Oklahoma State Cowboys vs. Tulsa Golden Hurricane

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
The negativity on this thread was really bad.

Guys...this is going to happen. Yes, it was a terrible loss, but I think the LSU game really spoiled you all and is making you expect more than this team is capable of, at the moment. We might go .500, and that is *perfectly fine*. Have some freakin’ patience.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
The negativity on this thread was really bad.

Guys...this is going to happen. Yes, it was a terrible loss, but I think the LSU game really spoiled you all and is making you expect more than this team is capable of, at the moment. We might go .500, and that is *perfectly fine*. Have some freakin’ patience.
really? you don't care for the negativity, huh? interesting...........

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
My expectations for basketball are different, given the current situation.

Coach Boynton: Year 2

Coach Gundy: Year 14

Big difference there, buddy.
playing crappy is playing crappy whether it's year 2 or 14. i figured you would have the same standards for all OSU sports.......

Oct 30, 2007
My expectations for basketball are different, given the current situation.

Coach Boynton: Year 2

Coach Gundy: Year 14

Big difference there, buddy.
This is a good point. Coach Boynton is still playing with the hand he's been dealt. We lost 3 starters, and 4 of our top 5 scorers off of an NIT team that went sub .500 in league play last year. We looked really good against Memphis & LSU, but this could still end up being a really difficult year.

Coach Boynton and his staff proved last year that they can optimize the talent they have. They've been killing it on the recruiting trail. They just signed one of our highest ranked classes ever. I'm excited to see where this program can go with that infusion of talent.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
This is a good point. Coach Boynton is still playing with the hand he's been dealt. We lost 3 starters, and 4 of our top 5 scorers off of an NIT team that went sub .500 in league play last year. We looked really good against Memphis & LSU, but this could still end up being a really difficult year.

Coach Boynton and his staff proved last year that they can optimize the talent they have. They've been killing it on the recruiting trail. They just signed one of our highest ranked classes ever. I'm excited to see where this program can go with that infusion of talent.
Exactly. Boynton is building a very strong base. We have to give him at least four years to truly develop the players and have a team ready to start getting into the tournament every year, that type of thing. But complaining about the team *now* is not productive, and very unrealistic.

Mar 27, 2008
Which team is really us this year? Is it the team that beat ranked LSU or is it the team that played last night and lost to Tulsa? After that LSU game I was like there is no way this team finishes last in the Big12. But after watching last night, last in the Big12 looked very real.

Also, here is a hypothetical question to maybe help me gain some perspective about this season. Does Dziagwa as a current starter this year, even start for us next year as a senior?

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
playing crappy is playing crappy whether it's year 2 or 14. i figured you would have the same standards for all OSU sports.......
Yeah, no, it's not. Coach Boynton needs time to build the team, develop the players, establish a particular identity for the team to follow. That doesn't happen overnight.

Gundy, on the other hand, has already been through 2-3 "development cycles" already. And we're still getting the Camping World/Liberty/Cheez-It Bowl.

Cro, your posts, generally speaking, are pure garbage can material that you rummage for. I have different expectations for different teams, by taking into consideration where they are at any given moment. It's that simple, and if it's difficult for you to comprehend that approach, well, look into a mirror and ask it why.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Which team is really us this year? Is it the team that beat ranked LSU or is it the team that played last night and lost to Tulsa? After that LSU game I was like there is no way this team finishes last in the Big12. But after watching last night, last in the Big12 looked very real.

Also, here is a hypothetical question to maybe help me gain some perspective about this season. Does Dziagwa as a current starter this year, even start for us next year as a senior?
First question...we should expect terrible games like last night's to happen, regardless of opponent. Have we already forgotten about the Charlotte debacle? Someone mentioned how we get up for the good teams, play down to the bad ones. This is true, I guess? But the same could be said for LSU against us, right?

Second question...Dziagwa definitely shouldn't start next year. He shouldn't be starting this year, either. Cunningham should. Dziagwa is a liability in every facet of the game except three point shooting.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Also...you guys want to talk about ball-handling? Lindy Waters was extremely terrible last season (haven't seen too much from him this season, in that department).

I would like to see Coach Boynton start lineups based on the best matchups, with exception to Cam McGriff, who should start every single game. I also think Likekele should start every game for experience next season. As for the other three spots, they should go to players who would be perceived to match up well with the other team's players.

Is the other team big? Put in Kentrevious Jones and Yor Anei together.

Small? Weathers, Cunningham, Likekele, Waters, Cam.

So on and so forth. But I doubt this will happen because of the risk of damaging one's ego.

Mar 27, 2008
First question...we should expect terrible games like last night's to happen, regardless of opponent. Have we already forgotten about the Charlotte debacle? Someone mentioned how we get up for the good teams, play down to the bad ones. This is true, I guess? But the same could be said for LSU against us, right?

Second question...Dziagwa definitely shouldn't start next year. He shouldn't be starting this year, either. Cunningham should. Dziagwa is a liability in every facet of the game except three point shooting.
That really should put this season (and our program) into perspective for some people. Dziagwa a starter this season, won't start next season as a senior.

Sep 23, 2010
Tulsa in Tulsa is not an easy game. Houston in GIA is going to be a major chore....they are tough and they are good. Nebraska has a nice team. These team's going to take it's lumps for sure.

Dziagwa is just not a heavy minute player at this level. I agree with the others. God didn't give him the footspeed. He's also a poor ballhandler. I know Weathers had his issues and Cunningham was hurt at the start of the season. But we need to start our best players and begin to build our team. I hope Jones is good enough to crack our top 7. Our problem is we don't have a reliable back up to Yor. Yor has actually stepped in nicely. Based on the talent I see, Calloo really needs to work his way as his back up, but he looked major league lost in the first handful of games. Jones and DuMuth don't appear to be ready for this level.

My thought for playing is....
Weathers
Cunningham
Waters
McGriff
Yor

Use Likekele and Jones (if he's better than Dziagwa) as subs for guards.
Bump Waters to the 4 when McGriff needs a break
Calloo (or whichever next freshman emerges) as back up 5 minutes.

Weathers bonehead decision really screwed the pooch on building this team this way from the start. Hopefully, we start moving this direction.

We have 6 current guys I feel comfortable playing in a Big 12 game. Hopefully Jones makes it 7, and then we some how figure who our back up big will be.

I still like the development of the program Boynton is performing.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
That really should put this season (and our program) into perspective for some people. Dziagwa a starter this season, won't start next season as a senior.
Especially with Marcus Watson coming in? Avery Anderson?!?!?! Dziagwa's done after this season. Even Keylan Boone, for crying out loud.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Losing to TU is embarrassing. It’s like losing to east popcorn state. I don’t care if they have a senior team with the best players in their conference. We should have enough talent to beat them

Oct 12, 2006
Negativity stems from lack of success. You can only support losses like this so long. Losing to TU is a disgrace or maybe we should join their AAC. Next year we could feel the same humility from them in a sport we once were proud of called football.

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Yeah, no, it's not. Coach Boynton needs time to build the team, develop the players, establish a particular identity for the team to follow. That doesn't happen overnight.

Gundy, on the other hand, has already been through 2-3 "development cycles" already. And we're still getting the Camping World/Liberty/Cheez-It Bowl.

Cro, your posts, generally speaking, are pure garbage can material that you rummage for. I have different expectations for different teams, by taking into consideration where they are at any given moment. It's that simple, and if it's difficult for you to comprehend that approach, well, look into a mirror and ask it why.
very dramatic, tweener..... i personally don't think we should ever lose to Tulsa in any sport. and, I think we should always have a basketball team that can shoot better than 50% from the f'n free throw line........... you can be cool w/ it though and spin away, it's a free country......

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
This team is mostly freshmen and it shows. When the "experienced" players are not on the floor the offense turns into back yard hoops with the freshmen trying to figure out where they should go. Calloo, Demuth, Big Kent haven't figured out how to score in our offense, they look lost at times.
Yor-is going to be great with time
Weathers-needs to slow down a bit, the potential is there but those turnovers are hurting us, and then he usually follows one up with a foul..double whammy
Dizzy-wants to be leader but doesn't have the game look for his minutes to be cut when jones is available.
McGriff-When he's not in the game we look terrible. Teams are going to attack him to get him in foul trouble. He has to avoid those cheap ones at ALL COSTS because when he's not in the game our chance of winning goes down....big time. It's cool to take a charge and all but not at the risk of losing the game.
Waters-Solid as usual, I see where some gave him a hard time for his ball handling last year. Well, LY he was forced into the point guard role. It's obviously not his primary position.
Cunningham needs to start over Ice, but Ice has a good game just needs some experience.
FREE THROWS

I told my friend last year that this particular season would be HCMB most challenging season, having lost a lot of seniors. So far the prediction has proven to be correct. There is so much to be hopeful for though, the future definitely looks bright.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Cro, your posts, generally speaking, are pure garbage can material that you rummage for
Cro...defends to the hilt a 14 year coach after a 6/6 season, defense still sucks, offense still vanilla, played a walk-on at QB all year (while our "future" got zero reps), players leaving left and right, crap bowl that no body is going to attend. Threatened the media for asking questions, insults the generation he is trying to coach, blames liberals for most of what is wrong in the world while most of the players and their families are more than likely liberals, can't seem to remembers his players names and doesn't seem to care their future. All while raking in 5 million dollars.....but 10 wins you know.
Rips a second year coach who has been EVERYWHERE selling his program. Had a good first year and should have made the tournament. Lost a bunch of key players but had a really good recruiting class. Has one of the if not THE best recruiting class ever at OSU coming in next year. Is open on social media about the success and failure and what it's going to take to get better. Says stuff like "Oklahoma basketball is not going to take a back seat to anybody". Players obviously love playing for him.....but his team lost to Tulsa, at Tulsa, so he sucks?

Cro

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Cro...defends to the hilt a 14 year coach after a 6/6 season, defense still sucks, offense still vanilla, played a walk-on at QB all year (while our "future" got zero reps), players leaving left and right, crap bowl that no body is going to attend. Threatened the media for asking questions, insults the generation he is trying to coach, blames liberals for most of what is wrong in the world while most of the players and their families are more than likely liberals, can't seem to remembers his players names and doesn't seem to care their future. All while raking in 5 million dollars.....but 10 wins you know.
Rips a second year coach who has been EVERYWHERE selling his program. Had a good first year and should have made the tournament. Lost a bunch of key players but had a really good recruiting class. Has one of the if not THE best recruiting class ever at OSU coming in next year. Is open on social media about the success and failure and what it's going to take to get better. Says stuff like "Oklahoma basketball is not going to take a back seat to anybody". Players obviously love playing for him.....but his team lost to Tulsa, at Tulsa, so he sucks?
go find the post(s) where I've defended Gundy "to the hilt"........... and after you've found those posts, go find the one's where I've said Boynton "sucks"......... i'll be here waiting....