Oklahoma State Cowboys vs #16 West Virginia Mountaineers (ESPN2 @8PM)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Tech blew us out. Even with our shooting issues, we still stayed pretty much 15 points or under most of the game. There were times it was more than that, but we kept battling back. That's not a blowout.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yeah we stayed within 15 points during a game in which we averaged just over 20 points per half. Totally not a blowout.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Frank Bonner II...

Oklahoma State entered with a 12-0 record under coach Mike Boynton when holding opponents under 60 points. The Mountaineers broke that trend by applying tough defensive pressure of their own to help seal the win. The 41 points scored by OSU is the lowest total of the season.

Graduate transfer Jonathan Laurent got his first start after one of OSU’s best 3-point shooters, Thomas Dziagwa, sat out with the flu. The Cowboys could have used Dziagwa’s shooting after missing their first 16 3-point shot attempts.

“Not having Thomas didn’t help but I thought we got good looks and just didn’t make them,” Boynton said. “Sometimes that happens and when it does and you’re playing against a really good defensive team who doesn’t give you anything in the paint, it’s going to be a hard night.”

Lindy Waters III made Oklahoma State’s first and only 3-pointer with 8:19 left in the game at the end of a 9-2 run that cut the Mountaineers’ 16-point lead to 43-34. Tulsa native Kalib Boone was a major spark to that run with two timely baskets and a block during the four-minute span. Boone finished with four points, two rebounds and a block in his eight minutes of play.

“Kalib Boone has been a little bit more up and down,” Boynton said of his production in practice. “I didn’t know how much I could play him today. But obviously, Yor (Anei) struggled and I wanted to just give him a shot. He brought great energy and passion to the game as well and he’s going to continue to get better.”
Also, Guerin Emig did his first Big 12 weekly rankings of the season today. OSU begins at No. 10:

Record: 9-5/0-2

NET: 55

This week: Sat at TCU, 1 pm

The Cowboys won’t be here long, but where else do you put a team that lost its league opener by 35 points, then scored 41 next time out at home? A pitiful Big 12 start for Mike Boynton.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2016
florida
I'm sure u can @ and i'm sure it goes back to Eddie - or give your oSu example- don't give me Kansas or Duke, etc, AL.
What does Indiana think now?. Guess what; times change. We went down a rabbit hole albeit it with a 4 or 5 star every other year, not too many. Happy - crap no but we need a new relight - I believe in this coach. OK 4 years up call me out - OK?
1578420820875.png

Mar 15, 2005
He seems like a very likable man and potentially a great recruiter. Everything you'd want in a top assistant coach. But with him as head coach, our basketball program is as bad as its ever been in the 25 years I've been watching.

People on this website don't like it when AD Holder gets criticized, but his decision making (particularly the way this last coach was hired) has led OSU basketball to where it is now. I have no idea how he is still getting a free pass.

Mar 15, 2005
I seldom post on here as you can tell, but I do enjoy the "almost instantaneous" updates on what's going on - however, I just had to log on to comment on this post. Exactly how does Mike Holder continue to hold a job as the athletic director at OSU? Based on results, it doesn't seem possible that he has been at OSU for so long. I realize he was joined at the hip with Boone and his money, but at some point the buck has to stop at his desk - and, from all outward appearances, the athletic program at OSU seems to be somewhat of a mess based on results. From everything I have seen, Holder is as arrogant as they come with as little reason to be arrogant as any man ever had. What has he personally done - other than convince Boone to part with his money? His handling of the basketball coaching merry-go-round has been a mess and that program is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the Big 12. As best I can tell all he's done with the football program is to fail to get along with Gundy and pontificate that he (Holder) wants to see higher level recruits coming to OSU. Great idea - now what has Holder done about that? I'm just frustrated with Holder and if there was only one person I could get rid of at OSU it would be him.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas
I seldom post on here as you can tell, but I do enjoy the "almost instantaneous" updates on what's going on - however, I just had to log on to comment on this post. Exactly how does Mike Holder continue to hold a job as the athletic director at OSU? Based on results, it doesn't seem possible that he has been at OSU for so long. I realize he was joined at the hip with Boone and his money, but at some point the buck has to stop at his desk - and, from all outward appearances, the athletic program at OSU seems to be somewhat of a mess based on results. From everything I have seen, Holder is as arrogant as they come with as little reason to be arrogant as any man ever had. What has he personally done - other than convince Boone to part with his money? His handling of the basketball coaching merry-go-round has been a mess and that program is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the Big 12. As best I can tell all he's done with the football program is to fail to get along with Gundy and pontificate that he (Holder) wants to see higher level recruits coming to OSU. Great idea - now what has Holder done about that? I'm just frustrated with Holder and if there was only one person I could get rid of at OSU it would be him.
What has Holder done with the program? Seriously? Have you been on campus in the last 20 years? You can argue that he has messed up a few hirings and firings (and I will probably agree with most of those) but you can’t say he’s done nothing as an AD. As far as facility upgrades he may be the most successful AD ever. I know there’s more to AD than just facilities but I don’t know how you can say he’s done nothing for our athletic program.

Apr 7, 2006
Blaming Holder or calling for Boynton's job is irrational - period.

Boynton is learning on the job - anyone that didn't expect that wasnt being realistic. You don't hire a coach with no experience and not expect to give him at least 4-5 years and certainly when you consider the roster you could argue that last year was the worst team we've had in a very long time and this team isnt much better. He is working with I would guess the least talented senior class in the Big XII. No Juniors. The go to guy on the team is a sophomore who was out for a month with Mono. The good news is that you've got good sophomores, freshmen and an incoming class that will fix this - but there's no fast forward button.

As far as Holder, I could probably find posts here as of 6 weeks ago that were praising the Boynton hire and worrying about his extension. Holder has been probably the best fundraiser in NCAA athletics, has donated his salary and has almost every program on solid footing - basketball has been a struggle (see paragraph above). There was an awful hire/contract involved and now there is just a lot of patience required to allow the program to get out of the hole created by turnover, depth and fan support. I don't believe he's beyond criticism but nothing he does right now will change things.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Hard to be patient after getting blown out in our own gym again
Tech blew us out. Even with our shooting issues, we still stayed pretty much 15 points or under most of the game. There were times it was more than that, but we kept battling back. That's not a blowout.

Besides, we actually got a lot of open uncontested shots. They just weren't falling.

Well

This is how I waste time.
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
@HoustonPoke's point is understandable. Yes, Holder has done some good things. The campus infrastructure has in fact been improved substantially. But he has also made some major mistakes. Basketball is taking years to recoup from, and allowing the Omnipotent one to rule over the football program is not a situation that should have been allowed to occur. I understand the sentiment.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
@HoustonPoke's point is understandable. Yes, Holder has done some good things. The campus infrastructure has in fact been improved substantially. But he has also made some major mistakes. Basketball is taking years to recoup from, and allowing the Omnipotent one to rule over the football program is not a situation that should have been allowed to occur. I understand the sentiment.
Holder has made some mistakes, but who could have anticipated Eddie and his DUI, then Sean and his issues? The Ford contract was clearly an overreaction to attempt to show stability.

Jun 14, 2011
Holder has made some mistakes, but who could have anticipated Eddie and his DUI, then Sean and his issues? The Ford contract was clearly an overreaction to attempt to show stability.
And Holder knows the Ford contract was a mistake. He is certainly arrogant, which may not be the worst quailty in an AD but he isn't stupid by any means.

Bring on the wrestling facility!

Sep 9, 2013
2 points:

1. Huggins was fined 10k for making the comment after the game about "three blind mice"
referring to the officials.

2. WVU has never held a team in its over 100 year history to lower than 1-20 shooting from the 3. You guys just had a historically bad shooting day. MB shouldnt play likely(sp) that many minutes after he's just coming back with mono. Not against a deep team like wvu that rotated fresh guards to guard him every 3-4 minutes.

You risk a relapse if you push someone with mono(it never goes away, just in remission), too hard too fast. That was his only glaring error to me. Even if he's 100 percent you cant expect a guy to play 40 minutes aginst fresh defenders, who are actually very good defenders. Haley is 6-10, btw, and i doubt OSU sees many 6-10 guards.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
2 points:

1. Huggins was fined 10k for making the comment after the game about "three blind mice"
referring to the officials.

2. WVU has never held a team in its over 100 year history to lower than 1-20 shooting from the 3. You guys just had a historically bad shooting day. MB shouldnt play likely(sp) that many minutes after he's just coming back with mono. Not against a deep team like wvu that rotated fresh guards to guard him every 3-4 minutes.

You risk a relapse if you push someone with mono(it never goes away, just in remission), too hard too fast. That was his only glaring error to me. Even if he's 100 percent you cant expect a guy to play 40 minutes aginst fresh defenders, who are actually very good defenders. Haley is 6-10, btw, and i doubt OSU sees many 6-10 guards.
I was surprised he came back so soon as well. No way he’s healthy, I got mono in the 8th grade and it took me months before I even felt normal again just on energy level.