OSU alum sues Sports Illustrated over 'Dirty Game' series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
My wife is in the legal profession in OKC and she knows Tim DeGiusti and worked with his brother Steve. She said Tim is a fair and no-nonsense judge. SI could get eviscerated by a jury in Judge DeGiusti's court if the evidence shows that there is no basis for the allegations that were made which it seems obvious at this point to be true. I showed her the Scheduling Order listed a few posts above and she just told me that she guarantees that this case will be settled and gone long before October. SI has too much to lose and she said expect settlement offers from SI to be forthcoming if they already haven't been. SI would be insane to allow this to go to trial.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It would be funny if John declined the settlement offer and took these jokers to trial just to expose Thayer Evans as a OU homer and that pompus Ph.D. Putz prize clown as a fraud.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
My wife is in the legal profession in OKC and she knows Tim DeGiusti and worked with his brother Steve. She said Tim is a fair and no-nonsense judge. SI could get eviscerated by a jury in Judge DeGiusti's court if the evidence shows that there is no basis for the allegations that were made which it seems obvious at this point to be true. I showed her the Scheduling Order listed a few posts above and she just told me that she guarantees that this case will be settled and gone long before October. SI has too much to lose and she said expect settlement offers from SI to be forthcoming if they already haven't been. SI would be insane to allow this to go to trial.
I know nothing but I would bet on a longer time frame.

I know when SI buys their way out of this Talley can't say anything, but if he gets a truckload of money I would love to see him make a very public announcement of a donation to our athletic department that happens to match the cost of our self investigation.

EmptySeat

Territorial Marshal
Jan 20, 2007
I'd think that any settlement would reflect poorly on them. A settlement means you think that there is a chance you'd lose in court, so even one of those "undisclosed terms" settlements would not be great for them. This assumes that they can buy Talley off at all. Sounds like he's more concerned with his reputation being smeared than cash.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'd think that any settlement would reflect poorly on them. A settlement means you think that there is a chance you'd lose in court, so even one of those "undisclosed terms" settlements would not be great for them. This assumes that they can buy Talley off at all. Sounds like he's more concerned with his reputation being smeared than cash.
It's hard to ignore some big numbers. He was not motivated by money, I think this is very personal to him. But an offer of enough money gets anyone to thinking what they could do with that money, it's hard to pass up.

EmptySeat

Territorial Marshal
Jan 20, 2007
It's hard to ignore some big numbers. He was not motivated by money, I think this is very personal to him. But an offer of enough money gets anyone to thinking what they could do with that money, it's hard to pass up.
And I wouldn't blame him a single bit.

the truth

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2004
I know nothing but I would bet on a longer time frame.

I know when SI buys their way out of this Talley can't say anything, but if he gets a truckload of money I would love to see him make a very public announcement of a donation to our athletic department that happens to match the cost of our self investigation.
Knowing John and Carol I would say that John is most definitely not motivated by money. I would also say that if John got a large settlement (doubtful in my opinion) that what he gave away would be given to a church related need, not the athletic dept. (this is just an opinion, I don't have that from the horses mouth).

I would also say re: SI wanting to settle being an admission of guilt, isn't anywhere near the truth. Most large companies when faced with these choices opt to settle. Once it's settled they don't have to hear anymore about it. The issue generally disappears completely.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
:closed:

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Knowing John and Carol I would say that John is most definitely not motivated by money. I would also say that if John got a large settlement (doubtful in my opinion) that what he gave away would be given to a church related need, not the athletic dept. (this is just an opinion, I don't have that from the horses mouth).

I would also say re: SI wanting to settle being an admission of guilt, isn't anywhere near the truth. Most large companies when faced with these choices opt to settle. Once it's settled they don't have to hear anymore about it. The issue generally disappears completely.
John is not about money...If it was he would not be working for the Fellowship for Christian Athletes. By all reports he is an outstanding person.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
I have no personal knowledge, but....

If I were SI I would attempt to settle out of court for an amount of money that could be reasonably considered "go away" money as possible (less than $50,000, say). I would then spin the story that we just paid to avoid the cost of the defending the suit, but that there was no admission of guilt/wrongdoing on their part. Then try to let the story die away.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Did this ever go anywhere? Even if they settle I would think this would be in the news.

BTW I'm still sticking with my over bet on the time frame.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Nov 8, 2007
So, this has been dead for 3 years?
I checked PACER this morning. There are pleadings filed at least weekly, and often daily up through this month. There is a motion for summary judgment that has been filed by the Defendants, and all parties are working to get that motion responded to and ruled upon by the Court. That motion will dictate how this case proceeds. If it is granted, game over. If it is denied, even in part, then the case will go to trial in some manner, or the case will settle. It is moving, and my humble opinion is that all lawyers are very diligent and are quite capable at representing their respective clients interests.