Oklahoma State Basketball Program Assessment

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Keep being competitive.

A salty, well coached team will keep the excitement going. Win some games. Make a good showing in those you lose. Put out a fundememtally sound team. The folks will keep coming.
I don't doubt that people will come, but to be at a fan support level we were might not happen again. Basketball has changed since that time with more and more kids moving on to the nba faster than in those days, football has caught and lapped basketball in terms of fan support and intrest with both the students and alumni. Financial support for football is at an all time high in the past decade and it takes that level of commitment in order to compete where we want to compete...I'm just not sure if our pockets are deep enough to support both at the level it takes to be outstanding (in terms of fan support) at both at the same time. Certainly we can do better regarding basketball support, and I think that HCMB is an outstanding coach/person that just might make that happen.
The NBA can only take so many players. They are becoming saturated now as more go in than are leaving. Unless they expand, the 'one and done' is gonna slow down.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Or you’ll see more young players go to the G League. The NBA added those two way contracts last year, so they can essentially have two players in the minors at all times now. I could see the G League gaining some popularity and contracts getting bigger making it a more viable option for young guys. Players like Terrance Ferguson could stay in the states instead of going overseas.

tmcats

Wrangler
Feb 13, 2014
Boyton has a nice demeanor about him showing, like Kruger and unlike Weber, that there are many methods to this madness called collegiate coaching. Most outsiders, like me, were impressed with how he managed oSu this season. The fact the Pokes didn't make the dance party and OU did was a travesty.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
OSU basketball: Jeffrey Carroll begins play in Portsmouth Invitational Wednesday

For college seniors seeking to impress NBA scouts and improve their pro prospects, the Portsmouth Invitational acts as another chance.

Jeffrey Carroll is one of the 64 seniors taking part in the four-day tournament this year, which begins Wednesday in Portsmouth, Virginia.

The Oklahoma State senior's college career ended three weeks ago against Western Kentucky, but he'll get three more games in this weekend on Team Sales Systems, Ltd.

Carroll's first game is at 7 p.m. Wednesday against Cherry Bekaert.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oklahoma State coach Mike Boynton visited Jeffrey Carroll in Virginia to show his support.

Jeffrey Carroll's 21-minute debut in the Portsmouth Invitational was a success -- and his team got the win, too.

The former Oklahoma State guard scored 15 points on 4-of-6 shooting, knocking down 3-of-4 3-pointers to help his Sales Systems, Ltd. team to a 103-93 win over Cherry Bekaert on the first day of a tournament for 64 college seniors in Portsmouth, Virginia.
Link

Mar 8, 2010
While not quite as bad, the post Eddie years are approaching the post Iba years in terms of OSU basketball being irrelevant in the conference again. I hope MB can put a stop to that trend. Like Stoolboy, at this point, I'm most concerned about recruiting.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
While not quite as bad, the post Eddie years are approaching the post Iba years in terms of OSU basketball being irrelevant in the conference again. I hope MB can put a stop to that trend. Like Stoolboy, at this point, I'm most concerned about recruiting.
Recruiting is vital. We don't need to recruit a team of 5'10" guys.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Hope you all don't mind -- I'll do updates on Jeffrey Carroll here rather than start a new thread...

Jeffrey Carroll ended his week in Portsmouth, Virginia, undefeated.

Carroll and his Sales Systems, Ltd., team won the championship of the Portsmouth Invitational 91-90 over K&D Round's Landscaping on Saturday, finishing a 3-0 week in a tournament that featured 64 college seniors.
Link

Jan 2, 2005
My assessment of the program is both good and bad.

I thought Boyton got better as the season went on. We lost several games due to poor game management(UT, KState first time, Even OU) and some to just bad luck(Arkansas). I think he is already a better coach than Underwood but I think very low of him.

His scheme defensively is much better than Ford and Underwood. He bounces between up the line man and traditional man a lot which gave teams fits. He also switched to zone a lot but sometimes stayed in it way too long. He was for the most part very good in year one on defense.

Offensively he is a work in progress. We run very few sets, and almost zero inbounds plays. We do the same zipper action inbounds play everytime and it doesn't set us up for anything. I nearly everytime results in us throwing it into the backcourt or a very contested pass to the big. I think if Scott stays on, this will change. I hope that it does but big time programs get pts off inbounds plays and having different offenses.
The roster plus Shine has NCAA tournament fringe potential, minus Shine and we hurting. All of that said, I think we can't really even grade it yet because we are going after 2-3 transfers. Weathers is a stud though and will be at or above end of the season Kendal Smith level.

Recruiting wise, Is where I'm worried the most. He lost Lamont and has no regional aau ties to anything near us. It scares me a lot honestly. Without a stud recruiter connected to the AAU scene now days you are tied to transfers and regional kids.
That said he has tried to make in roads with PWP and Team Griffin a lot, which would help 2019 a ton.

I think Boyton is a genuinely likeable guy who got better as the season went on. I hope he grows offensively and we will be great. If he can get kids families to campus, and make in roads in Texas and the AAU scene we will be in a great position.
"Recruiting wise, Is where I'm worried the most. He lost Lamont and has no regional aau ties to anything near us. It scares me a lot honestly. Without a stud recruiter connected to the AAU scene now days you are tied to transfers and regional kids.
That said he has tried to make in roads with PWP and Team Griffin a lot, which would help 2019 a ton."

Although they are not a lock until they actually can sign, the Boone twin's announcement yesterday offers some hope for the future in this area.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
"Recruiting wise, Is where I'm worried the most. He lost Lamont and has no regional aau ties to anything near us. It scares me a lot honestly. Without a stud recruiter connected to the AAU scene now days you are tied to transfers and regional kids.
That said he has tried to make in roads with PWP and Team Griffin a lot, which would help 2019 a ton."

Although they are not a lock until they actually can sign, the Boone twin's announcement yesterday offers some hope for the future in this area.
Scott Sutton should have some contacts.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Mark Cooper...

The coming weeks will be as important, if not more so, to OSU’s on-court success this fall.

Oklahoma State still has four open scholarships to work with. It has three visitors coming to campus.

Before we get into the future visits, a look at Oklahoma State’s scholarship situation as of Friday.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Didn't want to start another new thread, but the Rice Commission report on college basketball reform is out.

If you want to read all 53 pages, here you go.

Guerin Emig's take...

The issues here run so deep, and have run amok for so long, that any attempt at reform short of sea change comes across as flimsy. Wednesday’s CBC report is hardly sea change. It misses the heart of issues that are plain to see for anyone familiar with the state of college basketball.

In its worst moments, it teeters on fantasy. Take this passage from the report’s Executive Summary:

“The Commission believes that the answer to many of college basketball’s problems lies in a renewed commitment to the college degree as the centerpiece of intercollegiate athletics.”

No, the centerpiece of intercollegiate athletics as they relate to basketball, since this is the sport we’re dealing with here, is talented players using college as a springboard to their ultimate goal – playing professionally. If they get their degree along the way, great. But they’re in college to develop their basketball primarily, not their minds, since basketball is their ticket to earning a living.

If they want to take some of the money from their pro salary and return to school later in life for that degree, and use it to earn a second living beyond basketball, power to them.
Link