OSU baseball at DodgerTown Classic

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Chairman of the Board

Territorial Marshal
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Some good developments from the weekend--
Boone raised his average to .298 with six hits
Tank raised his average to .245 with a 3 for 4 Sunday
Parker Scott got back on the mound and put up a zero
Leeper was dominant!
May have found that third starter with a great performance by Joe.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Leeper was dominant!
All great points! And what a clutch single by Garcia to start the 10th. Also, despite the HR, it sounded like Gragg threw well. The 2 Ks in the 7th were big time.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Mike Rooney was in LA this weekend for the games. He had the comments below which seem to be spot on. The middle infield concerns me as well. Overall I'm excited about the team, but Hewitt has struggled in the field. Hopefully he will continue to improve there.

[B]Mike Rooney[/B]‏ @[B]Mike_Rooney[/B]
FollowFollow @Mike_Rooney
More
Lot to like about @OSUBaseball: older lineup, tremendous depth of arms, strong defensively in most spots.. the MIF needs to continue to gel but the punch outs are the big concern. 16 in this game & 8 of 9 regulars average at least 1 per game. 2 wins out here is big though..

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
I was hoping to see tanner sparks or Tyler Polk by this point. Anyone know if they have a shot of seeing the mound this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
Really great weekend to be a Cowboy.

For the baseball team, this was a good step forward but also a great learning experience. Was good to see us play a clean game, except for the ball McCusker lost in the sun, and be rewarded for it. Good to see Tank and Boone get it going, and it just feels like we’re barely scratching the surface at times of how good this lineup can be offensively. For the pitching, it was great to see them step up and slam the door after facing some adversity late. This is the first time this season, I think, for our pitching staff to face adversity late, not get rattled and slam the door cleanly. Every pitcher did very well yesterday, but those were big steps forward for Basso and Leeper. Joe was tremendous. And I like this role for Gragg. Would like to see him in the pen the rest of this year and maybe take another stab at starting next year, if he doesn’t go pro.

Bottom line is, if this team can cut down on mistakes, they’ll win a good amount of ball games. Good news is that there really are lots of areas for improvement, and yet it feels like we’re light years ahead of where we were at this point last season.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Leeper was dominant!
and Battenfield.......... that was an incredible relief effort! Stone has me a bit worried....... Right there w/ ya on Joe, Trevor and Tank. strikeouts are still way to high........

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
and Battenfield.......... that was an incredible relief effort! Stone has me a bit worried....... Right there w/ ya on Joe, Trevor and Tank. strikeouts are still way to high........

I’ve been waiting since 2014 for us to have another Vince Wheeland. I think we have that now in Battenfield. Now we need our starters to go longer so that we can use him on fridays and sundays. Basso and Scott could really challenge Lyons for that Saturday middle relief spot so he better turn a corner fast.

Aug 19, 2015
ataballfield
My take on the weekend,
Battenfield was the MVP of the weekend. His effort stabilized the game and gave the team a chance. He saved the bullpen for the rest of the weekend.
Bullpen let one get away in the UCLA game but we may have tried to ride a horse too long.
Defense played solid and seems to be taking steps in the right direction.
Good to see Trevor and Colin get on the right side of at bats. Need to get all to start to gel together.
Strikeouts are still painful and we watch a lot of good pitches.
Carter is the starter behind the plate and unless Taylor can challenge him, there's no one else that belongs back there.
Mitchell has the tools but needs to get meaner.
Joe, Big Joe, did what he typically does and was a workhorse. Love that kid!
Great to see Parker on the mound and he can add a good lefthand arm to the bullpen.
Gragg could have a new role and Basso looked really good. Hopefully Jeckyl sticks around.
Leeper showed what the coaches and his teammates have seen glimpses of in him, total dominance.

Overall a good weekend but could have been great.

Last edited: