Open letter to Coach's Holder/Holliday/Walton from a fan who wants to be a FAN

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
I've been to more practices than I can count - during Lees' time and Vilade's time - and I've never seen anyone but Josh coach hitting. I can't say what goes on behind the scenes, but I've always understood that Josh is the hitting coach.
Up until this year, I've seen Walton work with several, several hitters. I think all that stopped about halfway through this year though.

I think the Vilade has absolutely zero to do with hitting now, and I don't think he has anything to do with the infielders anymore either.

That's just what I see from the interactions between coaches and players. Jame's used to interact with his infielders non-stop, I don't see that interaction anymore

Apr 7, 2006
Probably time to relax a little...

Does the pitching, defense and hitting all need to improve next year? Yes - no doubt.

Our coaches need to recruit/coach to/play guys that can produce runs more consistently and have discipline at the plate. We need to find pitchers that can fill up the strike zone and stop putting guys on base. Finally, we need to be better defensively - especially behind the plate - we gave up way too many errors/wild pitches/past balls for runs when games mattered. Some of these things look dramatically different with 3 or 4 more contributors and improvement from returning players.

I was sitting here though at the end of April thinking we had the Big XII and maybe national coach of the year based on how much better our team had gotten. So was the team average all along due to coaching and just overcome it for 5 weekends? Or was the coaching good all along and the team just didn't play well in the beginning of the season and in May/June? Not sure - probably a little of both.

We've made it to day 2 of the regional every year Holliday has been at OSU. In 2016 we were 1 game from the title series, 2017 we won the Big XII tournament and 2018 we were 2nd in the conference and made the regional final.

We currently have the worst facilities in the Big XII conference and could possibly have worse facilities than some high schools that we recruit.

We've had some bad luck with injuries the last couple years.

There isn't a coach in America that's going to get more out of this team or energize our fans more than Josh Holliday.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
A lot of overreaction in your letter. The one thing I would like to see that was mentioned is a big time dedicated hitting coach added (wonder what Matt Holliday is up to). It’s hard to watch how undisciplined we are at the plate after so many years of Gary Ward style plate discipline. His batters ran pitch counts to the limit for opposing pitchers and they didn’t constantly “golf” at balls in the dirt. It did seem like nobody this year was ever looking for a base hit and guys were always swinging for the fences. But considering injuries and other factors we probably over achieved with a 2nd place finish.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
I thought we've always had 3 coaches and volunteer coaches. I guess the NCAA limits Baseball coaches like Football.

So is it 3 full time Baseball coaches ?

How do volunteer coaches survive?

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
A lot of overreaction in your letter. The one thing I would like to see that was mentioned is a big time dedicated hitting coach added (wonder what Matt Holliday is up to). It’s hard to watch how undisciplined we are at the plate after so many years of Gary Ward style plate discipline. His batters ran pitch counts to the limit for opposing pitchers and they didn’t constantly “golf” at balls in the dirt. It did seem like nobody this year was ever looking for a base hit and guys were always swinging for the fences. But considering injuries and other factors we probably over achieved with a 2nd place finish.
College pitching is MUCH better today. If you took a ‘pure’ Ward approach you’d be hitting from 0-2 against most of top and many of the mid tier kids. This team had a lot of swing and misses but they, ftmp, didn’t look overmatched and there’s a difference, much of last year they looked overmatched. I think they probably pressed because they were keenly aware that they needed to put up 5-6 runs at a minimum most days, they couldn’t just say let’s get 2 or 3 early and we’ll be ok.
2nd place alone final 32 and all 3 projected sp’s out. I’d say they more than met expectations. My $0.02 which is about what it’s worth

Nov 14, 2010
College pitching is MUCH better today. If you took a ‘pure’ Ward approach you’d be hitting from 0-2 against most of top and many of the mid tier kids. This team had a lot of swing and misses but they, ftmp, didn’t look overmatched and there’s a difference, much of last year they looked overmatched. I think they probably pressed because they were keenly aware that they needed to put up 5-6 runs at a minimum most days, they couldn’t just say let’s get 2 or 3 early and we’ll be ok.
2nd place alone final 32 and all 3 projected sp’s out. I’d say they more than met expectations. My $0.02 which is about what it’s worth
100% spot on

Not only is the pitching better now, so is the conference we play in.

Ward did not have to face Texas and TCU and Baylor and Tech in conference.

And, the bats were "MUCH" lively back then as well.

Bbcor bats are "WAY" deader than the bats they used back then.

Comparing anything Ward did back then to the way teams play offense now is comparing apples and oranges.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Things are not trending upward. They barely got in the tournament the last two years. Recruiting and retention is average, hitters who clearly lack good coaching, injuries for pitchers (is it conditioning or walton’s teaching), complete lack of fundamentals in all phases of defense.

Getting smoked the last two years in regional play by such powerhouses as Stetson, Missouri State, and oral Roberts is not a sign things are improving.

Josh is still the guy for the job but staffing changes should be considered. I’m not sure what villade offers. Hire a freaking hitting coach is a must. I watched numerous other regional games and teams like Troy have great approaches at the plate compared to OSU. We should be an attractive job for an assistant who specializes in hitting.
Stetson had one of the top pitchers in America and beat us. It sucks and I agree some what you're saying but let's see how next year goes. We had way too many injuries this year and finished 2nd in Big 12.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I won’t argue with you about the quality of pitching between then and now but I’m not sure there’s that huge of a difference. The biggest advantage back then were the bats themselves. I was proud of the character of our team this year but our hitters were definitely undisciplined this year a great deal of the time. They swung at a lot of bad pitches and watched a lot of good ones. Wards teams weren’t perfect but he was without question one hell of a hitting coach.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I won’t argue with you about the quality of pitching between then and now but I’m not sure there’s that huge of a difference. The biggest advantage back then were the bats themselves. I was proud of the character of our team this year but our hitters were definitely undisciplined this year a great deal of the time. They swung at a lot of bad pitches and watched a lot of good ones. Wards teams weren’t perfect but he was without question one hell of a hitting coach.
Ward is unparalleled that’s not a question but it was a different time and a different game. I suspect even Ward himself would modify his approach in today’s game, I know for certain his son did.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I thought we've always had 3 coaches and volunteer coaches. I guess the NCAA limits Baseball coaches like Football.

So is it 3 full time Baseball coaches ?

How do volunteer coaches survive?
Yes, 3 paid coaches (HC and 2 assistants).

I believe volunteer assistants have ways of making money - i.e. running camps, etc. - but it's definitely no more than a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Josh's first volunteer assistant, Steve Sabins, is now an assistant at WV and his second one, Roland Fanning, is now making a lot of noise at Kentucky.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
It certainly wasn't the greatest finish to the season, especially being within a win of a Big 12 Conference championship, but the pre-season prognosis wasn't stellar either.
I think these guys (with 5 of them being taken in the Pro draft) exceeded initial expectations.

I'd say Holder will buy the coach a Coke and say he did a pretty remarkable job this season.

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Not only is the pitching better now, so is the conference we play in.

Ward did not have to face Texas and TCU and Baylor and Tech in conference.
Although I agree with much of your post don't bedowngrade what Ward accomplished We made it to 7 CWS in a row by beating a lot of good teams in regionals too. The Big 8 had some pretty solid teams.

Nov 14, 2010
Although I agree with much of your post don't bedowngrade what Ward accomplished We made it to 7 CWS in a row by beating a lot of good teams in regionals too. The Big 8 had some pretty solid teams.
Totally fair

That certainly wasn't my intent.

What Ward did was remarkable and, as a huge OSU baseball fan, everyone should be very thankful for what he did at OSU.

PJCB67

Wrangler
Jul 1, 2004
North Central Okla
For those of you who are overjoyed at the great fielding and batting and general play of the team this year I will surrender to your great judgement and request the mods to lock up the thread. Actually I'm surprised it's stayed active this long.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
For those of you who are overjoyed at the great fielding and batting and general play of the team this year I will surrender to your great judgement and request the mods to lock up the thread. Actually I'm surprised it's stayed active this long.
I can't wait to read your open letter to Holder/Boynton 2 seasons removed from having gone to the Final Four. That'll be a hoot.

Could you pretend it's 1997 and write an open letter to Terry Don / Eddie Sutton? I'm sure that would be full of hilarity.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
i really am too, b/c you came up w/ one of the dumbest f'n OP's ever on this board.............. and that's saying a lot. well done:facepalm: