One Way to Strengthen the Big XII: Pac 12 Alliance

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I like the idea of playing west coast teams and having them come to Stillwater.

The article quotes that the two conferences can't match up with 3 games. So make it two and leave one game open for patsies or another Power 5 team.

That way Texas gets to schedule aTm (if the Aggies stop being pussies about it and agree to a game with UT), ou could possibly get a game against Nebraska for old times sake and OSU could schedule and SEC opponent or even Ohio State (I doubt Gundy would want to schedule a tough opponent here).

Gundy would have to show his coaching skills no longer having Troy, Missouri State and Florida International no longer on the boring non-conference schedule. Gundy has been living off of patsies to pad his winning record for way too long.

Plus, having the exposure to the left coast also opens up some big recruiting territory. Yet, I dont see it taking over the Texas territory for actual recruits, but it does give the OSU brand more national attention.

I'd love to see USC, UCLA and Oregon coming into Stillwater or being able to go back to LA or the Pacific Northwest for some road trips.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Locking up all non-conference games simply isn't going to happen.

But the idea of a more moderate plan near the end of the article makes a lot of sense. Set up a schedule where all teams in the two conferences agree to one non-con game with the other conference each year. But then let the exact matchups be dictated, say, 6 months in advance rather than 3 or 4 years in advance. The conferences (and perhaps to some extent the schools) could evaluate at that point which matchups make the most sense.

If it looks like OSU may have a Top 10 team, then you can give us someone who you expect to be ranked that year. It could provide a significant boost to a 1-loss Big XII champ trying to make it into the playoff. Of course you could end up with a Big XII winner who would have been undefeated or only had one loss under the existing system, but instead has an extra loss. However, in hindsight, I'm sure those 2014 TCU and Baylor teams would love to go back and add Oregon or UCLA or Stanford to their non-conference schedule.

It could of course make it more difficult to become bowl eligible in down years, but you get the benefit of an interesting game in those years, which half the time would be at home. Instead of staying home when we play Louisiana Tech, I think people would show up to see us host Oregon State or Arizona.

Aug 7, 2006
We already have series with Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona State and Arkansas in the near future, plus the return game in Boise. Hopefully Western Illinois in 2020 is the last FCS school we schedule and we stick to G5 schools as the "cupcakes". I'm fine with the 2 G5/1 P5 schedule setup, but I'd like to schedule more MW and AAC games.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

The article quotes that the two conferences can't match up with 3 games. So make it two and leave one game open for patsies or another Power 5 team.

That way Texas gets to schedule aTm (if the Aggies stop being pussies about it and agree to a game with UT), ou could possibly get a game against Nebraska for old times sake and OSU could schedule and SEC opponent or even Ohio State (I doubt Gundy would want to schedule a tough opponent here).

Gundy would have to show his coaching skills no longer having Troy, Missouri State and Florida International no longer on the boring non-conference schedule. Gundy has been living off of patsies to pad his winning record for way too long.

Plus, having the exposure to the left coast also opens up some big recruiting territory. Yet, I dont see it taking over the Texas territory for actual recruits, but it does give the OSU brand more national attention.

I'd love to see USC, UCLA and Oregon coming into Stillwater or being able to go back to LA or the Pacific Northwest for some road trips.
You do remember all the scheduling fiasco we had to deal with when conference realignment happened. Many of those teams were because we scrambled to replace Clemson and others. Besides. You should stop acting like we are the only ones who schedule patsies. SEC teams do it also.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
You do remember all the scheduling fiasco we had to deal with when conference realignment happened. Many of those teams were because we scrambled to replace Clemson and others. Besides. You should stop acting like we are the only ones who schedule patsies. SEC teams do it also exclusively.

fixed

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
improved schedules for all involved. broaden the pac12 network to make it a pac/big12 network, hopefully, spinning off the lhn. it makes perfect sense to broaden the tv footprint of that network and improved schedules in both football and hoops for both conferences. an alliance not a merger.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
So without looking do all the power five conferences play 9 conference games? Cause I think that the big 12 is the only one without expending any effort. And then you limit your east coast recruiting exponentially. I'm 100% against this.

Nov 8, 2013
Absolutely. For example - In 2018, Alabama had AT HOME OOC games with Arkansas State, Louisiana, and the Citadel (2018). Next year, Alabama will have AT HOME OOC games with New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. Great coaching by Nick Saban there. Does he get the abuse Gundy does for scheduling strategy? Hardly. Our "1 P5/2 G5" scheduling strategy is just fine once we eliminate the FCS games that spiked after conference realignment. If we can get everyone shifted to a "P5+" (including Notre Dame, Boise State, etc.) strategy, then fine, let's do it too. But we shouldn't be complaining like we're the only ones.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Absolutely. For example - In 2018, Alabama had AT HOME OOC games with Arkansas State, Louisiana, and the Citadel (2018). Next year, Alabama will have AT HOME OOC games with New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. Great coaching by Nick Saban there. Does he get the abuse Gundy does for scheduling strategy? Hardly. Our "1 P5/2 G5" scheduling strategy is just fine once we eliminate the FCS games that spiked after conference realignment. If we can get everyone shifted to a "P5+" (including Notre Dame, Boise State, etc.) strategy, then fine, let's do it too. But we shouldn't be complaining like we're the only ones.
This. Here's the number of P5 opponents each SEC team will play next year;

8 - Tennessee, Arkansas
9 - Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Miss St., Missouri, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Vandy
10 - Florida, Georgia, South Carolina

Big 12:

9 - Baylor,
10 - ISU, KU, KSU, OU, OSU, TCU, UT, Tech
11 - WVU

It's like people magically forget that the SEC replaces a conference game with an FCS opponent.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis

God, I would love to play Oregon. That would be fun.

Edit: Yes, I know about the Holiday Bowl. I'm talking regular season.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
You do remember all the scheduling fiasco we had to deal with when conference realignment happened. Many of those teams were because we scrambled to replace Clemson and others. Besides. You should stop acting like we are the only ones who schedule patsies. SEC teams do it also.

They do it during conference season to give themselves a break!