Only in California: Now, They Want to Tax Texts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...te-considers-plan-charge-messages/2288600002/

California is determining whether surcharges and user fees on text messaging comply with Public Purpose Programs, which use tax revenue to make telecommunications services accessible to low-income residents. The programs, which date to the 1930s, were given a face-lift in the late 1990s, allowing individual states to impose requirements to preserve what's referred to as a "universal service."

Meanwhile, the budget for subsidizing poorer users has risen by almost half, from $670 million in 2011 to $998 million in 2017, the filings said.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So what if the users start using an application to transmit messages instead of a text?
That's mentioned in the article, fwiw.

Based on what they're attempting to do here, they'll look for a way to hit the app users too.

"However, as mobile phone users shifted their behavior away from making phone calls, voice call revenue for these state programs has dropped by about a third, from $16.5 billion in 2011 to $11.3 billion in 2017, according to law filings. From the article:"

So, their revenues from phone calls are decreasing, while their subsidies to poorer users are increasing, so they're going after texts now. If this goes through (no idea what chance it has, just unbelievable to me the level of naked aggression when it comes to taxation there & govt. spending), more people will shift to the apps & you can damn sure bet they'll go after them then.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
So, their revenues from phone calls are decreasing, while their subsidies to poorer users are increasing, so they're going after texts now. If this goes through (no idea what chance it has, just unbelievable to me the level of naked aggression when it comes to taxation there & govt. spending), more people will shift to the apps & you can damn sure bet they'll go after them then.
Good. I hope they do.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
How many liberals would you like to die in that event? All of them or just enough to turn the state red? So much for compassionate conservative. Lol
I don't think anyone here claims to be a compassionate conservative when fighting liberalism. Hell, just the other day a liberal on the board called for the mass culling of the human population.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I don't think anyone here claims to be a compassionate conservative when fighting liberalism. Hell, just the other day a liberal on the board called for the mass culling of the human population.
So would that make you a member of Trump's armed militia ready and willing to attack the populace if impeachment looms? Culling sounds more like part of the Republican platform. Eliminate healthcare and pre existing conditions and cull the population. Effective

Last edited:

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
So would that make you a member of Trump's armed militia ready and willing to attack the populace if impeachment looms?
Any coup attempts and subversion of our republic should be faced down by a "well-armed militia" if all else fails.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
So would that make you a member of Trump's armed militia ready and willing to attack the populace if impeachment looms? Culling sounds more like part of the Republican platform. Eliminate healthcare and pre existing conditions and cull the population. Effective
No, it would make your post idiotic trolling.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
I'm sad Californians are relocating to Texas and bringing ideas like this with them.

Texas will turn blue. California will turn red. Like hammer and cicle red.