OSU defense

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Gundy wants has been timid on starting a freshman since Lunt. If his job hadn't been on the line they wouldn't have started Rudolph.
IMHO a wise practice...we all know Lunt was the wrong choice in hindsight due to his youth and inexperience. IMHO, starting him ruined his future chances in the game as he didn't do well elsewhere either. Meanwhile we had Chelf sitting on the bench who had backed up Weeden for 2 years and knew the offense.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
IMHO a wise practice...we all know Lunt was the wrong choice in hindsight due to his youth and inexperience. IMHO, starting him ruined his future chances in the game as he didn't do well elsewhere either. Meanwhile we had Chelf sitting on the bench who had backed up Weeden for 2 years and knew the offense.
Lunt wasn't the wrong choice. He was freaking good when he was healthy.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Did Trevor Lawrence play CFB last year? Did that push back Clemson back a year? Do you see the irony of your statement?

It makes sense theoretically, but doesn't hold water in real life. Spencer Sanders will be fine.
Lol are you saying Clemson and OSU are on the same level? Clemson will be in the NC picture every year. OSU will require building talent and bodies to make a run at the playoffs every 4 years. So yes by pushing back Sanders development a year it has pushed back any run we make. No there isnt any irony in it because Clemson and OSU arent even comparable in terms of talent and programs.

Mar 31, 2011
Lol are you saying Clemson and OSU are on the same level? Clemson will be in the NC picture every year. OSU will require building talent and bodies to make a run at the playoffs every 4 years. So yes by pushing back Sanders development a year it has pushed back any run we make. No there isnt any irony in it because Clemson and OSU arent even comparable in terms of talent and programs.
Ah, I see. The rules you've made up in your head only apply to some teams. You should have led with that.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lunt wasn't the wrong choice. He was freaking good when he was healthy.
I often get on to those who question Gundy these days, but I was all over Gundy about that one...He threw two picks in Zona that lost us that game, IMHO...one a pick six. That was inexperience and I still think, to this day, that the right starter was Chelf from the get go. Lunt to his credit did have a couple of very good games and could make the ball hum prior to getting hurt...another reason, IMHO, it, in his freshmen year, was the wrong time to start him. Bottom line, fans don't know and I didn't know either...just wanted Chelf to start since he had paid his dues and I felt he was the better option over an unproven true freshmen...I think that proved true, considering Lunt transferred and Chelf had some stellar games including vs #15 Tech and #24 Texas on the road and the huge win over #3 Baylor at home...all huge at the time.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I often get on to those who question Gundy these days, but I was all over Gundy about that one...He threw two picks in Zona that lost us that game, IMHO...one a pick six. That was inexperience and I still think, to this day, that the right starter was Chelf from the get go. Lunt to his credit did have a couple of very good games and could make the ball hum prior to getting hurt...another reason, IMHO, it, in his freshmen year, was the wrong time to start him. Bottom line, fans don't know and I didn't know either...just wanted Chelf to start since he had paid his dues and I felt he was the better option over an unproven true freshmen...I think that proved true, considering Lunt transferred and Chelf had some stellar games including vs #15 Tech and #24 Texas on the road and the huge win over #3 Baylor at home...all huge at the time.
He didn't cost us the game at Zona. We lost by 21, that single pick-6 didn't cost us the game. Our inability to stop Zona cost us the game at Zona. He was 37/60, 436, 4/3, passer rating 134.71. Zona put up 600 yards on us. We simply couldn't stop them.

We were fortunate to have a third string quarterback that year that could get us to a bowl game after the first two went down with injuries. That is pretty freaking rare. Usually the third string guys are named Daxx Garman, Al Pena, and Alex Cate.

You can't consider what happened after Lunt transferred. He was injured and was never the same and he had an awful team around him. He was the right starter. He was spectacular when he was healthy.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
He didn't cost us the game at Zona. We lost by 21, that single pick-6 didn't cost us the game. Our inability to stop Zona cost us the game at Zona. He was 37/60, 436, 4/3, passer rating 134.71. Zona put up 600 yards on us. We simply couldn't stop them.

We were fortunate to have a third string quarterback that year that could get us to a bowl game after the first two went down with injuries. That is pretty freaking rare. Usually the third string guys are named Daxx Garman, Al Pena, and Alex Cate.

You can't consider what happened after Lunt transferred. He was injured and was never the same and he had an awful team around him. He was the right starter. He was spectacular when he was healthy.
We will have to agree to disagree...it was what it was. Before he transferred Lunt played in 6 games and threw 7 picks, he also threw more picks than he did touchdowns (7 and 6 respectively) while in our uniform. That same year Chelf threw 15 Td's and had 6 int's. He averaged 186 ypg and Chelf averaged 198 ypg with a passer rating that same year of 147.2 which was higher than Lunts at 134.71. To be fair, Lunt had a great arm and was 6' 6" tall...Gundy liked his size and the ball he threw. When he was on, he was on...but he didn't have the ability, at that time, to elude the rush as well as we needed and made some normal freshmen decisions when he was under pressure. IMHO, Chelf was the more complete and ready at the time, based on time in system and ability to run. Qb decisions are very hard to make, especially when you have a guy who could spin it and had Weeden/Corndog size, then you throw in the spring game Lunt had that year. I felt that year and the next that Chelf was the right guy and made that argument on this board over and over again. It is what it is and people will never agree on it. It just highlights how difficult it must be for coaches to make QB decisions on a annual basis. We like to bitch and moan about QB choices but we NEVER know all the facts that they do. We really need to just defer to them, I was guilty in the Chelf years of not doing that. Even if, in hind-site the stats may back up the argument, we will never know what might have happened had the young man not gotten hurt. He did look to be the right person in the spring, but IMHO, sadly, youth overcame that as did the injury.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO

You forgot to add the absolute screw job that game by one of those great PAC12 officiating crews. Sean Hocchuli (Ed's son, who's now in the NFL) was spectacularly awful that night.

We were penalized 15 times for 167 in that game. Arizona was penalized 4 times for 27 yards. They got 6 of their 1st downs via penalty.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

You forgot to add the absolute screw job that game by one of those great PAC12 officiating crews. Sean Hocchuli (Ed's son, who's now in the NFL) was spectacularly awful that night.

We were penalized 15 times for 167 in that game. Arizona was penalized 4 times for 27 yards. They got 6 of their 1st downs via penalty.
Right, that was the game with the three personal fouls on one play, 45 yards walked off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
We will have to agree to disagree...it was what it was. Before he transferred Lunt played in 6 games and threw 7 picks, he also threw more picks than he did touchdowns (7 and 6 respectively) while in our uniform. That same year Chelf threw 15 Td's and had 6 int's. He averaged 186 ypg and Chelf averaged 198 ypg with a passer rating that same year of 147.2 which was higher than Lunts at 134.71. To be fair, Lunt had a great arm and was 6' 6" tall...Gundy liked his size and the ball he threw. When he was on, he was on...but he didn't have the ability, at that time, to elude the rush as well as we needed and made some normal freshmen decisions when he was under pressure. IMHO, Chelf was the more complete and ready at the time, based on time in system and ability to run. Qb decisions are very hard to make, especially when you have a guy who could spin it and had Weeden/Corndog size, then you throw in the spring game Lunt had that year. I felt that year and the next that Chelf was the right guy and made that argument on this board over and over again. It is what it is and people will never agree on it. It just highlights how difficult it must be for coaches to make QB decisions on a annual basis. We like to bitch and moan about QB choices but we NEVER know all the facts that they do. We really need to just defer to them, I was guilty in the Chelf years of not doing that. Even if, in hind-site the stats may back up the argument, we will never know what might have happened had the young man not gotten hurt. He did look to be the right person in the spring, but IMHO, sadly, youth overcame that as did the injury.
Most of those picks were the receiver’s fault. Lunt hit them and they couldn’t handle it.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Most of those picks were the receiver’s fault. Lunt hit them and they couldn’t handle it.
Only 2/7 hit the receiver, but one was really not his fault as it was under thrown on a cross route. I’m bored and stuck inside with a sick kiddo so I went ahead and chronicled his 7 picks for you so history won’t be misremembered. ;)

I will say in looking at this, his line allowed a lot of pressure causing forced throws possible injury.

1:04:00 WR fell down but pass was thrown into double coverage, underthrown, and tipped.
1:49:00 Bad throw under pressure.
2:02:00 receivers fault

0:15:00 Did hit receiver but was a bad throw behind the WR on a cross route.

1:06:00 Coverage fooled Lunt into a bad throw.

1:14:00 Terrible throw under pressure

1:25:00 Again terrible thrown under pressure.

Not tagging on the kid but that’s how it went down.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Btw, were all of those on the dreaded longhorn network or something...can't get over the longhorn symbol in the upper left hand corner of your screen shots...anyway, thanks for helping to prove my point...at least in my view.