Oklahoma State @ #22 Texas Tech (11AM - ESPN2)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 18, 2009
I'll tell you how, I'm thinking dizzy and Waters one or both of them are probably not feeling well from the look of the way they're playing offense and you've got Isaac coming off of being sick and I don't think he's well yet completely because he seems to be having issues still.

For those of you saying the seniors don't know how to deal with adversity or the starters from last year, just look at last year in regards to how they did handle things. For instance with an almost come from behind overtime victory in Lubbock last year. And there were several games they fought back and won last year. I really think some of you guys have time vision and can't remember last year or look beyond our shooting to see that there may be other factors going on.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
We only won 12 games last year, how did we “come back and win several?” No doubt, they went through hell last year but it’s not line they had options to leave and go pro.

That said, how many times have you watched this group get down 6-8 and then watch them completely unravel to a blow out loss? It’s happened three times this year alone. Whether that’s them or the staff is probably up for debate but you can’t watch this group and say, “man they really play hard for 40 minutes.” Or ‘They responded so well to the other team’s best punch.’

That what I mean by not being able to handle adversity in the game. Again, that may not be, and is probably not, entirely on them as players.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
We know this:

They are getting coached. They are watching film. They practice 2+ hours a day. We don’t know how much quality it is, but we know at the least the head man knows how to get across a positive message. There’s coaches on the bench that know the game well and have taught it well and there’s no reason to think they all of the sudden forgot how to do it.

To me, the disconnect is the receiving of the message by the players from the coaching staff. For some reason, it’s not resonating. That is ALSO the coaching staff’s job, to be sure that their message is received and EXECUTED. That is not happening, and it’s not even coming close.

At some point as a coach, you have to be an ass. You have to put not tolerating terrible play over your players’ feeling and mindset. Sometimes you tear them down and then rebuild them.

Celldweller7

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jul 17, 2004
A very specific place
Eddie made role players into all conference guys by their senior year. We might have a coaching issue...no doubt he can recuit and i'm hopeful that makes up for whatever else seems to be missing from the program...but we just don't seem to have any fire in our bones.
Eddie didn't take random dudes though, he recruited athletes that he could mold defensively (Melvin Sanders, Marcus Dove, Tony Allen). He never would've brought in Dizzy or Waters. They are not Sutton players. I love the commitment they've shown to our program, but they aren't Power 5 athletes.

To be fair, Boynton wouldn't have brought in Dizzy & Waters as an HC either. We can see his type, super long athletes. Like Eddie, Boynton doesn't seem to mind if they can't shoot at the HS level and we can see that in the freshmen. All very athletic, but they lack any offensive identity to their games. The problem is between our 3 returning and 1 transfer Senior, none of them are Big 12 starters. Hell, Cam is the only one I feel like I can make a strong argument for even belonging on a Big 12 roster.

I had hopes of being a bubble team this year that squeaked into the Tourney. That isn't looking great right now, but I am up for giving Boynton two more years. The final year of Ford and Underwood left us in a bit of a recruiting hole, so I am up for being patient. Especially given the sudden hiring of Boynton, we all knew it would be on the job training. He is learning a lot every year as well. Eddie didn't come here coaching when he was in his 30s.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2016
Dallas
Boynton just isnt a good coach. Well coached teams dont get throttled like this. He says the right things and recruits well but he shouldn't be head coach. Head recruiter, maybe. Head coach, no.

Mar 27, 2008
Not playing like this they won't.
Coach Boynton is in his 3rd year and if they don't make the tournament this year he will be without an NCAA Tournament appearance. Does his seat start to heat up? I know we have Cade Cunningham coming, but damn, do we even make the tournament with Cade on the team? It will look like when Trey Young was at OU without any support, and he's not the shooter Young was. We lose our two best shooters in Lindy and Diz. Teams will just play zone and stack the paint with bodies. I'm so sick of being irrelevant in basketball.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Coach Boynton is in his 3rd year and if they don't make the tournament this year he will be without an NCAA Tournament appearance. Does his seat start to heat up? I know we have Cade Cunningham coming, but damn, do we even make the tournament with Cade on the team? It will look like when Trey Young was at OU without any support, and he's not the shooter Young was. We lose our two best shooters in Lindy and Diz. Teams will just play zone and stack the paint with bodies. I'm so sick of being irrelevant in basketball.
No his seat is cool as the other side of your pillow, and we will do better than OU did with Trey (gimme the ball) Young.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
What a terrible showing. I would like to see some change up in the starting line-up. I don’t know if it will do us any good, but at this point it can’t get much worse. For those asking how we won in Brooklyn the answer is both Ole Miss and Syracuse shot terrible, both teams missed countless OPEN 3 pointers. When you play a team like Tech, they don’t miss those shots and we get blown out by 30.

Mar 27, 2008
No his seat is cool as the other side of your pillow, and we will do better than OU did with Trey (gimme the ball) Young.
I hope you are right. Monday will be tough too with #16 West Virginia coming to town. WVU looks good enough to win the Big12 this year. Currently beating Kansas at halftime in Lawrence.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'll tell you how, I'm thinking dizzy and Waters one or both of them are probably not feeling well from the look of the way they're playing offense and you've got Isaac coming off of being sick and I don't think he's well yet completely because he seems to be having issues still.

For those of you saying the seniors don't know how to deal with adversity or the starters from last year, just look at last year in regards to how they did handle things. For instance with an almost come from behind overtime victory in Lubbock last year. And there were several games they fought back and won last year. I really think some of you guys have time vision and can't remember last year or look beyond our shooting to see that there may be other factors going on.

What about other games in the last couple of weeks where they played like crap? This team is perpetually sick? I don't see how with a bunch of young athletic kids how they would have such crappy immune systems.
Yet they also played pretty good games recently as well. Where they moved the ball, shot well, and played defense. So which is it?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Yet they also played pretty good games recently as well. Where they moved the ball, shot well, and played defense. So which is it?

I'm talking about how they played against Wichita State and Minnesota. Particularly Minnesota. They looked awful in that game. Ball movement, shooting, and defense were all horrible in that game.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I'm talking about how they played against Wichita State and Minnesota. Particularly Minnesota. They looked awful in that game. Ball movement, shooting, and defense were all horrible in that game.
But that's not every game this season. That is my point.

Jul 7, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
Eddie didn't take random dudes though, he recruited athletes that he could mold defensively (Melvin Sanders, Marcus Dove, Tony Allen). He never would've brought in Dizzy or Waters. They are not Sutton players. I love the commitment they've shown to our program, but they aren't Power 5 athletes.

To be fair, Boynton wouldn't have brought in Dizzy & Waters as an HC either. We can see his type, super long athletes. Like Eddie, Boynton doesn't seem to mind if they can't shoot at the HS level and we can see that in the freshmen. All very athletic, but they lack any offensive identity to their games. The problem is between our 3 returning and 1 transfer Senior, none of them are Big 12 starters. Hell, Cam is the only one I feel like I can make a strong argument for even belonging on a Big 12 roster.

I had hopes of being a bubble team this year that squeaked into the Tourney. That isn't looking great right now, but I am up for giving Boynton two more years. The final year of Ford and Underwood left us in a bit of a recruiting hole, so I am up for being patient. Especially given the sudden hiring of Boynton, we all knew it would be on the job training. He is learning a lot every year as well. Eddie didn't come here coaching when he was in his 30s.
I really agree with a lot of this.

If Waters is a 15-20 minute stand in the corner and drain threes type of player, you have a really good team. If he is your primary option to score and breakdown defenses, you are in trouble.

The seniors have done a lot for this program, and have laid the foundation for the future. Their effort and hard work is commendable and appreciated. But, they are very, very limited in their talent. It is pretty obvious.

People on this board love firing coaches, but our limitations can't and shouldn't be placed at Boynton's feet right now. He is doing the best he can with the talent he has.

Truth is, the Boone's need time to develop physically. Same can be said for AAIII. Chris Harris needs to figure out his jump shot. But, regardless, the talent is obviously there for that freshmen class and the future there is bright.

Also, I thought Marcus Watson would be our best player this year, so not having him has clearly hurt the trajectory of the team. I think by Big 12 play, Watson would have figured out the speed and how to pick his spots, and is already ready physically to contribute on both ends of the floor. That was a huge loss.

Boynton needs some time. He needs to get his own athletes in here that he can develop to fit his system. We need to be patient. I know, that is a frustrating concept, but it is the truth. Cade coming in next year helps. As does the talent that is coming with him in Walker, Pena, and potentially Thor. Add all of that with the talented group of athletes that we have now - we are looking to be in good shape.

If I have one criticism at all, it is that I would like to see Boynton play the freshmen more. But, I also understand why he doesn't.

This was an embarrassing loss. Yes. But hardly the end of the world and hardly a reflection on who Boynton is as a coach. In fact, for those referencing Eddie... if you think Eddie never had any 30+ point losses in conference play, go check out the '96-'97 season.

Deep breaths. Everything will be fine.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
Aaand once again, we have the usual flood of rats jumping off the ship before it even gets out of the harbor...
You should always judge the team by one or two losses, and not consider any of the wins. Hey some of our WORST teams beat KU, sometimes twice in the same season. But, we lost to the defending national runnerup, at their house, first conference game, so it's time to give up.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Aaand once again, we have the usual flood of rats jumping off the ship before it even gets out of the harbor...
You should always judge the team by one or two losses, and not consider any of the wins. Hey some of our WORST teams beat KU, sometimes twice in the same season. But, we lost to the defending national runnerup, at their house, first conference game, so it's time to give up.
You have some seriously thick orange colored glasses if you can't accept some of the observations people have made to this point, and view it as "rats jumping from a ship". Are you just afraid of actual sports discussions, or what?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
So if Tech wins the National Championship this year, does that mean they didn't defend their national runner-up status? Defending National Runner-Up... :lol: