Oklahoman cuts OSU reporter position

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hmm, there seems more to the story than being let on so far. Freezes do not happen overnight. Usually when a pending freeze does occur, management and HR set a protocol in place where approval is required before an offer is extended.

Then there is this:
Williams had been working at the Post-Star in Glen Falls, New York, when The Oklahoman reached out a couple of months ago. He quit the Post-Star before getting an actual job offer, but felt optimistic that an offer was coming. He wanted to take a short break back home in Minnesota with family and friends before embarking on the next chapter of his career.
This seems to indicate something may have come up in his background check after offering him the job. I could be wrong.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Hmm, there seems more to the story than being let on so far. Freezes do not happen overnight. Usually when a pending freeze does occur, management and HR set a protocol in place where approval is required before an offer is extended.

Then there is this:

This seems to indicate something may have come up in his background check after offering him the job. I could be wrong.
Just from that excerpt, it doesn’t look like he was officially offered the position at all.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX

Then there is this:

That's not how it reads at all... looks like the Oklahoman offered, he accepted, asked for a month before starting due to the big move, and then since he hadn't officially started, this hiring freeze caused the Oklahoman to rescind their offer.

The sports editor wouldn't have congratulated him if there wasn't a real offer.

Also... this is just awesome news. Is there a writer dedicated just to OSU at the @TulsaWorld even? Or is it a shared gig?

OSU isn't going to get any coverage at all this season... it's not a good situation.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just from that excerpt, it doesn’t look like he was officially offered the position at all.
If you read the whole article it makes clear that he was officially offered, but there was a lot of time between accepting and starting... so he's not officially an employee, meaning a hiring freeze would certainly keep him from being hired.

Regardless it's really, really bad for OSU.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma

Then there is this:

Hmmm....seems unfair to suggest this guy has dirt in his past, when media companies are shrinking departments and laying people off left and right. I work in a related field and it's freaking brutal out here, I'm looking for a way out because I'm seeing layoffs, closures, hiring and wage freezes all around me. Magazines and newspapers are shutting down all over the place.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
If you read the whole article it makes clear that he was officially offered, but there was a lot of time between accepting and starting... so he's not officially an employee, meaning a hiring freeze would certainly keep him from being hired.

Regardless it's really, really bad for OSU.
The article also mentions that the Oklahoman changed ownership in the last two months so that may have affected why they did the freeze.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
That's not how it reads at all... looks like the Oklahoman offered, he accepted, asked for a month before starting due to the big move, and then since he hadn't officially started, this hiring freeze caused the Oklahoman to rescind their offer.

The sports editor wouldn't have congratulated him if there wasn't a real offer.

Also... this is just awesome news. Is there a writer dedicated just to OSU at the @TulsaWorld even? Or is it a shared gig?

OSU isn't going to get any coverage at all this season... it's not a good situation.
I just heard an interview with the new guy covering OSU for the Tulsa World the other day on the Sports Animal on my way home from work. So yes, the Tulsa World has a guy. Just got hired. I believe he said he was from Indiana.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I just heard an interview with the new guy covering OSU for the Tulsa World the other day on the Sports Animal on my way home from work. So yes, the Tulsa World has a guy. Just got hired. I believe he said he was from Indiana.
Really sucks that the OSU beat writer for both the Oklahoman and the World turns over every year. Doesn't allow them to build relationships, so we never get any good info.

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I am not saying the kid is dirty or dirt was found. It could have been something in the contract that the Oklahoman reneged on at the last minute. What I am saying is companies plan in advance for freezes, requiring special protocol to hire.

Last edited:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Folks freezes occur, which usually are accompanied by RIF if things are really bad. I have never known a company to rescind a job due to a freeze since it is planned in advance. Smart companies implement a special protocol for hiring during that period, requiring a department to provide justification. Using a freeze as an excuse could easily open a company to a lawsuit.

I am not saying the kid is dirty or dirt was found. It could have been something in the contract that the Oklahoman reneged on at the last minute. What I am saying is companies plan way in advance for freezes, requiring special protocol to hire.
Except that the company only had the Oklahoman for less than three months so they would not have been able to have any long term plans like this. They just bought them.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Per his Twitter account Scott Wright is still covering OSU for the DOK, I guess this guy was 2nd writer

Nov 30, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Freezes occur, and people are offered jobs and then they are rescinded. I have never known a company to rescind a job due to a freeze since they most of the time accompany a RIF. Using this as an excuse opens you to a lawsuit.
Except that the company only had the Oklahoman for less than three months so they would not have been able to have any long term plans like this. They just bought them.
Yes I saw your post.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Then there is this:

Hmmm....seems unfair to suggest this guy has dirt in his past, when media companies are shrinking departments and laying people off left and right. I work in a related field and it's freaking brutal out here, I'm looking for a way out because I'm seeing layoffs, closures, hiring and wage freezes all around me. Magazines and newspapers are shutting down all over the place.
Learn to code........ Lol

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk