OL blocking, or lack of (Part 2)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I went ahead and cut some of the first series... (I included the Sinor FUBAR, to just show how ridiclous it was). And it's not just Keyes, it's the whole line. Assignments are missed, pulling when it makes NO sense to pull and just a lack of caring IMO.

Part I

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I went ahead and cut some of the first series... (I included the Sinor FUBAR, to just show how ridiclous it was). And it's not just Keyes, it's the whole line. Assignments are missed, pulling when it makes NO sense to pull and just a lack of caring IMO.

Park I
Man, that's horrific.

Also noticeable is that Cornelius still holds onto the ball waaaayyyy too long. It literally never comes out on his first read. This is not going to change, at all. I've said it all season & I'll say it again: he's Trevor Simien 2.0.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Check out this crap. Gundy said the run blocking was decent. Then he said Iowa State had played Texas and Mississippi State....too many vodka smoothies again? Same ol BS in the weekly press conference. And of course, nothing wrong with Corndog.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkfFBGHlUf0

Aug 16, 2012
I've stopped hoping that the coaches will realize anything.
I completely concur. I do not think Gundy is trying to lose but it comes back to the mind set of, "If we keep at it, eventually they will get it". Stupid. He is stuck in a paradigm drawing only on what he knows. If the O-line cannot sustain a block, how difficult is it to draw up plays that do not take 3, 4, 5 or more seconds to develop. That is how Keenum killed us a couple years ago, why we can never defense TTU and now ISU. Mix it up, do not be predictable, and damnit, put in a hot pass on a WR slant or a TE release where there is a huge hole in the middle of the field. Will it be a touchdown? Probably not, but it will be positive yards instead of what we have been seeing. We mixed them in with Weeden but got away from it with Rudolph. Need the ball on a pass play to be on its way in under three steps, if not a single step. Unsettling thing is, as bad as the O-line is, our secondary is worse.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Yep, he is bad. His first step is terrible and way to slow to be playing a pulling guard. They have him pulling constantly to pick up the edge but he doesn't seem to even know where he is at most of those snaps.

Corn-dog does hold it way to long but he is always going for the home run ball. With that line I would be boot legging every play.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I do not think Gundy is trying to lose but it comes back to the mind set of, "If we keep at it, eventually they will get it".
I think this is exactly what's going on. Especially after each week's press conference. He thinks if he keeps banging his head against the brick wall, eventually he will break through. He doesn't even consider a strategy to offset the weaknesses, his plan is to try to fix the weaknesses, and if he can't fix the weaknesses, he's willing to just chalk it up as a rebuilding year. That mindset has cost us games and will cost us more games this season.
Instead of head banging into the brick wall, he needs to go around the wall. It's like the toll booth scene in Blazing Saddles.

Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I think this is exactly what's going on. Especially after each week's press conference. He thinks if he keeps banging his head against the brick wall, eventually he will break through. He doesn't even consider a strategy to offset the weaknesses, his plan is to try to fix the weaknesses, and if he can't fix the weaknesses, he's willing to just chalk it up as a rebuilding year. That mindset has cost us games and will cost us more games this season.
Instead of head banging into the brick wall, he needs to go around the wall. It's like the toll booth scene in Blazing Saddles.
CAD27A89-380A-4F96-9DB2-9C17BC30EB24.gif

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
It’s his massive Ego. He has shown that intelligence is secondary to his arrogance.

Dec 21, 2008
I am absolutely sick of Sinor. Between his faux Hesiman campaign and having more screw ups the past 2 years than any other punter in our history and "missing" a game according to HCMG when he supposedly could've kicked? Hoping this Aussie is the answer. Almost feels like we are building a lot of momentum for next year