OSU Men's Basketball banned from postseason for 2020-21

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
http://publicaffairs.ku.edu/sites/publicaffairs.ku.edu/files/docs/NOA to KU.pdf

You should read through KU's notice of allegations. Bill Self & Kurtis Townsend are implicated in everything. Their middlemen doled out $70K to various recruits to steer them to Kansas. They had multiple coaches involved in a scheme that provided them with a significant recruiting advantage. There's a reason why the NCAA is accusing them of lack of institutional control.

Kansas is denying everything. They can play the victim card all they want, but the allegations leveled against them are drastically different than the allegations leveled against us.
Yeah, I still think the punishment given us is more about setting the expectations for the punishment against teams like Kansas. I could very easily see us getting the post season ban overturned. However, I think they are going to lay the smack down on Kansas. Initial punishment of 3 years post season ban minimum IMHO. 3-4 scholarships lost per year. Something like that.

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, I still think the punishment given us is more about setting the expectations for the punishment against teams like Kansas. I could very easily see us getting the post season ban overturned. However, I think they are going to lay the smack down on Kansas. Initial punishment of 3 years post season ban minimum IMHO. 3-4 scholarships lost per year. Something like that.
Hope you're right. Or maybe punish Kansas even more.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Even if Yor does decide to go through with the transfer, I think we will be alright with Kalib at the 5 and MAM at the 4. MAM's ability to knock down a shot from the elbow is really going to stretch defenses, in ways that we couldn't consistently do with Yor. What we lose I defense, I think we will more than make up for on offense. Also factor in our guards that go 6-4+ and wings 6-7+, in place of Lindy and Dizzy, and I don't think we will see much of a drop off on the defensive end, even without Yor.
I think we will miss him more than you think. Athletic big men that can run and block shots (at school record pace) don’t grow on trees. He can shoot a little bit too, that improved greatly from Frosh to Soph years and he could have improved again. Depth takes a big hit too. Hopefully Pena is more Anei and less the last 10 lanky big guys before him that were such a liability we couldn’t afford to have them on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Last edited:

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Hope you're right. Or maybe punish Kansas even more.
I could see them starting with a 5 year post season ban with the expectation of negotiating it down to 3.

Like many, I misunderstood our penalties and thought we had lost 3 scholarships per year for 3 years. I was happy to find out it was actually just one as 3 per year would be pretty devastating. That (or likely worse) is the type of penalty Kansas should have here. I don't think we ever see the death penalty instituted again, but this could still be HUGELY devastating for Kansas. The post season ban is WAY more impactful in basketball than it is in football. Even if we have to endure ours it looks like Coach Mike could be able to weather it. With the one-and-done climate of basketball and how much the post season matters, a 3+ year post-season ban could knock a program down for a decade or two.

Also, I wonder if some of the Kansas coaches will see individual penalties. What happens if Self and other assistant coaches gets a one-year ban from participation in NCAA athletics?

So here is my totally subjective and uneducated Kansas Prediction:

- 4 Year Post Season Ban
- 16 Scholarships lost over 4 years (4/year)
- 1 year participation ban for individual coaches including Self (basically forcing Kansas to fire them).

Kansas Appeals and it is negotiated down to the following.

- 3 Year Post Season Ban
- 10 Scholarships lost over 3 years
- Individual coach penalties stay the same.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I could see them starting with a 5 year post season ban with the expectation of negotiating it down to 3.

Like many, I misunderstood our penalties and thought we had lost 3 scholarships per year for 3 years. I was happy to find out it was actually just one as 3 per year would be pretty devastating. That (or likely worse) is the type of penalty Kansas should have here. I don't think we ever see the death penalty instituted again, but this could still be HUGELY devastating for Kansas. The post season ban is WAY more impactful in basketball than it is in football. Even if we have to endure ours it looks like Coach Mike could be able to weather it. With the one-and-done climate of basketball and how much the post season matters, a 3+ year post-season ban could knock a program down for a decade or two.

Also, I wonder if some of the Kansas coaches will see individual penalties. What happens if Self and other assistant coaches gets a one-year ban from participation in NCAA athletics?

So here is my totally subjective and uneducated Kansas Prediction:

- 4 Year Post Season Ban
- 16 Scholarships lost over 4 years (4/year)
- 1 year participation ban for individual coaches including Self (basically forcing Kansas to fire them).

Kansas Appeals and it is negotiated down to the following.

- 3 Year Post Season Ban
- 10 Scholarships lost over 3 years
- Individual coach penalties stay the same.

In the words of Steven Tyler: 'Dream On, Dream On...'

I agree with you, btw, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Exactly. Plus, there just aren't many dominant big men in the college game (or pro game for that matter) now. I think we'll be fine, with length up and down the lineup with 5 guys on the floor that can get a shot up at any given time.
We will have mismatches all over the place. Of course the other team will too every now and then but we'll be insanely athletic. I would expect some zone options as well with some extremely long top and wing set ups. A Boheim match up zone for short bursts could be very tough. a 1-3-1 3/4 court trap would be fun too in spurts. Get some cheap dunks and when we fall back, tons of ball pressure where we can exploit those longer players.
I strongly disagree with the take that losing Yor is okay. I honestly think it’s a huge blow. I would definitely be focusing on trying to change his mind from transferring.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

You should read through KU's notice of allegations. Bill Self & Kurtis Townsend are implicated in everything. Their middlemen doled out $70K to various recruits to steer them to Kansas. They had multiple coaches involved in a scheme that provided them with a significant recruiting advantage. There's a reason why the NCAA is accusing them of lack of institutional control.

Kansas is denying everything. They can play the victim card all they want, but the allegations leveled against them are drastically different than the allegations leveled against us.
The max penalty is a two year ban when it comes to postseason for level 1 infractions, right?

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

The max penalty is a two year ban when it comes to postseason for level 1 infractions, right?
Yes, but they (KU) have 5 of them of them pending.

Oct 30, 2007
It just depends on the designation.
Aggravated level 1 infraction: 2 to 4 year postseason ban.
Standard level 1 infraction: 1 to 2 year postseason ban.
Mitigated level 1 infraction: 0 to 1 year postseason ban.

My guess is that the NCAA will hit them with a 2 to 3 year postseason ban, and they'll fight it out in court.