5 along with 4 guards and play REALLY fast. We'll make it nearly impossible for the other team to keep a true center on the floor when we're playing at that pace. And we'll have the guards to do that this year.
Personally, I don't think playing fast will offset the loss of Yor and what he brings to the table. However, we will be playing fast out of necessity vs. it being our optimum lineup. I will definitly not hold my breath here as half court sets, IF the other team slows us down, have not been a strong suit so far for HCMB. I hope playing fast is crazy effective, we win every game playing small ball, b/c we certainly will have the roster to play that way. We sure as hell better being suffocating on defense if we are going to play so many guards. Hope Boynton surprises me in the half court as well.

Also, if the plan is to have MAM playing back up at the 5, I sure hope someone has told him so he can really focus on working on his post game moving forward.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Tbh I don’t think that can work for as long as we’ll need it to. Unlike the NBA, college is more physical, the 3 point line still isn’t all the way back meaning less spacing, and the longer shot clock means the other team can still slow it down more. Plus, even when teams do this they still usually have someone bigger than Moncrieff doing it. Pena would fit the size better but he’s a lot more raw of a prospect so he probably wouldn’t work either.

Nov 6, 2010
Personally, I don't think playing fast will offset the loss of Yor and what he brings to the table. However, we will be playing fast out of necessity vs. it being our optimum lineup. I will definitly not hold my breath here as half court sets, IF the other team slows us down, have not been a strong suit so far for HCMB. I hope playing fast is crazy effective, we win every game playing small ball, b/c we certainly will have the roster to play that way. We sure as hell better being suffocating on defense if we are going to play so many guards. Hope Boynton surprises me in the half court as well.

Also, if the plan is to have MAM playing back up at the 5, I sure hope someone has told him so he can really focus on working on his post game moving forward.
Yea, I'm thinking they'll do that more to get Boone rest or time when he is in foul trouble. I certainly think we'll be better all around while he is on the floor though.