OSU alum sues Sports Illustrated over 'Dirty Game' series

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
STILLWATER — A Fellowship of Christian Athletes representative who reportedly paid illegal benefits to Oklahoma State University football players has sued Time Inc. over his portrayal in the Sports Illustrated series "The Dirty Game."
A lawsuit filed Thursday in Payne County District Court by John Talley lists Sports Illustrated Magazine, along with employees George Dohrmann and Thayer Evans, as defendants.

Talley is seeking damages in excess of $10,000 that he claims are a result of the September 2013 Sports Illustrated investigative series into the Oklahoma State University football program titled “The Dirty Game.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_1366bae1-c002-57ee-a469-4b5bef84d44b.html

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
STILLWATER — A Fellowship of Christian Athletes representative who reportedly paid illegal benefits to Oklahoma State University football players has sued Time Inc. over his portrayal in the Sports Illustrated series "The Dirty Game."
A lawsuit filed Thursday in Payne County District Court by John Talley lists Sports Illustrated Magazine, along with employees George Dohrmann and Thayer Evans, as defendants.

Talley is seeking damages in excess of $10,000 that he claims are a result of the September 2013 Sports Illustrated investigative series into the Oklahoma State University football program titled “The Dirty Game.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...cle_1366bae1-c002-57ee-a469-4b5bef84d44b.html

About dang time. It is sickening that they have gotten away with that crap to this point. I still want OSU to go after them.

Apr 13, 2007
Back in the early 60s, the Saturday Evening Post did a story claiming
Bear Bryant and Wally Butts of Georgia conspired to fix a football game. It later became clear that the story was false and Bryant and Butts sued for a large amount of money.

They won and collected although I don't think either of them needed the money.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
$10,000?

That's a weird, small number. Maybe he is just getting the ball rolling for everyone else to pile on.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Mike it says "in excess of $10,000". Lawsuits say that. It's the line between district court and small claims. Even if it's for $500K, it will say "in excess of $10,000".
I find out learn new law things do stuff thanks!

OrangeForever

Member of the SAS
Dec 8, 2007
Even though our resident lawyers have made it clear that none of these cases will have any success, I'm glad that they are at least happening.
I'm no @CowboyJD , obviously, but I was sort of under the impression that the lack of potential success was pertinent only to any sort of class action suits that might be filed by, say, a group like Orange Pride.

I would think an individual like John Talley would have a different case, however, as he was very much singled out in a manner that could be construed as false light, defamation of character and any number of other things relevant to his position in the community.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Even though our resident lawyers have made it clear that none of these cases will have any success, I'm glad that they are at least happening.
Actually, I never said anything about individual suits by arguably non-public individuals drug into the matter.

My statements have pertained to the UNIVERSITY suing SI.

Just so we're clear.