OSU - KSU Baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Why did leeper go when we were up 7? Thought we would keep him fresh for sat and Sunday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get second guessing .. that's baseball fandom. What goes into a baseball decision is very much different than "apparent" decisions. How rested a pitcher is, what are the "match ups," who is pitching tomorrow?, who has "gas" in the bullpen?, what is the opposing manager going to do to try to counter your moves?" That, is what I have a problem with on this forum. Baseball is a game of "failure" - the strategy on the surface is much different than what goes on in a manager's/coaches' head. I am not a "sunshine pumper" - I would like to think I'm a realist. I THINK we are a potentially strong team. College baseball today is just different than our glory days under Coach Ward. The actual bat is WAY different for one reason. The other factor is that "traditional" baseball theory is standing on it's ear. What we we all grew up on is not the way baseball is being taught today. It shocks and upsets me- but I'm 60!

Nov 14, 2010
Tonight was a clinic for us on offense.

Line drives and hard ground balls.

I can't remember a Lazy fly ball all night.

We were very disciplined and didn't chase the zone much at all, but then we were very agressive on pitches that were in the zone.

Tonight's offense is the blue print for what this team can become if they'll keep buying in.

The only negative tonight was that we just simply get/got behind way too many hitters.

We put up a 3 spot then get behind the 1st 2 hitters the next inning.

That drives me nuts.

Our pitchers also didn't finish well enough when the had chances to put hitters away.

All in all, tonight was a great performance.

Tomorrow is huge because they saved their Ace for Saturday.

OkState.com has the absolute worst media player of all time

You can't minimize and do anything else on your phone or it stops playing.

You also have to leave your screen on.

Nov 14, 2010
Why did leeper go when we were up 7? Thought we would keep him fresh for sat and Sunday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because it was a 1 run game going into the bottom of the 8th when he started to get loose.

By the time the game got out of hand he was already ready to go and there was not really enough time to get anyone else ready.

Especially considering it's only 60 degrees, you don't want to rush someone in a blowout game.

Especially considering Leeper only went 1 inning and he can give us that all 3 games.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Tonight was a clinic for us on offense.

Line drives and hard ground balls.

I can't remember a Lazy fly ball all night.

We were very disciplined and didn't chase the zone much at all, but then we were very agressive on pitches that were in the zone.

Tonight's offense is the blue print for what this team can become if they'll keep buying in.

The only negative tonight was that we just simply get/got behind way too many hitters.

We put up a 3 spot then get behind the 1st 2 hitters the next inning.

That drives me nuts.

Our pitchers also didn't finish well enough when the had chances to put hitters away.

All in all, tonight was a great performance.

Tomorrow is huge because they saved their Ace for Saturday.

OkState.com has the absolute worst media player of all time

You can't minimize and do anything else on your phone or it stops playing.

You also have to leave your screen on.
If you are looking for the radio call, try stillwaterradio.net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
Because it was a 1 run game going into the bottom of the 8th when he started to get loose.

By the time the game got out of hand he was already ready to go and there was not really enough time to get anyone else ready.

Especially considering it's only 60 degrees, you don't want to rush someone in a blowout game.

Especially considering Leeper only went 1 inning and he can give us that all 3 games.
You have others stretched and ready to start throwing, infact they can be playing light catch. If a game gets out of hand, you sit your closer in game one of a three game series for multiple reasons. The second we got bases loaded with no outs was the time to see additional activity in the bullpen. There really is no excuse to throw your closer in that situation and it's not how many pitches he threw in the game, it's how long he had to throw and stay hot in the bullpen.

Leeper looked dominant though and that's what you don't want to show them unnecessarily in game one.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
You have others stretched and ready to start throwing, infact they can be playing light catch. If a game gets out of hand, you sit your closer in game one of a three game series for multiple reasons. The second we got bases loaded with no outs was the time to see additional activity in the bullpen. There really is no excuse to throw your closer in that situation.

Leeper looked dominant though and that's what you don't want to show them unnecessarily in game one.
We would have had to get someone up who we might need to stretch 4 or 5 innings on Saturday with a 1 run lead, just in case we score 6 runs in 60 degree weather and the ball not carrying!

I competely disagree with that idea!

There is no way Rob or Josh should have even been considering those kind of thoughts while going into that inning with a 1 run lead.

There is no way they should have even been considering those thoughts with the bases loaded with a 1 run lead..

By the time the game was out of hand enough to have those thoughts there was not enough time to risk rushing someone in 60 degree weather.

There is no way they should have been thinking those thoughts until it was past 9-4 and by that time there were already 2 outs.

If that inning stuck at 9-4, there's no way you even consider bringing in a mop up guy to save pitching. And, like I said by the time that had passed, there were already 2 outs.

Rob needed to be focused on the hitters for the next inning not who to get hot in case we score 6 runs.

I also disagree that we shouldn't have used Leeper.

Leeper was already hot so it wasn't like your were going to save the wear and tear of the whole process of getting loose.

He threw maybe 15 pitches and needed the work

He hasn't thrown in a game in 6 days, and in that outing he walked 2, so getting him back on the mound last night was something that needed to happen.

We have other guys, like Lienhard, that can extend if we need 4 or 5 innings from a middle relief guy on Saturday and Battenfield only threw 1 2/3 last night so he can roll back to long relief on Sunday if needed.

Leeper is not more or less available now that he threw one really stress free inning than if he wouldnt and getting him the work was needed because he hadn't thrown in 6 days.

I also disagree that him showing a 93 mph fastball and devastating off speed stuff was anything other than a total positive

There is no way that anything they saw from him last night gave KState any confidence that they can hit him if he throws like that.

Last edited:

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
A couple differences in the lineup. Navigato at SS, Funk at 3rd, Garcia at 1st, Simpson in LF and McCusker in RF. Otherwise the typical lineup. Lienhard on the bump.

Need a good start from Big Joe today.