Oklahoma teachers planning to strike

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Oklahoma teachers planning a statewide strike

by Burt Mummolo
Friday, March 2nd 2018

Oklahoma teachers planning a statewide strike (KTUL)
AA
MOORE, Okla. (KTUL) — Oklahoma teachers are fed up with state lawmakers. A public school teacher in Stillwater created the Facebook group "Oklahoma Teacher Walkout - The Time is Now!"two days ago, and it has already gained more than 20,000 members.

Today, teachers gathered in Moore to discuss the possible statewide strike.

"Frustration levels are high, so a strike is not a touchy word anymore," said Molly Jaynes, a teacher in Oklahoma City.
"'Strike' is a big word, but I think it's necessary for Oklahoma," said Chloe Prochaska, a teacher in Mustang.

"We are to the point where we have no other option," said Heather Reed, a teacher in Oklahoma City.
Fed up with a legislature seemingly mired in quicksand, teachers from Oklahoma City, Mustang and Tulsa, just to name a few, are laying the groundwork for a statewide strike.
"I don't think we have a choice. How long can we keep sicking out?" said Tulsa teacher Larry Cagle.
"I think we have surpassed the point of conversations, and I don't think that there's anything the legislators have provided us recently to give us any sort of hope that they're going to take actual actions this time," said Jaynes.
As for when it might take place?
"If we do it the first week of April, that would be during standardized state testing, which would be a great time to say, 'Hey, we're going on strike, and we're not going to give these tests,'" said Prochaska.
One test organizers will face is ensuring that there's enough participation in order to make a politically strong statement.
"I know of one group that has, it started a couple days ago, and it had a couple hundred and now it has over 20,000, so this is definitely something that seems like it's going to happen," said Jaynes.
A storm is on the horizon, with teachers already bracing for possible repercussions.
"If we strike, I double dare you to fire us. We'll just go to Texas; they're looking for new teachers," said Cagle.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Good luck with that. Oklahoma is already at a shortage. That wouldn't be solved in any way at all by firing teachers who are fighting for a better deal. Between the two, the teachers would be the ones doing something for the betterment of the students.

As a teacher, I have no intention of striking, but I find it funny how people expect these teachers to do more and more with less and less. Loyalty to their communities and children is being spat on by this state.

For what exactly would you fire them? What do they want? A competitive wage? Not like they are suddenly to be cruising up to the job in a Bentley after a mere $5000 raise or whatever.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
How much sympathy will these teachers get when parents have to miss work to watch their own children?

NONE
From what I've seen on FB, there are groups of teachers trying to take care of this because a bigger concern is the kids that don't have food outside of school. This isn't just a bunch of teachers getting upset and throwing a fit on their own accord. The OEA has been working with district supers to plan it out. They're trying to make as big of a statement as they can make to the legislature while at the same time trying to not let the kids suffer because of it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Per some reading I did last night, the Teachers Unions in OKC and Tulsa met with School Administration leaders to discuss a state wide strike and said late last night that the teachers were given the full support of the School Admin to go on strike and would have full support of the Admin to do so

This is definitely not about Admin vs Teachers

I also read the teachers were looking at 2 options.

Option 1. Go on Spring Break and do not come back, that will give the legislature 2 weeks to negotiate with teachers before state testing starts

Nuclear Option. Go on Strike the week of state testing (first week of April) and skip state testing which will ensure that Oklahoma will get no Federal Funding for education

Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
My sister is the principal of a school in Leflore county where none of the teachers belong to a union. I wonder how they will handle it and if she will can all of them.

I guess I need to call her tonight.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Per some reading I did last night, the Teachers Unions in OKC and Tulsa met with School Administration leaders to discuss a state wide strike and said late last night that the teachers were given the full support of the School Admin to go on strike and would have full support of the Admin to do so

This is definitely not about Admin vs Teachers

I also read the teachers were looking at 2 options.

Option 1. Go on Spring Break and do not come back, that will give the legislature 2 weeks to negotiate with teachers before state testing starts

Nuclear Option. Go on Strike the week of state testing (first week of April) and skip state testing which will ensure that Oklahoma will get no Federal Funding for education
The last update I saw is that they've decided a date which will be announced soon but it WON'T be the date during testing.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
My sister is the principal of a school in Leflore county where none of the teachers belong to a union. I wonder how they will handle it and if she will can all of them.

I guess I need to call her tonight.
Odd... I thought pretty much every teacher in Okla is a member of OEA.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Maybe the legislature will finally get off their ass and restructure our top heavy administration to find some more money to give to the teachers. I'm sure it won't be enough but it's by far the best first step we have available. It's almost silly to even consider anything else until that is done. Then if we still have a ways to go we can discuss other options to get teachers to where people think they should be.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Hahaha, I was going to post something intelligent, but you are so f'ed in the head and bitter about the short comings in your life that any intelligent post would go straight over you head.
You clearly didn’t read the original post