One Way to Strengthen the Big XII: Pac 12 Alliance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Aug 31, 2006
63 mi S. of Stillwater
Saban/Alabama don't get hammered for scheduling a weak opponent because they bury it deep in the season, along with other SEC schools. They are praised for opening the season with a tough opponent. It seems that in the SEC, they will play some conf games in the opening weeks and hide their weaker opponents later in the season when every other conference has tougher games that make the headlines.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Saban/Alabama don't get hammered for scheduling a weak opponent because they bury it deep in the season, along with other SEC schools. They are praised for opening the season with a tough opponent. It seems that in the SEC, they will play some conf games in the opening weeks and hide their weaker opponents later in the season when every other conference has tougher games that make the headlines.
It gives them a chance to heal from some of their battle wounds during the season.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
I highly doubt we will be getting too close with the PAC. They are WAY behind the other conferences in money distribution. When the next round of realignment starts here in 2-4 years we will likely be stealing several schools away from them.

However, other things could get in the way. For instance, we could start seeing conference mergers. My ultimate hope is a power 5 merger combined with geographic realignment into divisions.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Would be a terrible, terrible idea. Picking up TCU was a big enough mistake. Last thing we need to do is legitimize commuter schools to help their recruiting.
You do understand that it helps the Big 12's recruiting as a whole, correct? That would help us steal recruits from Fla. State, Florida, Georgia, Miami, etc.

Nov 8, 2013
The other thing Alabama gets away with is no true road games outside the conference. Virtually all of their "big" non conference games are neutral sites in the general footprint of the southeast ( I think Dallas is the farthest west). They get the rest at home. And even their bowl game is usually in the southeast (unless CFP or championship is at Rose Bowl).

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Coming from an Oklahoman, that is rich.
Well... I live in Dallas. Says it right there under my username. But the Okies on here knew that we had scheduled Oregon and Oregon State moving forward, so... not sure how we could be the ones that are behind here....

You do understand that it helps the Big 12's recruiting as a whole, correct? That would help us steal recruits from Fla. State, Florida, Georgia, Miami, etc.
This is not true at all. It would raise UCF’s profile and allow them to get some of those recruits... and it would just make things more difficult for OSU. Hate to break it to you, but we won’t be competing with those schools for recruits. We want to compete with South Carolina, the Mississippi schools, etc. So a game in FL/GA every other year would probably help with that. But raising UCF’s profile to be able to legitimately play for national titles would be bad for us. Just like adding TCU has been bad for us.

Sep 9, 2013
WVU is on east coast, which is where the tv sets are. Why would anyone want to play pac 12 teams no one, even west coast people, care about?

WVU has home and homes series upcoming with penn state, alabama, VT, as well as games with rivals Pitt and maryland. Makes no sense for WVU to do this. WVU schedules tough ooc every year. any team can do it.

This year we have 3 tough games. @ Mizzou, NC state home, and one of the scarier 1aa teams(which i realize should be a win).
Last year WVU had Tenn, NC state and a 1aa team.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
WVU is on east coast, which is where the tv sets are. Why would anyone want to play pac 12 teams no one, even west coast people, care about?

WVU has home and homes series upcoming with penn state, alabama, VT, as well as games with rivals Pitt and maryland. Makes no sense for WVU to do this. WVU schedules tough ooc every year. any team can do it.

This year we have 3 tough games. @ Mizzou, NC state home, and one of the scarier 1aa teams(which i realize should be a win).
Last year WVU had Tenn, NC state and a 1aa team.
Probably because you could have 5% of California tuned into a game and out number the entire state of West Virginia.

Sep 9, 2013
Probably because you could have 5% of California tuned into a game and out number the entire state of West Virginia.
yeah, except WVU has good eastern tv ratings and does very well. WVU coverage isnt limited to wva, which btw has more ppl than nebraska.

WVU isnt going to give up home and home series with bama, lsu, auburn, miss state penn state, VT, pitt, and maryland for teams on the other coast. wont happen. And no, the big 12 cant make them.

WVU now officially refers to Texas with the Horns down:
1552009234915.png

Last edited:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I didn't realize so few people lived in West Virginia. There's almost more people in the OKC metro than there are in all of WV lol. Looks like WV is the least populated Big 12 state by at least a million people, what a joke.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I didn't realize so few people lived in West Virginia. There's almost more people in the OKC metro than there are in all of WV lol. Looks like WV is the least populated Big 12 state by at least a million people, what a joke.
WTF, Phil?!
Why do you have to be like that?

West Virginia is a small state. And many people in the USofA give Oklahoma the same kind of respect you're giving WVa.

Don't be that guy.