OSU at TCU basketball 8 p.m. tonight

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Not sure why they went away from Anei down the stretch. He was on fire and their big guy had 4 fouls. Instead you had Likelele turning it over, shooting an air ball, and Cam shooting with his back to the basket and losing control of the ball on his shot.

Not forcing them to pick up the ball on the inbounds those 2-3 possessions bit them in the ass. That is on the coaching staff. The little things win or lose you games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2011
Got up 5 with 2:30 left and needed a stop and they hit a 3. That was killer as was the foul on the 3 pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, bad foul by Cam.
Not sure why they went away from Anei down the stretch. He was on fire and their big guy had 4 fouls. Instead you had Likelele turning it over, shooting an air ball, and Cam shooting with his back to the basket and losing control of the ball on his shot.

Not forcing them to pick up the ball on the inbounds those 2-3 possessions bit them in the ass. That is on the coaching staff. The little things win or lose you games.

I hope they try running more offense through Anei the rest of the year. Likelele seemed to have a good connection with him tonight. Let those two take a bigger role in the offense to help them develop. Those two can create as well as the three juniors in terms of getting a shot off. Might as well let them continue to build on that the rest of the year.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Got up 5 with 2:30 left and needed a stop and they hit a 3. That was killer as was the foul on the 3 pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, bad foul by Cam.

I hope they try running more offense through Anei the rest of the year. Likelele seemed to have a good connection with him tonight. Let those two take a bigger role in the offense to help them develop. Those two can create as well as the three juniors in terms of getting a shot off. Might as well let them continue to build on that the rest of the year.
Not to mention as Anei becomes more consistent inside that will open up shots for Waters and Dizzy for 3. Traditional inside out.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Coaching staff should be credited for then playing hard but terrible job not force feeding anei last 4 min. Also get out of the dang zone. I see why we do it first hakd cuz zero depth. Second half man up. Anei and likele played great. Too bad we didn't get rebound off of missed TCU free throw. That was a killer.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
I have been pretty critical of the team’s play on offense and defense most of the year. So going to give it up to them for their second half play tonight. They were more disciplined (on offense especially) and played hard. Hated to see them lose like that.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
They left it all on the court tonight and nearly pulled out a win. I loved their grittiness. More pieces are coming together and they are building something that will be dangerous next year with the new guys coming in.
Yeah, definitely not sad about this. Not worried in the slightest. Again, incremental progress is all I'm looking for. We saw some of that in Likekele and Anei taking over. Also, good comeback. They just got really lucky in the end. Anei played great defense on that winning shot, the guy just put a lot of arch on it and, well, there ya go.

Nov 14, 2010
I have been pretty critical of the team’s play on offense and defense most of the year. So going to give it up to them for their second half play tonight. They were more disciplined (on offense especially) and played hard. Hated to see them lose like that.

I love X's and O's but know next to nothing about the X's and O's of basketball.

You seem to have a pretty good and honest understanding of the X's and O's of this coaching staff.

Can you kind of expand on what you see with the X's and O's of this staff.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Yeah, definitely not sad about this. Not worried in the slightest. Again, incremental progress is all I'm looking for. We saw some of that in Likekele and Anei taking over. Also, good comeback. They just got really lucky in the end. Anei played great defense on that winning shot, the guy just put a lot of arch on it and, well, there ya go.
that dude would've missed that shot the next 5 tries.

They wanted to take away our two best players (Lindy and McGriff) and wanted the freshmen to beat them, well damnit they almost did. Ice is learning to use his frame to create a better shot for himself inside. He's not the fastest, most athletic guy on the court, but neither was Marcus Smart.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
I love X's and O's but know next to nothing about the X's and O's of basketball.

You seem to have a pretty good and honest understanding of the X's and O's of this coaching staff.

Can you kind of expand on what you see with the X's and O's of this staff.
I've played bball since middle school, but don't really give a crap about "x's and o's". (Don't take that to mean I'm undermining your comment, because I'm not.)

One thing I can tell you is the team doesn't move well on offense, which isn't really an "x and o" thing. Their off-the-ball movement is really really horrendous. And then it turns into one-on-one iso ball. That isn't good especially during the TCU game, where they made Cam McGriff take some really dumb shots. It's just absolutely hilarious to me how the Golden State Warriors, as much as I hate them, really do an amazing job of ball movement. They're always throwing the extra pass. And yet, so many teams *still* don't do it. We have three really great outside shooters (Dziagwa, Lindy, and Jones). The three of them should play together more often, but they need to be able to move the ball faster.

Also, Dziagwa doing the Russell Westbrook-patented "dribble up the court and chuck it from 25 feet out" thing really pisses me off. He did this a few times in the TCU game if I remember correctly. He can make them...but do it under control and when wide open. This isn't the time to impress people with your range, it's the time to play absolutely efficient and smart, given the circumstances.

Anei, I have nothing bad to say about. He is going to be so damn good the next few seasons. He mostly does everything right.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper: Center Yor Anei’s development becoming more apparent with each game

STILLWATER — When Yor Anei arrived at Oklahoma State, he couldn’t play 20 minutes in a game before wearing down.

Like a lot of freshmen, he wasn’t in shape. As a long-limbed, 6-foot-10 forward, he also needed to learn how to play defense without fouling.

In Anei’s first five Big 12 games, his need for development was plain and clear.

His averages: 17.8 minutes, five points, 2.6 rebounds, 0.8 blocks and an unsightly 9.4 fouls per 40 minutes. Anei picked up at least four fouls in every game, including four in 12 minutes against West Virginia and four in 13 against Texas.

After the fifth game, a loss to Baylor, Mike Boynton dismissed three players from the team — including two forwards, Kentrevious Jones and Maurice Calloo. Suddenly, the need for Anei to stay on the court became paramount.

His last five games: 31.2 minutes, 10.6 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.2 blocks. And only 2.8 fouls per 40.

Dec 9, 2013
I've played bball since middle school, but don't really give a crap about "x's and o's". (Don't take that to mean I'm undermining your comment, because I'm not.)

One thing I can tell you is the team doesn't move well on offense, which isn't really an "x and o" thing. Their off-the-ball movement is really really horrendous. And then it turns into one-on-one iso ball. That isn't good especially during the TCU game, where they made Cam McGriff take some really dumb shots. It's just absolutely hilarious to me how the Golden State Warriors, as much as I hate them, really do an amazing job of ball movement. They're always throwing the extra pass. And yet, so many teams *still* don't do it. We have three really great outside shooters (Dziagwa, Lindy, and Jones). The three of them should play together more often, but they need to be able to move the ball faster.

Also, Dziagwa doing the Russell Westbrook-patented "dribble up the court and chuck it from 25 feet out" thing really pisses me off. He did this a few times in the TCU game if I remember correctly. He can make them...but do it under control and when wide open. This isn't the time to impress people with your range, it's the time to play absolutely efficient and smart, given the circumstances.

Anei, I have nothing bad to say about. He is going to be so damn good the next few seasons. He mostly does everything right.
Lindy & Jones are not come off screens, catch & shoot guys (think Rutherford). They are better at stepping straight into the shot off a dribble penetrate & kick. Or if you run your offense through a post which is a threat to score & requires a help freeing up a step in shooter. Problem is our driver has no confidence in his outside shot so his man can play at least a step off which means the spot up shooter’s man doesn’t have to help off or play towards the line. This means they close out faster on DIzzy, Lindy & Jones who are also little threat to drive past them so defenders can close taller w at least one hens up. This makes 3 pt shot contested. DIzzy is getting better at lateral movement & catch & shoot but we don’t have enough bodies to get the right line up with him. Then we really don’t have anyone that can create a shot off the bounce. Ice can but most teams play a step back to keep him in front. For the life of me I can’t figure out why TCU played aggressive with him so far from the basket but I’m glad they did.

I agree we get lead footed on O but we are also terrible passers. This seems to really affect Jones. He is much better if the ball hits him mid section up. If he has to drop his hands below his waist or off to the side his % goes way down (I know this is applicable to most shooters but Jones is really susceptible). Ball movement & piss poor passing (pace & missing shooters hand position) are my pet peeves. These are easy fundamentals to stress and improve & can make a 10 point improvement in your 3 pt %. This is why I like watching Nova as they stress passing & it shows in their offense.

Nov 17, 2008
Tulsa, OK
I agree with the previous posts, but what I want to point out and stress, is that our main problem is the players we have and their limitations. Only so much can be accomplished with 'Xs and Os'. How do other teams score against us? It all starts with either post moves that require help, or penetration into the lane. Anything good that we did against TCU either happened in transition, or because of those things. (or by a TCU mental lapse).