Oklahoma State announces beer sales at Boone Pickens Stadium this fall, along with no re-entry policy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I did actually visit with Mr Weiberg last week after sending an email about the No Re-Entry. I was impressed he called me and the reasoning was sound. They are trying, I still don't like No Re-Entry but the answers I received were more than satisfactory. If I'm going to give my opinion on a message board I'm going to give credit when I receive answers that help me to understand the other side of an issue.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I did actually visit with Mr Weiberg last week after sending an email about the No Re-Entry. I was impressed he called me and the reasoning was sound. They are trying, I still don't like No Re-Entry but the answers I received were more than satisfactory. If I'm going to give my opinion on a message board I'm going to give credit when I receive answers that help me to understand the other side of an issue.
What did he say as to the reasons?

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
And is OSU going to have a place inside the stadium for a fan to have a smoke during halftime? .
Apparently you didn't get the memo that smoking (tobacco not pot) and judging people (unless it's judging them for smoking) are the only true sins left in society.

At my job now, smokers must walk a quarter mile and stand in ankle deep swamp water to smoke.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
From Bill Haisten...

For a 16-ounce cup of beer sold during a Cowboy football game, the price is $8.

Texas and West Virginia are Big 12 schools that include alcohol in their game-day concessions, and they also charge $8 for a beer.

What brands of beer will be available at OSU? Anheuser-Busch, Miller and Coors products, along with some Oklahoma craft beers. There is a limit of two beers per purchase.

At first glance, there is the legitimate concern about crowd control. As a way to generate additional money, OSU has decided to sell alcohol to emotionally charged football fans. What could possibly go wrong?

Actually, because of a new policy regarding stadium re-entry, OSU expects a reduction in the number of alcohol-related incidents in and near the stadium.

Connected to the beer-sales decision is a smart play by the university — a policy that prohibits fans from re-entering the stadium if they decide to leave at any time.
Link

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
How so, late or no re-entry was killing our 3rd quarter attendance as well as creating obnoxious fans among those that did come back late in the 3rd wasted. I think it's a very solid compromise and a revenue producer as well, I bet it also reduces DWI. Honestly I don't like the beer sales but I love the no entry policy from a football and liability standpoint, so it's a great compromise IMHO.
Crazy enough beer sales will likely produce less in-stadium intoxication as people will be less likely to get hammered before hand and/or sneak it in.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
One last note, Texas made an astounding $3.1 million last year off of in stadium beer and wine sales. My guess is this decision had very little to do with anything other than generating additional revenue for the athletic department.
I'm guess we'll make 750,000 or so or equal to our offensive coordinator salary which is big for athletic department.

Feb 18, 2009
I've seen a number of references to "alcohol related incidents" in and around the stadium? I have only seen one incident in all the year's I've gone to games. That was Bedlam and it wasn't even alcohol fueled. Do you guys see this crap going on more than I have?

Side note:: I don't mind the no re-entry but I am not a huge fan either. I hate seeing half empty sections of the stadium at the start of the 3rd quarter. But I like the tailgating too. What if they had just said no re-entry once the 3rd quarter starts or by the 10:00 mark or something like that? Might have solved two challenges without riling people up so much.

Interested in @andylicious expanding on Mr. Weiberg's answers too.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The Oklahoma media sure are acting like a bunch of teetotalers in this deal. Six months ago there were articles calling for the antiquated alcohol related laws in the state to be redesigned for the 21st century... now there are quips about "what could go wrong serving beer at sporting events in Stillwater."

Which do you want? Do you want Oklahoma to be more progressive? Or do you want status quo?

If OU had done this it probably would've been the greatest decision ever made and Joe Castiglione would've been labeled a genius.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I've seen a number of references to "alcohol related incidents" in and around the stadium? I have only seen one incident in all the year's I've gone to games. That was Bedlam and it wasn't even alcohol fueled. Do you guys see this crap going on more than I have?

Side note:: I don't mind the no re-entry but I am not a huge fan either. I hate seeing half empty sections of the stadium at the start of the 3rd quarter. But I like the tailgating too. What if they had just said no re-entry once the 3rd quarter starts or by the 10:00 mark or something like that? Might have solved two challenges without riling people up so much.

Interested in @andylicious expanding on Mr. Weiberg's answers too.
Same. I think we have one of the best behaved fanbases around. Other than Bedlam there is rarely any animosity that boils over into even verbal altercations in the stadium. I don't think alcohol sales nor single entry will increase or decrease those incidents.

I like your compromise of re-entry for a limited period of time however I believe it's an A.B.L.E. law.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Same. I think we have one of the best behaved fanbases around. Other than Bedlam there is rarely any animosity that boils over into even verbal altercations in the stadium. I don't think alcohol sales nor single entry will increase or decrease those incidents.

I like your compromise of re-entry for a limited period of time however I believe it's an A.B.L.E. law.
So are you saying you can’t leave a Thunder game and re-enter? I never tried. But I also never heard the ABLE commission not allowing re-entry in to a facility that serves alcohol.....or anywhere for that matter. The no re-entry isn’t confined to those who drink alcohol so I’d be surprised if it has anything to do with the ABLE commission. They just enforce laws already in place. They don’t make laws.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
So are you saying you can’t leave a Thunder game and re-enter? I never tried. But I also never heard the ABLE commission not allowing re-entry in to a facility that serves alcohol.....or anywhere for that matter. The no re-entry isn’t confined to those who drink alcohol so I’d be surprised if it has anything to do with the ABLE commission. They just enforce laws already in place. They don’t make laws.
Chesapeake Energy Arena has No-Re Entry for all games and events. It's posted on all the doors.

bacowboy

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2004
BA
Chesapeake Energy Arena has No-Re Entry for all games and events. It's posted on all the doors.
No Re-entry is pretty standard at stadiums across the country.

For the responsible enjoyment of fans who are of legal age, beer and wine are available for purchase throughout the stadium. To permit the sale of beer and wine, Texas Athletics must comply with all TABC laws, rules and regulations. To ensure compliance, we have made adjustments to our re-entry policy.
All gates open at the conclusion of the Stadium Stampede, or approximately two hours before kickoff; from that point, fans are allowed one entry. Once gates are open and fans have full access to stadium seating, fans who have scanned in will not be able to exit the stadium and re-enter. This policy is consistent with most major sporting venues across the country, including AT&T Stadium (home of the Dallas Cowboys) and NRG Stadium (home of the Houston Texans).

https://texassports.com/news/2015/8/12/FB_0812155808.aspx