One Way to Strengthen the Big XII: Pac 12 Alliance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 23, 2009
New York
I'm just for playing better OOC games, I don't care what conference. I'm sick of playing South Alabama, Missouri State, Central Arkansas etc. If you're telling me we can play USC, Washington, Oregon and teams like that on a regular basis I'm all for it

Sep 9, 2013
I'm just for playing better OOC games, I don't care what conference. I'm sick of playing South Alabama, Missouri State, Central Arkansas etc. If you're telling me we can play USC, Washington, Oregon and teams like that on a regular basis I'm all for it
you dont need an alliance to schedule tough ooc games, you just need a coach with balls.

WVA has more blue chips than nebraska, and many other states.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...18/16780636/best-recruits-2019-state-rankings

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
in other words, the Pac 12 is sick of being ignored by the east coast because of the lateness of their games.......and they're hoping that games played in the central time zone would get shown earlier and discussed more. Meanwhile, the flip side of that is that some of those games will get played in the pacific time zone, at 11:00 PM eastern time, and the Big 12 teams in those games would then start getting ignored too.

If the Big 12 ever wants to become relevant again, they need to adopt the formula that the big 3 conferences have. At least 12 teams, 2 divisions, and only 8 conference games instead of 9. Partnering with the Pac 12, who makes the same mistake we do of laying 9 conference game, would only cement our fate as one of the lesser 2 of the power 5....forever fighting with them over that 4th spot in the playoff while the other 3 have an automatic bid.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The way forward if we are going to start a "challenge" like they have in basketball, is with the ACC.

I would much rather play Virginia Tech or Boston College than Cal or Arizona State. It just makes way more sense.

PistolChad

Galaxy Stranger
A/V Subscriber
Jun 23, 2004
IMO it would actually work better to partner with both the Pac and the ACC where each team in all 3 conferences are getting 2 games a season - one home and one away.

The B1G would be begging to join the consortium after being left out of the Playoffs more than any other P5 conference after 3-4 seasons of the Scheduling Alliance.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
IMO it would actually work better to partner with both the Pac and the ACC where each team in all 3 conferences are getting 2 games a season - one home and one away.

The B1G would be begging to join the consortium after being left out of the Playoffs more than any other P5 conference after 3-4 seasons of the Scheduling Alliance.
Hadn't thought of this, but it's an incredible idea. Especially if you can tier out the teams so that it's not putting two difficult teams on the schedule, you know? Like... you're not going to play Clemson and Washington in the same season... but maybe Washington State and Wake Forest.

I've actually been thinking about it a lot... after seeing Texas A&M flourish in the SEC (and, yeah, they haven't won anything but they've significantly risen their profile with improved facilities and better recruiting in all sports) outside of Texas' shadow, I really think that we could benefit in the same way. It's a shame that our academics aren't up to snuff, because from a wrestling (and probably even football and basketball) perspective we would be an incredible fit in the Big 10. Never going to happen... probably never even going to get out from under OU's shadow... but I think it would be good for us to get away from them.

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Hadn't thought of this, but it's an incredible idea. Especially if you can tier out the teams so that it's not putting two difficult teams on the schedule, you know? Like... you're not going to play Clemson and Washington in the same season... but maybe Washington State and Wake Forest.

I've actually been thinking about it a lot... after seeing Texas A&M flourish in the SEC (and, yeah, they haven't won anything but they've significantly risen their profile with improved facilities and better recruiting in all sports) outside of Texas' shadow, I really think that we could benefit in the same way. It's a shame that our academics aren't up to snuff, because from a wrestling (and probably even football and basketball) perspective we would be an incredible fit in the Big 10. Never going to happen... probably never even going to get out from under OU's shadow... but I think it would be good for us to get away from them.
But the flip side of going to the BIG 10 is to end up like Nebraska. ATM is different since they are located in Texas. For us moving to a northern conference that eliminates us playing in Texas would not be good for football. Wrestling would be amazing though...

Sep 9, 2013
You should probably just STFU after your posting history.

You're a complete laughingstock.
Not a chance. Laughter is the best medicine for your ills.

my posts are not actually anymore homerish or dumb than many others. After every football loss, one third posters here call for Gundy's head. Is my hoops thread "dumber" than that. And no you dont get a pass because this is an Oklahoma State board.

With the benefit of hindsight, yes the WVU hoops thread is laughable, but I wasnt the only one wrong. WVU was ranked 13th preseason by just about everyone. No one could have foreseen konate out for the year, esa ahmad back on drugs(well that may have been foreseeable), and derick culver suspended the entire 1st semester(still was 1st team all freshman).

Anyway, i intend to back when WVU plays Cowboys in baseball-win or lose.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Not a chance. Laughter is the best medicine for your ills.

my posts are not actually anymore homerish or dumb than many others. After every football loss, one third posters here call for Gundy's head. Is my hoops thread "dumber" than that. And no you dont get a pass because this is an Oklahoma State board.

With the benefit of hindsight, yes the WVU hoops thread is laughable, but I wasnt the only one wrong. WVU was ranked 13th preseason by just about everyone. No one could have foreseen konate out for the year, esa ahmad back on drugs(well that may have been foreseeable), and derick culver suspended the entire 1st semester(still was 1st team all freshman).

Anyway, i intend to back when WVU plays Cowboys in baseball-win or lose.
To me, the most homerish post @Nolaeer has made was a couple of years ago when he jumped WV over OSU in his final football power ranking even though we beat WV head to head, ended with the same record, and just crushed a top 10 team in a bowl game.

Part of what I liked about Shaggybevo was the input from various other schools on their site so I don't get too worked up when he gives a little perspective to the echo chamber.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Here is a semi-realistic future alignment I put together. In theory, consolidation of the conferences makes sense. If they want to keep increasing revenue then consolidating the bargaining power and having geographic realignment to minimize travel costs is a great way to do it.

How it gets accomplished is debatable and where this may not be the most realistic option. However, I think it is very plausible.

1552580043603.png

It makes a lot of sense that Rutgers could easily drop out and be replaced with ND. Elevating them was a dumb decision. However, getting BYU in is harder. It seems that despite their fanbase, there would be a lot of opposition to them. Plus, playing on sundays is still an issue. Finally, who would you drop?

In the end I forced them in because it made it easier to sort the teams into where I thought they would best fit.

Finally, every team only has 7 divisional games so there is plenty of space for keeping annual rivalries if you are in separate divisions. I evension something like 7 division games, 3 cross-division games, and 2 mid-major games.

Last edited:

osupsycho

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Here is a semi-realistic future alignment I put together. In theory, consolidation of the conferences makes sense. If they want to keep increasing revenue then consolidating the bargaining power and having geographic realignment to minimize travel costs is a great way to do it.

How it gets accomplished is debatable and where this may not be the most realistic option. However, I think it is very plausible.

View attachment 68802

It makes a lot of sense that Rutgers could easily drop out and be replaced with ND. Elevating them was a dumb decision. However, getting BYU in is harder. It seems that despite their fanbase, there would be a lot of opposition to them. Plus, playing on sundays is still an issue. Finally, who would you drop?

In the end I forced them in because it made it easier to sort the teams into where I thought they would best fit.

Finally, every team only has 7 divisional games so there is plenty of space for keeping annual rivalries if you are in separate divisions. I evension something like 7 division games, 3 cross-division games, and 2 mid-major games.
I like it, makes pretty good sense.... which is why it will never happen unfortunately...

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I like it, makes pretty good sense.... which is why it will never happen unfortunately...
Probably I feel like if you remove BYU and keep WF it is pretty realistic. However, I just don't know how the divisions would pan out then. I haven't been interested in giving it a try yet. I'll try sometime later when I'm bored.

Nov 8, 2013

View attachment 68802

I love ideas like this. Crazy and infeasible, but so straight forward at the same time. By having such crisp geographic alignment you keep many natural rivalries, but also end up with imbalanced divisions. You know Wisconsin would love this proposal - the Midwest division certainly looks weak compared to the Atlantic, Great Plains, Great Lakes, and Southern divisions. That could be balanced by good cross-division games as you mention. Could also add WF and Rutgers back in, and add 6 other programs such as Boise State, Navy, Army, or others I am not thinking about off the top of my head.