OSU Coaching changes thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I have a low opinion of MY. I was just correcting the interpretation of a post.
Apparently so did Ohio State. He was an Ohio native, but couldn't impress the new, coaching staff to retain him. Doesn't sound like Ohio State felt they had a "diamond in the rough" find in MY.

I think Herman picked him up to more easily deal with Gundy in an effort to totally dominate the #2 position in the BIg 12 standings.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Where in the world did you get anything about us playing Ohio State in the college football playoff? My comment was that Yurcich is a very good OC and a threat to the entire Big 12 being the OC at Texas. He may end up being the reason Texas is “back”. I hope not, but my point is he was legit when he left here and is even more legit after a year at Ohio State coaching a Justin Fields.
I misread your initial post and missed the segway from Ohio State to Texas thinking you were talking about how it wasn't good for OSU. Therefore, I assumed you meant Ohio State's 5 star talent was not good for OSU (us) and the only way that could be would have been to play Ohio State in a game, which Gundy would NEVER schedule unless it was a CFP match up.
My bad.
Perhaps I should reconsider starting my day with breakfast burritos and tequila shots.
Next year.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I hope Texas won’t be upset if Yurcich brings them Top 5 and/or Top 10 in the nation offenses like he did when he was here. It’ll probably be pure luck and have nothing to do with him when it happens just like he had nothing to do with our offensive success when he was here .....
The silver lining here is that Gundy is pretty aware of how Yurcich thinks offensively. HELL, WE ALL DO TOO. That may be to our advantage when we play Texas next year.

And if Gundy ever realizes and utilizes the potential and offensive genius we are ready to share here at Orange Power Dot Com, then we can rightfully assume the throne of the Big 12 conference.

Awaiting a phone call.

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
The defense was worse in 2011.

Total defense
2011 #107
2012 #80

Remember not being able to stop Iowa State in the 2nd half? If we had a defense in the top 50 in 2011 we win everything.
Ya never said the defense was great in 2011, just that we lead the nation in turnovers. To be fair though, that team was the epidemy of "bend don't break" working. We gave up a TON of yards and first downs but we held decent in the red zone and got a ton of turnovers (remember that Baylor game?). But you can't just bank on turnovers and in 2012 we saw what happens when those stop coming in.

PokeJ

Sheriff
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I hope Texas won’t be upset if Yurcich brings them Top 5 and/or Top 10 in the nation offenses like he did when he was here. It’ll probably be pure luck and have nothing to do with him when it happens just like he had nothing to do with our offensive success when he was here .....
The silver lining here is that Gundy is pretty aware of how Yurcich thinks offensively. HELL, WE ALL DO TOO. That may be to our advantage when we play Texas next year.

And if Gundy ever realizes and utilizes the potential and offensive genius we are ready to share here at Orange Power Dot Com, then we can rightfully assume the throne of the Big 12 conference.

Awaiting a phone call.
Does he ever really read HereComesBullets emails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Apr 7, 2006
I've never understood the "Yurcich sucks" comments (or "Gundy sucks" for that matter) but I've never been terribly impressed either. Seemed like a good coach, but just had too many inexplicably bad calls/games for me to get too high on the guy.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
The reason Yurcich was bad wasn't his overall results. It was his in-game (specifically clutch time) decision making. Going ultra concervative when we needed to pound the opponent into submission.

However, that is also an issue that seems to have persisted so it is possible that could be Gundy controlling/overriding things.

Overall, I getting Monken back in here would be huge as he would have a lot more power established from the beginning and it could help keep Gundy out of things.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
The reason Yurcich was bad wasn't his overall results. It was his in-game (specifically clutch time) decision making. Going ultra concervative when we needed to pound the opponent into submission.

However, that is also an issue that seems to have persisted so it is possible that could be Gundy controlling/overriding things.

Overall, I getting Monken back in here would be huge as he would have a lot more power established from the beginning and it could help keep Gundy out of things.
This is why his move to Texas OC will be so interesting to watch. Will we see that same phenomenon, or will it look different? It may shed some light on the Jekyll/Hyde play calling we saw, and which parts may have been Gundy interfering.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
So anyway, back on topic .

Here is how I see things currently with our OC search.

Browns interview McCarthy --> McCarthy waiting on other jobs--> Browns waiting on McCarthy --> Monken waiting on Browns --> We are waiting on Monken.

McCarthy (unofficially) has taken the Dallas job so the first Domino has fallen. However, there are still two other NFL HC jobs besides the Browns. I'm thinking the Browns make a hire by the end of the week. Once that happens, the rest should fall pretty quick (a day or two). Then we should know if Monken is coming. If he isn't we either move Dunn up or look elsewhere.

Do I have this right? Anyone disagree?

Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Mullet Man Birry, Birry Bad. No redeeming qualities, Mullet Man must go. Mullet Man has no knowledge of the complicated game of American Football. Yatta,Yata,Yata.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Does he ever really read HereComesBullets emails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean does everyone have the time or interest in going through each and every post to make sure they're not repeating someone or that they're all up to date on the topic or is HereComesBullet's email the definitive gold standard of fan message board posts?
Not sure what you're trying to say with your cryptic post.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I saw where the Browns were interviewing a couple of OCs for the HC position, which makes me optimistic that they will want to implement their own offenses which will not require Monken's participation, thus freeing Monken to rejoin our Cowboy family.

That's my hope.

Dec 21, 2008
If I am the Browns and my OC was saying negative things to an opponent pregame I would've already packed his office up and shipped him out. I don't care what the context or justification is. He needs a new scene and I love the guy. I do not know what the hold up is? Unless their brass likes him and thinks a new HC will retain him? If an OC gets the Browns job, wouldn't he already have an OC in mind or a co-worker he brings along with him?

Jan 14, 2006
So anyway, back on topic .

Here is how I see things currently with our OC search.

Browns interview McCarthy --> McCarthy waiting on other jobs--> Browns waiting on McCarthy --> Monken waiting on Browns --> We are waiting on Monken.

McCarthy (unofficially) has taken the Dallas job so the first Domino has fallen. However, there are still two other NFL HC jobs besides the Browns. I'm thinking the Browns make a hire by the end of the week. Once that happens, the rest should fall pretty quick (a day or two). Then we should know if Monken is coming. If he isn't we either move Dunn up or look elsewhere.

Do I have this right? Anyone disagree?
Agree. I think the only way Dunn stays and is not the OC is if Monken comes as OC. Monken recommendation was is the reason Dunn came here originally.

The fact that we haven't heard anything is good since the NFL stuff has to happen first for us to get Monk.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
If I am the Browns and my OC was saying negative things to an opponent pregame I would've already packed his office up and shipped him out. I don't care what the context or justification is. He needs a new scene and I love the guy. I do not know what the hold up is? Unless their brass likes him and thinks a new HC will retain him? If an OC gets the Browns job, wouldn't he already have an OC in mind or a co-worker he brings along with him?
I think part of it is also a game of chicken with contracts. From my little knowledge It seems highly unlikely any new coach will want to retain the existing assistant (definitely the top ones). However, I think the browns are hoping some will leave of their own accord and save them money contract wise (quitting vs being fired).

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Update:

According to Twitter the Browns are now the lone vacancy.

Carolina supposedly hired Matt Rhule
NY supposedly hired the Patriots ST and WR coach (what?!?!?)

If all this is true, we may see movement from the Brown sooner than thought.