Oklahoma State announces beer sales at Boone Pickens Stadium this fall, along with no re-entry policy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I don't know that liability exists and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Regardless, controlling alcohol sales during a game still does nothing to change what people do outside of the stadium. Serving alcohol only increases OSU's liability.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Alcohol is already served on the club level and binge drinking is allowed in the parking lots. They started serving beer at the baseball & softball games this past season. I doubt selling watered down beer at $8 or $9 a cup at concessions will add any type of liability to the athletic department that they don't already have.
Good points. I assume the club seat tickets may have some extra legal jargon which may now appear on all tickets.

Also really looking forward to the longer concession lines now that the vendors have to check IDs.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
Nothing has changed except that when you go to your tailgate at half time for your "cheaper" alcohol - you can't return. Its still your choice to leave - if you deem saving $10 for cheaper booze for those 45 minutes is worth it to you, I guess you "beat the system." Again, I ask - what is more important to YOU?? ......... by the way (as mentioned above) this how all professional sports work and the college programs that allow alcohol sales are pretty much in line across the country.

Oct 30, 2007
One last note, Texas made an astounding $3.1 million last year off of in stadium beer and wine sales. My guess is this decision had very little to do with anything other than generating additional revenue for the athletic department.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
One last note, Texas made an astounding $3.1 million last year off of in stadium beer and wine sales. My guess is this decision had very little to do with anything other than generating additional revenue for the athletic department.
Duh! That is why we are doing it too. Without verifying it - I bet UT has a very similar policy to what we are doing.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
I love beer. It's one of my favorite things. I love tailgating. There's usually beer.

But as much as I love beer and tailgating, I love OSU football more. And I don't go out of my way on Saturdays to go to one half of a football game. I can drink almost any other time, before and after the game. Now if I really feel like it, I can drink during the game.

This whole no re-entry thing is overblown, in my opinion. If it hurts your feelings that much then just show up to campus with a TV and tailgate. Don't even go near the stadium. Because that's clearly where your priorities lie. As for me, I'll be at the tailgate before the game, at the stadium during the game, and at home celebrating/commiserating with a beer after.

Oh, and if anyone actually believes that this will somehow hurt ticket sales, then bless your little heart.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Consider this, we have a very realistic chance of going into homecoming undefeated against Texas. I bet we'll see a large exodus from the student section to tailgate at halftime. If the game is tight, a large number would come back to see the second half. With this policy they won't be able to.
The students at homecoming have been up all night for about 2 weeks, those that are going to stay will and those that leave won't come back...just as they don't now. I just happen to be in the camp that figures, now that they know they don't have the option to return, they will be less likely to leave at all. Plus the Greek students don't leave to tailgate at homecoming halftime because that is when the sweepstakes awards are announced...they leave after that.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't know that liability exists and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Regardless, controlling alcohol sales during a game still does nothing to change what people do outside of the stadium. Serving alcohol only increases OSU's liability.

Potential liability or added risk would have been a better way to state it. As far as serving beer in the main stadium in addition to what they have been doing for years on the club and suites levels increasing liability, I really don't think so.

Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Alcohol is already served on the club level and binge drinking is allowed in the parking lots. They started serving beer at the baseball & softball games this past season. I doubt selling watered down beer at $8 or $9 a cup at concessions will add any type of liability to the athletic department that they don't already have.
But beer companies don't have to sell watered down beer after Oct. 1.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If the school is really worried about this then maybe they should rethink selling alcohol. Now instead of people drinking before the game and then sobering up during, some people will just continue to drink the whole time.....this move seems like it would lead to more alcohol related problems, not fewer.
It's likely that they will stop selling beer around the 4th quarter, this is typical of sports teams currently to allow those in stadium to sober up....plus more expensive beer means a little less consumed perhaps. No reason why people that drink before the game and use it to help sober up have to change a thing...except for leaving at halftime to slam a few more..

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I've had season tickets for a long time, and I have really, really good seats, but screw this. The concessions are over priced, 8 AM big whoop, and if we were great we would be playing at night.
I think you might have just been looking for a reason to not renew considering you missed the early deadline anyway...We are playing the first two games at night this year so you would have a bunch of extra time on tailgates if you start at 8am...that's the point of them allowing earlier times to set up. Anyway, I do hope you find it in your heart to renew despite this change and just try it out for a year. I think it's going to be another great year, it would be a shame to let this change ruin it for you.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I doubt that it will be watered down after November 1. Isn’t that when the new law kicks in?

Edit: it is October 1.

Last edited:

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If the school is really worried about this then maybe they should rethink selling alcohol. Now instead of people drinking before the game and then sobering up during, some people will just continue to drink the whole time.....this move seems like it would lead to more alcohol related problems, not fewer.
I didn’t realize binge drinking at halftime was so prevalent. I’m pretty sure it’s safer to sip an overpriced beer or two over a 3-4 hour game than to slam several “cheap” beers halfway through. I just don’t see any more or less “alcohol problems” because of beer sales in the stadium. Even at pro sports the in stadium drunks didn’t get that way off of $8 beers, they overdid it in the parking lot before the game. I’ve always been impressed that I’ve rarely observed people who were way too drunk at OSU tailgates. Nothing like an NFL tailgate environment..

If it was just money it would have happened years ago. Money obviously is a big part of it, but there are other valid considerations.

There will be no "watered down" beer in the state once in effect. That said, folks who drink domestic light beers who are ready for that boost in alc. content are in for disappointment.
Bless your heart if you think “six point” bud light is less “watered down” than the current stuff. It’s not the alcohol that waters it down, and the increased abv is minimal. It’s the same watery swill with a few extra drops of alcohol. I’ll bet money that if you drank six current Oklahoma bud lights and six Texas bud lights you’d have no observable difference in drunkness.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
By buying over priced beer?
I will happily buy a beer (or 6) in the stadium knowing it goes to support OSU and our athletic department. Every bowl game I've been too, I've spent a fortune on beer... but I'm getting to watch my team, drink good cold beer and be merry with all my orange friends. Lighten up brah.

It sounds like you're literally bitching just to bitch. Cmon man.