Oklahoma SQ788 IS NOT MEDICAL PAC Forms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Even though the majority of Oklahoma Republicans and conservatives are voting NO, it looks like SQ788 will pass, according to recent poll:

https://soonerpoll.com/medicinal-mar...since-january/

“Support is high for SQ788 among liberals, moderates and Democrats,” said Bill Shapard, CEO of SoonerPoll.com, “but anytime you can get a third or more of the majority — like Republicans and conservatives — to vote with you, you can get any state question passed in Oklahoma, and this is what we are seeing in these results.”

Demographic data detailed here: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...359513f993.pdf

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Stillwater why then does the Oklahoma State Medical Association suggest that Oklahoman's vote no!
It's no doubt due to sheer ignorance on the part of Oklahoma doctors. I doubt they know in 1937 that the American Medical Association wrote in opposition to the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. Added was it knew of no evidence that marijuana was addictive.

Over 5 years ago, Oklahoma State Sen. Jim Halligan consulted with a doctor on the subject of medical marijuana. The doctor said the medical community has no need for medical marijuana. Therefore, Halligan came out opposed to legalization of medical marijuana. Probably he and doctors had never heard of the court ordered program where the government sends out a tin can full of hundreds of joints to each eligible patient every month, currently down to a few patients. One of them, stock broker Irvin Rosenfeld owes his livelihood and life to all those joints. Additional ignorance centers around the fact that the government owns a patent on medical marijuana, relating to it being possibly good for the treatment of some neurological conditions.

It's also doubtful that doctors know of the fact that in 1972 Consumers Union came out in support of legalizing and regulating marijuana. That organization still holds to that same position today. Yet, it's now 2018 and some Oklahomans are agonizing over the fact that SQ788 does not name only a few medical conditions eligible for treatment. A young man with Crohn's disease told me his doctor would advise treating it with medical marijuana, if it was legal. But this disease was not among the few allowed to be treated in an Oklahoma State Senate bill to pre-but SQ788. Fortunately, the House would not hear of it.

That is just for starters to explain why Oklahoma doctors are so ignorant on the subject of medical marijuana. Really, much of this issue reeks of high hypocrisy that stinks clear to heaven.

Some Oklahoma doctors support legal marijuana. One of them is viewed as an expert on medical marijuana and is helping to fund the effort Green the Vote is currently doing with petitions out to vote on putting legal medical marijuana and rec marijuana in the Oklahoma Constitution. The former is to counteract a gutting that legislators may do to SQ788 after it passes.

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I read it, if it’s a medical bill it’s poorly written and leaves holes large enough to drive a truck through. The entire concept of medical marijuana is without ‘true and substantive’ support, ie its anecdotal, ftmp. As written and as someone who lived in a state with a very similar (by that I mean it’s dadgum near identical) rule, I can say without hesitation I would vote against it and that’s from someone who supports the feds decriminalizeing it and leaving legalization to the voters of each state and wherever I lived I would vote for legalization.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
I read it, if it’s a medical bill it’s poorly written and leaves holes large enough to drive a truck through. The entire concept of medical marijuana is without ‘true and substantive’ support, ie its anecdotal, ftmp. As written and as someone who lived in a state with a very similar (by that I mean it’s dadgum near identical) rule, I can say without hesitation I would vote against it and that’s from someone who supports the feds decriminalizeing it and leaving legalization to the voters of each state and wherever I lived I would vote for legalization.
I gather you don't have faith in the highly conservative Christian Oklahoma Republican legislators to gut SQ788 to your satisfaction after it passes. Anyway, you'll find questions in other states for med marijuana were broadly written, leaving questions unanswered. After they were passed, each state had to write as much as hundreds of pages of regulations. Oklahoma HB3468 was a good start on it, which many supporters of SQ788 could live with. It passed the House, but the Senate wanted nothing to do with it.

If going by a anecdotal story works for your condition as well, then fine. If not, try another medicine. At least, trying marijuana won't kill you. If you want true, substantive as well as clinical support for marijuana based medications, then just turn to GW Pharmaceuticals in the United Kingdom. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/04/19/first-marijuana-derived-drug-poised-for-fda-approval-after-winning-support-from-advisers/?utm_term=.fe5745a13cc5

Sorry, but once again, due to the Feds doing nothing to legalize marijuana, it has become the American custom to first try legalizing medical marijuana before going for legalizing rec marijuana, or marijuana in general. That custom makes good political sense to go with, since a recent poll showed that Oklahomans supported legalization of rec marijuana by only 37%.

Last edited:

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I gather you don't have faith in the highly conservative Christian Oklahoma Republican legislators to gut SQ788 to your satisfaction after it passes. Anyway, you'll find questions in other states for med marijuana were broadly written, leaving questions unanswered. After they were passed, each state had to write as much as hundreds of pages of regulations. Oklahoma HB3468 was a good start on it, which many supporters of SQ788 could live with. It passed the House, but the Senate wanted nothing to do with it.

If going by a anecdotal story works for your condition as well, then fine. If not, try another medicine. At least, trying marijuana won't kill you. If you want true, substantive as well as clinical support for marijuana based medications, then just turn to GW Pharmaceuticals in the United Kingdom. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2018/04/19/first-marijuana-derived-drug-poised-for-fda-approval-after-winning-support-from-advisers/?utm_term=.fe5745a13cc5

Sorry, but once again, due to the Feds doing nothing to legalize marijuana, it has become the American custom to first try legalizing medical marijuana before going for legalizing rec marijuana, or marijuana in general. That custom makes good political sense to go with, since a recent poll showed that Oklahomans supported legalization of rec marijuana by only 37%.
Ok, but I know the system we had in place was abused by everyone and I mean everyone, if a kid (kid not adult) couldn't get one doctor to write it up they went to another until finally every kid knew there what doctors would and wouldn't and faiap, they were paying $150 to be able to smoke weed, then they had to find a source, there were / are several dispensaries in the area all operating illegally under federal law and subject to criminal prosecution, so again a legitimate business that was operating illegally.
I don't support medical marijuana simply because I don't think smoking it or ingesting the beneficial elements should be a crime. I do support legalized marijuana provided the citizens of the state want it but until the fed decriminalizes it all you are doing is making a federal criminal of millions of honest Americans not to mention adding to the list of charges of the corrupt politicians who are probably already criminals, for someone who already thinks our prisons are overcrowded that seems like a strange thing to support.

Here's a good read for you, if you're interested:
Three Felonies a Day: how the feds target the innocent - Harvey Silverglate
hint - if you smoke weed, that's one

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Townie: “Because they’re dumb. Duh.”
How many Oklahoma doctors opposed to legalizing medical marijuana have had the experience of trying it on their patients? Quite likely zero, since it's not legal to do so in Oklahoma. Legalize it and give doctors the freedom to do that.

Words of Dr. Sunil Aggarwal, a Washington state medical doctor who has a lot of experience caring for chronically ill, disabled and terminally ill patients:

"I can assure you, I'm not some out there crazy doctor, kook, quack. It's based on solid evidence, solid science and empirical and clinical experience that I've had and many of my colleagues in states that I've trained in where we've had cannabis for medicinal use available. I've seen remarkable changes in my own patients. It's really an essential tool for doctors to have."

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Oklahoma doesn't even need "medical" marijuana. We have CBD stores popping up everywhere claiming to "cure" or "proven" to aid in:

Acne, Anxiety Disorders, Cancer ( :rolleyes: ), Depression, Drug Withdrawals, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Heart problems, Inflammation, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Insomnia, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuro-degenerative disorders, Pain, Psoriasis, and YES... even Quality of Life.

Soooooo why do we even need "medical" marijuana?

Oh yeah, so we can get to the real reason for pushing this... recreational marijuana. :derp:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
How many Oklahoma doctors opposed to legalizing medical marijuana have had the experience of trying it on their patients? Quite likely zero, since it's not legal to do so in Oklahoma. Legalize it and give doctors the freedom to do that.

Words of Dr. Sunil Aggarwal, a Washington state medical doctor who has a lot of experience caring for chronically ill, disabled and terminally ill patients:

"I can assure you, I'm not some out there crazy doctor, kook, quack. It's based on solid evidence, solid science and empirical and clinical experience that I've had and many of my colleagues in states that I've trained in where we've had cannabis for medicinal use available. I've seen remarkable changes in my own patients. It's really an essential tool for doctors to have."
Ethical physicians don't "try drugs" on their patients without solid scientific evidence that it works. The same goes for marijuana.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Ethical physicians don't "try drugs" on their patients without solid scientific evidence that it works. The same goes for marijuana.
Yet, the doctor said, "It's based on solid evidence, solid science and empirical and clinical experience that I've had and many of my colleagues in states that I've trained in where we've had cannabis for medicinal use available. I've seen remarkable changes in my own patients. It's really an essential tool for doctors to have."

Also do I need to remind you that the FDA has approved of drugs that later turned out to do more harm than good and had to be taken off the market?

Last edited:

RideEm

Greenhorn
Aug 31, 2009
Slightly off topic
If no known treatment works then where is the ethical issue with trying something experimental that may work, that’s a chance they don’t have today. I also think it’s the reason behind the try it EO Trump just signed. I know you’re a physician and have much more knowledge on the matter but I can say with certainty that if my kid had something and there was no proven cure and his odds of survival were something less than 5% I’d be searching out every experimental treatment out there and you’d have to jail me to stop me.
I can't disagree with the sentiment, but just imagine how many lawyers would be begging to take your case and make you a substantial sum based on a malpractice and possibly a wrongful death lawsuit.

I think if the Dr is wise, there could be personal suggestion (not medical advice) to get in contact with people that have had positive personal experiences. Human bodies can respond very differently, and without controlled studies, effectiveness can't be measured and quantified. I don't personally know a doctor that is against legalizing marijuana for recreational use, but all absolutely object to being the gatekeeper for a drug, that many will want, without extensive medical evidence based literature. There are already plenty of doctors that refuse to play the pain medicine game, and will refer those patients to a pain management clinic.