Oklahoma State Moving Up in Academic Rankings

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Without some major investment university wide, including higher salaries for research faculty, I don't see us jumping 30 or 40 spots any time in the foreseeable future. We're 10th in the Big 12 in average faculty salary and far down the rankings among high tier research institutions. We're probably doing pretty well given our fiscal realities.
My oldest started engineering in 2015 and I went with her to help move and look around. I went into the physics building and was just disappointed. It hadn't changed since the 80's. There were some papers hanging in a display case that were dated from ten years earlier. Just sad. I'm proud of the engineering program, there's lots to be proud of. Yet, we got to get physics back on the ground. No way we can attract Einstein with that crap.

Aug 2, 2011
My oldest started engineering in 2015 and I went with her to help move and look around. I went into the physics building and was just disappointed. It hadn't changed since the 80's. There were some papers hanging in a display case that were dated from ten years earlier. Just sad. I'm proud of the engineering program, there's lots to be proud of. Yet, we got to get physics back on the ground. No way we can attract Einstein with that crap.
I guess that means Physical Sciences?

Yes its an old building
But i thought those buildings were going to undergo rennovations?

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I guess that means Physical Sciences?

Yes its an old building
But i thought those buildings were going to undergo rennovations?
This was 2015 last time I went in. For all I know Cambridge opened up an extension and rebuilt the building. Here is where the memory gets hazy. Isn't the physical sciences building the one with different species of reptiles on display? It seems either the physics department was at opposite end or in another building entirely.
Regardless I went and looked it up. I'm impressed with the web site and there's very cool programs going on. Maybe Einstein will come and check it out. We even have people at CERN which is cool in itself. We have research into new kinds of quarks. That's something that Stanford specializes in. Might have to go see if they updated the building too.

http://physics.okstate.edu

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
This was 2015 last time I went in. For all I know Cambridge opened up an extension and rebuilt the building. Here is where the memory gets hazy. Isn't the physical sciences building the one with different species of reptiles on display? It seems either the physics department was at opposite end or in another building entirely.
Regardless I went and looked it up. I'm impressed with the web site and there's very cool programs going on. Maybe Einstein will come and check it out. We even have people at CERN which is cool in itself. We have research into new kinds of quarks. That's something that Stanford specializes in. Might have to go see if they updated the building too.

http://physics.okstate.edu
The reptiles are in one of the Life Science buildings. The physical sciences building has not been meaningfully renovated yet. It and Morrill are still in active competition for worst buildings on campus, with Paul Miller trailing in a distinct but distant 3rd (imo). Gundersen is in pretty bad shape as well, but it is my understanding that they plan to destroy that building.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
The reptiles are in one of the Life Science buildings. The physical sciences building has not been meaningfully renovated yet. It and Morrill are still in active competition for worst buildings on campus, with Paul Miller trailing in a distinct but distant 3rd (imo). Gundersen is in pretty bad shape as well, but it is my understanding that they plan to destroy that building.
They have to do something to renovate Morrill. It's falling apart but if they try to knock it down, I'll be laying in front of the bulldozers.