Oklahoma State to open football season on Thursday for third time in four seasons

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

The Cowboys' 2018 opener against Missouri State will come on Thursday, Aug. 30 at 7 p.m., the Big 12 announced on Thursday. It's the third time in four years (2015 at Central Michigan, 2017 vs. Tulsa) that the Cowboys have begun their season on the Thursday before the opening weekend of college football.

Like the last two instances, this move will provide a better television slot for the Cowboys. The game against Missouri State, an FCS opponent, will be on FS1.

In other scheduling news, Oklahoma State's marquee nonconference game against Boise State on Sept. 15 will be a 2:30 p.m. kickoff in Boone Pickens Stadium. That game will be on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.
Link

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Oklahoma State has these games set:
Thursday, Aug. 30 Missouri State @ OSU 7:00 pm (FS1)
Sept. 8 South Alabama at OSU 7:00 pm (FSN)
Sept. 15 Boise State @ OSU 2:30 pm (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU)

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Clearly this isn't new and we are all accustomed to debating the merits of Thursday games, but I'm curious what favors the Big 12 does for OSU in return. Supposedly, OSU agreeing to play on Thursday really helped the conference, which is contractually obligated to play 4 Thursday games this season. OSU has hosted more than our share of the undesirable time slots and it's not clear, at least to me, what the conference has done to repay the school.

We have beat this issue to death in the past so I don't want to start another round of that dialogue, but I am curious if anyone knows anything the Big 12 has done to repay OSU (e.g. favorable time slots later).

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Clearly this isn't new and we are all accustomed to debating the merits of Thursday games, but I'm curious what favors the Big 12 does for OSU in return. Supposedly, OSU agreeing to play on Thursday really helped the conference, which is contractually obligated to play 4 Thursday games this season. OSU has hosted more than our share of the undesirable time slots and it's not clear, at least to me, what the conference has done to repay the school.

We have beat this issue to death in the past so I don't want to start another round of that dialogue, but I am curious if anyone knows anything the Big 12 has done to repay OSU (e.g. favorable time slots later).
They've televised old OSU vs. Texas games on Longhorn Network (only our losses).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Oklahoma State has these games set:
Thursday, Aug. 30 Missouri State @ OSU 7:00 pm (FS1)
Sept. 8 South Alabama at OSU 7:00 pm (FSN)
Sept. 15 Boise State @ OSU 2:30 pm (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU)
7pm home games have been in short supply lately. I will take a Thursday night game over a 102 degree 2:30 game any-day. Way more fun environment and much more comfortable for the fans. To be honest I'm concerned with the weather on 9/15 still being a fatigue factor for our fans. I'd rather see all September games at the later time slot. September in Oklahoma is unpredictable. Also, I bet the decision on the night games may have something to do with the new Jumbotron which will face directly into the setting sun during day games and that won't be an issue at night. Should be a great addition to gamedays for those with tickets.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
I love starting the season on a Thursday, but the non-conference games against South Alabama, Missouri State, McNeese State, Central Michigan, and Western Illinois - those have to stop. I do like the Tulsa, Boise State, Oregon State, and Arizona State games though. Arkansas makes a ton of sense. Play A&M in Dallas.

I loved going to Dallas to see OSU vs. defending champions Florida State in week 1 of 2014. Despite the longer drive and the narrow loss, that's still better than smashing Missouri State at home.