Oklahoma State announces beer sales at Boone Pickens Stadium this fall, along with no re-entry policy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
And lose, lose, lose for a pathetic money grubbing experience. I have an idea, since they have a captive audience now why not do something novel and drop the damn prices. They are probably going to make the toilets pay toilets. I can bring my own beer to my tailgate instead of paying quadruple price in the stadium
So are you going to a football game or a bar? Stay and support the band. Watch the third quarter.

Besides most people don't leave at half. This gives the majority an new service.

Oct 30, 2007
I never leave at halftime and I would prefer that no one else did either. I hate to see the mass exodus at halftime by the student section if the game isn't exciting. But I think that our athletic department should allow the people paying thousands of dollars every year for the game day experience to do whatever they want. I don't see the students staying in their seats instead of hitting the tailgates at halftime. I just think this guarantees they won't come back.

Hopefully this won't have a measurable impact on season ticket sales. I'm sure the policy won't be set in stone if it does.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Right. I meant that they'll make the decision to skip the second half by leaving at halftime. (as opposed to visiting a tailgate and then coming back)
We might have 1000 fans that don't renew due to this policy but they will be replaced by 2000 that renew or purchase new due to the new amenities in stadium.
And lose, lose, lose for a pathetic money grubbing experience. I have an idea, since they have a captive audience now why not do something novel and drop the damn prices. They are probably going to make the toilets pay toilets. I can bring my own beer to my tailgate instead of paying quadruple price in the stadium
You can still do that, now you can do it starting at 8am until gametime...you just can't leave and return anymore like nearly every great football school already has as one of their rules.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I never leave at halftime and I would prefer that no one else did either. I hate to see the mass exodus at halftime by the student section if the game isn't exciting. But I think that our athletic department should allow the people paying thousands of dollars every year for the game day experience to do whatever they want. I don't see the students staying in their seats instead of hitting the tailgates at halftime. I just think this guarantees they won't come back.

Hopefully this won't have a measurable impact on season ticket sales. I'm sure the policy won't be set in stone if it does.
Why would it? Seriously, are such huge numbers of people attached to leaving the stadium to get drunk that its going to effect sales? I highly doubt it will make a dent in ticket sales expect for maybe an increase due to the enhancements in-stadium and the improved environment due to having WAY more fans in the stands to start the second half. Heck they even made a concession to tailgaters to start earlier.

Another consideration the school had to make was regarding liability and security, in this day and age the school has to protect itself from liability and study after study shows that having inside beer sales coupled with a no re-admittance policy reduces risk of DUI and other liability.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Why would it? Seriously are such huge numbers of people attached to leaving the stadium to get drunk that its going to affect sales? I highly doubt it will make a dent in sales expect for maybe an increase due to the enhancements in-stadium and the improved environment due to having WAY more fans in the stands to start the second half.
Season ticket numbers are most dependent on the expectations of the team going into the season. That's why we sold out every game last year except Kansas. Our numbers are likely to dip this season because it's a reloading year.

I know some people that are big into tailgating. They spend thousands for the opportunity to tailgate. They leave work early Friday to get their spot. They set up Satelite TV's to watch other games. They bring smokers to cook with. The entire game day is an event. Some of those people leave and never come back after halftime. From time to time they spend the entire game out at the tailgate. I haven't asked them about this policy, but I'm not sure they'll continue to buy season tickets if they can't come and go as they please.

Hopefully this won't have any affect on season ticket sales and we'll actually see larger crowds in the second half of games. I have my doubts though.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

Why would it? Seriously, are such huge numbers of people attached to leaving the stadium to get drunk that its going to effect sales? I highly doubt it will make a dent in ticket sales expect for maybe an increase due to the enhancements in-stadium and the improved environment due to having WAY more fans in the stands to start the second half. Heck they even made a concession to tailgaters to start earlier.

Another consideration the school had to make was regarding liability and security, in this day and age the school has to protect itself from liability and study after study shows that having inside beer sales coupled with a no re-admittance policy reduces risk of DUI and other liability.
Huh? Serving alcohol creates a liability for OSU that has never before existed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Since when did the students come back anyway...I think its much more likely that they stay through the 3rd quarter in blowouts. They can still do whatever they want (and they can start doing it at 8am), they just can't come back in the stadium if they leave during game time.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

They have liability for anyone partaking of alcohol in any tailgate on their campus already, this just puts the drinking more in their control and they can cut things off in the 4th quarter if they decide too. It's done at every major league and NFL stadium in the country.

wreck

Intrigued By Shiny Objects
A/V Subscriber
Jun 3, 2006
Dallas
By buying over priced beer?
Well, cokes and hot dogs are over-priced as well - always have been and always will. It's called the facts of life. You don't have to attend games, you can stay home and drink all the cheap beer you want and watch it on TV. Your choice completely.

Oct 30, 2007
Since when did the students come back anyway...I think its much more likely that they stay through the 3rd quarter in blowouts. They can still do whatever they want (and they can start doing it at 8am), they just can't come back in the stadium if they leave during game time.
Consider this, we have a very realistic chance of going into homecoming undefeated against Texas. I bet we'll see a large exodus from the student section to tailgate at halftime. If the game is tight, a large number would come back to see the second half. With this policy they won't be able to.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the school is really worried about this then maybe they should rethink selling alcohol. Now instead of people drinking before the game and then sobering up during, some people will just continue to drink the whole time.....this move seems like it would lead to more alcohol related problems, not fewer.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
We might have 1000 fans that don't renew due to this policy but they will be replaced by 2000 that renew or purchase new due to the new amenities in stadium.

You can still do that, now you can do it starting at 8am until gametime...you just can't leave and return anymore like nearly every great football school already has as one of their rules.
I've had season tickets for a long time, and I have really, really good seats, but screw this. The concessions are over priced, 8 AM big whoop, and if we were great we would be playing at night.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

Documentation on the study?

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

They have liability for anyone partaking of alcohol in any tailgate on their campus already, this just puts the drinking more in their control and they can cut things off in the 4th quarter if they decide too. It's done at every major league and NFL stadium in the country.
I don't know that liability exists and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Regardless, controlling alcohol sales during a game still does nothing to change what people do outside of the stadium. Serving alcohol only increases OSU's liability.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
So the beer po po are going to be going through the marvelous tailgates that are staked out at 8:01 AM to collect all the beer to keep us safe and limit the university liability from a lawsuit that has never happened since the uni was founded? That Mike Holder is such a thoughtful and caring human being.

Oct 30, 2007
I don't know that liability exists and I'm fairly certain you don't either. Regardless, controlling alcohol sales during a game still does nothing to change what people do outside of the stadium. Serving alcohol only increases OSU's liability.

Alcohol is already served on the club level and binge drinking is allowed in the parking lots. They started serving beer at the baseball & softball games this past season. I doubt selling watered down beer at $8 or $9 a cup at concessions will add any type of liability to the athletic department that they don't already have.

Oct 30, 2007