OSU alum sues Sports Illustrated over 'Dirty Game' series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
The site requires you to register, which I may try to do later. But the irony of this, if I understand correctly, is bad reporting is not what creates any liability. Actually bad reporting is their defense.

So Thayer "Hobie Point" Evans being a bad journalist helps SI.
Bingo. I can't recall exactly, but the story refers to OSU players as being "grossly overpaid" or "paid far more than the job is worth". Time, Inc. is arguing that these are statements of opinion, not fact. They are using the what's one man's treasure is another man's junk argument for this. It almost makes one question if Thamel has been informed about his attorneys arguments. I don't know how anyone can read his reporting in the future and not ask whether he is reporting fact, opinion, conjecture, or all three.

Feb 25, 2008
Bingo. I can't recall exactly, but the story refers to OSU players as being "grossly overpaid" or "paid far more than the job is worth". Time, Inc. is arguing that these are statements of opinion, not fact. They are using the what's one man's treasure is another man's junk argument for this. It almost makes one question if Thamel has been informed about his attorneys arguments. I don't know how anyone can read his reporting in the future and not ask whether he is reporting fact, opinion, conjecture, or all three.
My kids worked with John at FCA stuff. It's my understanding that many of the players only worked for him once due to John working them too hard. :)

EmptySeat

Territorial Marshal
Jan 20, 2007
Well we know that if their editors have editors, those folks failed dramatically at their jobs. The question is now, are their lawyers' lawyers any better?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Guys, there are lawyers involved. This is going to be a drawn out process. None of it will hinge on your understanding of theprocess, or even on your comfort level in the process. In fact, I doubt if they even consider the emotions and concerns of posters on this board (the inconsiderate jerks!!!) There will be no instant gratification on this one...:cursing:
So what kind of time frame do you consider reasonable?

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
So what kind of time frame do you consider reasonable?
Well, let's see, OSU was basically found clean, and si has been reduced to a girlie swimsuit magazine as far as credibility goes, and hobie evans is widely regarded as a joke, I'd say about now.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Well, let's see, OSU was basically found clean, and si has been reduced to a girlie swimsuit magazine as far as credibility goes, and hobie evans is widely regarded as a joke, I'd say about now.
That's a start. I'm still hoping to see a large cash payout to Talley, SI to stop employing Thayer Evans (the guy caught in a sting at Hobie Point) it amazes me they still pay him for work, and our Orange Pride organization to start up again.

I understand the wheels of justice turn slowly. I would hope a couple of years should be enough to get the legal action moving.

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Guys, there are lawyers involved. This is going to be a drawn out process. None of it will hinge on your understanding of theprocess, or even on your comfort level in the process. In fact, I doubt if they even consider the emotions and concerns of posters on this board (the inconsiderate jerks!!!) There will be no instant gratification on this one...:cursing:
So what would you consider a reasonable response time? Am I being too emotional, if I am hoping the process is at least making some progress in 2 years?

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
So what would you consider a reasonable response time? Am I being too emotional, if I am hoping the process is at least making some progress in 2 years?
Reasonable response time? A meaningless phrase when you're talking about a deal like this. Their best defense is to drag it out until no one can remember the facts hoping it will go away. Your mistake is in getting an emotional involvement with a legal matter.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Reasonable response time? A meaningless phrase when you're talking about a deal like this. Their best defense is to drag it out until no one can remember the facts hoping it will go away. Your mistake is in getting an emotional involvement with a legal matter.
No doubt. But even the legal process has to have some small concern for justice, even if it has become more about billable hours.

Not to turn this into a lawyer bashing thread, but maybe someone who knows the legal system could explain how long this is likely to take and what avenues the litigant has to ensure the defense doesn't stall infinitely.

LEGALPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 6, 2005
Oklahoma City
No doubt. But even the legal process has to have some small concern for justice, even if it has become more about billable hours.

Not to turn this into a lawyer bashing thread, but maybe someone who knows the legal system could explain how long this is likely to take and what avenues the litigant has to ensure the defense doesn't stall infinitely.
Discovery on something like this could likely take 2 years alone. Who knows how many depositions have been taken? In short, this is not drawn out necessarily. If you want some solace, fed court typically streamlines things and keeps irons to the fire. You cannot stall indefinitely in that venue usually.

Nov 8, 2007
Below is the Scheduling Order that was entered following the parties Rule 26 conference.

SCHEDULING ORDER: Motions to join due 14 days; Motions to amend due 14 days; Pla expert witness list and expert reports due 08/05/2016; Dft expert witness list and expert reports due 08/19/2016; Pla witness list due 08/19/2016; Dft witness list due 14 days; Pla exhibit list due 08/19/2016; Dft exhibit list due 14 days; Motions in limine due 10/21/2016; Jury instructions due 10/21/2016; Voir dire requests due 10/21/2016; Trial briefs due 10/21/2016; Discovery due by 10/7/2016. Jury Trial set for 12/5/2016 09:30 AM in Courtroom 503 before Honorable Timothy D. DeGiusti. Motions due by 9/7/2016. Pretrial Report due by 10/21/2016.. Signed by Honorable Timothy D. DeGiusti on 01/07/2016. (jb) (Entered: 01/07/2016)