Oklahoma State announces beer sales at Boone Pickens Stadium this fall, along with no re-entry policy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Beer sales are coming to Boone Pickens Stadium -- and all other Oklahoma State athletic venues -- this fall.

After testing beer sales at baseball and softball games this spring, OSU announced Thursday that it would begin selling beer at up to 22 locations adjacent to concession stands inside Boone Pickens Stadium this football season. The beer sales will include craft selections.

The other major change, along with in-stadium beer sales comes to OSU's re-entry policy. Spectators will no longer be permitted to leave the stadium and return. Oklahoma State already had a no re-entry policy in place for events in Gallagher-Iba Arena, but it eliminates re-entry at Boone Pickens Stadium.
Link

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
I understand it's all about concession money but this definitely puts a dent in my experience as a fan. I enjoy the camaraderie of halftime pit stops outside the stadium, and drinking better + cheaper beer. I think we'll see many more empty seats of people who don't return for the second half, especially for the blistering hot first few games. I also don't see college kids paying for very many stadium priced beers.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
I understand it's all about concession money but this definitely puts a dent in my experience as a fan. I enjoy the camaraderie of halftime pit stops outside the stadium, and drinking better + cheaper beer. I think we'll see many more empty seats of people who don't return for the second half, especially for the blistering hot first few games. I also don't see college kids paying for very many stadium priced beers.
Oh, but they will. Bursar TTF!

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
way to screw up a good thing. stupid move Holder and co
How so, late or no re-entry was killing our 3rd quarter attendance as well as creating obnoxious fans among those that did come back late in the 3rd wasted. I think it's a very solid compromise and a revenue producer as well, I bet it also reduces DWI. Honestly I don't like the beer sales but I love the no entry policy from a football and liability standpoint, so it's a great compromise IMHO.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
They can't return for the second half if they leave...bottom line it's a no re-entry policy. Those that wanted beer sales at the stadium got their wish as did the football program. A win/win that I think was long overdue. Btw, they are adding several "cool zones" to counteract the heat as well. This is a full-on renovation of the services offered fans this year. New huge screen jumbo tron, tons of new food and beverage vendors and beer sales. The atmosphere should improve at all games since one cannot leave and expect to re-enter.

Last edited:

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
They can't return for the second half if they leave...bottom line it's a no re-entry policy. Those that wanted beer sales at the stadium got their wish as did the football program. A win/win that I think was long overdue.
Right. I meant that they'll make the decision to skip the second half by leaving at halftime. (as opposed to visiting a tailgate and then coming back)

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I wonder if the “cool zones” will have screens and tables which can act as meeting and socializing places for people who liked that part of the leave and re enter policy. Have a cold beer in a cold zone then back to your seat. I think it’s a fine idea. Just gonna need to be smart about the drive home.

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Right. I meant that they'll make the decision to skip the second half by leaving at halftime. (as opposed to visiting a tailgate and then coming back)
why even buy a ticket if a fan is going to do that? Not to bring them into this but does anyone know what the polices are at ou regarding re-entry and if they sell beer? I assumed they have no re-entry and don't sell beer? Never mind, I looked it up...ou has no re-entry and doesn't sell beer either...so we have it better than them still.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
The no re-entry policy is stupid. People will either stay outside to tailgate during the second half or think twice about spending thousands of dollars for season tickets and parking spots to tailgate at. I hope this doesn't hurt season ticket sales long term.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
The no re-entry policy is stupid. People will either stay outside to tailgate during the second half or think twice about spending thousands of dollars for season tickets and parking spots to tailgate at. I hope this doesn't hurt season ticket sales long term.
It already has, I probably won't re-up. This is just a money grab.

SKC

Deputy
Apr 1, 2007
Prosper, TX
It doesn't affect me either way, but are you saying that tailgating before and after the game isn't enough? That folks that can't tailgate/drink before, during, AND after the game may choose to stay home?

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It already has, I probably won't re-up. This is just a money grab.
It's not a money grab..it's an enhancement of the fan experience for those that want to enjoy football and the team more than socialize outside the stadium and return late in the game missing time when they were needed. Btw, they are opening the tailgates at 8am no matter the game-time or day, giving folks more tailgate time prior to games than before. We get better consesions in stadium, beer and craft beer sales (hoping for Iron Monk) and we get fans to stay in the stadium during and after halftime! It's a win/win'/win/win for Oklahoma State University football.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It doesn't affect me either way, but are you saying that tailgating before and after the game isn't enough? That folks that can't tailgate/drink before, during, AND after the game may choose to stay home?
People get in a routine and don't like change...I think those that figure out it's no big deal will roll with the tide. I bet we are one of the very very few that still had re-entry. Plus it sounds like OSU really thought this out by offering beer sales and not just name brand stuff and opening up the tailgates at 8am regardless of the game-time. I think it's going to greatly enhance the game day experience for those who don't mind a little change.

StillwaterMan

Beers and loud noises
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2010
Wheres the food at?
People get in a routine and don't like change...I think those that figure out it's no big deal will roll with the tide. I bet we are one of the very very few that still had re-entry. Plus it sounds like OSU really thought this out by offering beer sales and not just name brand stuff and opening up the tailgates at 8am regardless of the game-time. I think it's going to greatly enhance the game day experience for those who don't mind a little change.
I think the change is fine. It will generate some extra cash flow for the school. I'm sure the Cowboy Marching Band is pumped. I always leave at half, but mostly to do some eating and grab a water or two. I drink beer before the game and use the 4 hour game time and tailgate pack up to get right for the times I do drive. The rule sucks for me, but I wouldn't say its a bad thing overall.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
It's not a money grab..it's an enhancement of the fan experience for those that want to enjoy football and the team more than socialize outside the stadium and return late in the game missing time when they were needed. Btw, they are opening the tailgates at 8am no matter the game-time or day, giving folks more tailgate time prior to games than before. We get better consesions in stadium, beer and craft beer sales (hoping for Iron Monk) and we get fans to stay in the stadium during and after halftime! It's a win/win'/win/win for Oklahoma State University football.
And lose, lose, lose for a pathetic money grubbing experience. I have an idea, since they have a captive audience now why not do something novel and drop the damn prices. They are probably going to make the toilets pay toilets. I can bring my own beer to my tailgate instead of paying quadruple price in the stadium