Oklahoma SQ788 IS NOT MEDICAL PAC Forms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
One of my colleagues put together this info gallery on what would happen if the state passed SQ 797. Here's an excerpt:

Marijuana would be treated much like alcohol - it would be taxes similarly, and those under 21 would not be able to legally obtain it.
Adults could legally possess or transport up to 2 ounces of marijuana and could legally transfer up to 1 ounce to other adults.
Consumption of marijuana could not be conducted openly/publicly nor 'in a manner that endangers others'
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Bruce Plante's cartoon yesterday was about medical marijuana - link

Also, our latest article on medical marijuana...

Although a large majority of public comments about State Question 788 urged the Oklahoma State Department of Health not to impose cannabinoid percentage limits for medical marijuana products, records show multiple medical industry officials support the proposed strict regulations.

However, a doctor who specializes in the scientific study of cannabis says limitations on product potency will diminish the spirit of the ballot measure approved last month that rightly gives wide latitude to medical professionals.

The state Health Department, through the newly established Oklahoma Medical Marijuana Authority, received roughly 1,000 public comments through July 3 about emergency draft rules that will, if approved during a Tuesday board meeting, help govern the implementation of State Question 788.
Link

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Fyi, our reporter who will covering most updates on Oklahoma marijuana is Samantha Vicent. You can follow her on Twitter at @samanthavicent. Excerpt from latest article follows...

The Oklahoma State Department of Health has kept intact proposed limits on the potency of medical marijuana in its most recent iteration of proposed rules regarding State Question 788, but medical industry leaders, in asking for additional restrictions, wouldn’t rule out a lawsuit in their mission to ban the sale of smokable products.

In the newest emergency draft rules, which were updated Sunday, the Health Department has determined that medical marijuana products processed or dispensed shall not have more than 12 percent tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, while mature marijuana plants cannot be processed for sale if the THC content exceeds 20 percent.

Those limits, which appeared in at least one previous draft, had the support of the medical industry but not most of the public, according to letters submitted to the agency during the public comment period about the draft rules last week.
Link

Also, an updated on SQ 797 petition...

Just weeks after Oklahomans voted for medical marijuana, another initiative petition could expand the state's laws to include recreational use.

Supporters of State Question 797 began gathering signatures before the June 26 statewide ballot that saw more than 56 percent of voters approving of medical cannabis. Isaac Caviness, president of Green the Vote, hopes that enthusiasm will translate to his signature-gathering campaign, which also includes a separate state question placing medical marijuana in the Oklahoma Constitution.
Link

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Don't you get tired of voting for something and passing it, then having our so called leaders and other professionals basically indicating that we aren't smart enough to have known what we voted for and them striving to alter what we've voted for for our own stupid good. I do!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Update: No smokables. Among other rules approved at Tuesday's meeting of the state health board:

• Medical marijuana products processed or dispensed shall not have more than 12 percent tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, while mature marijuana plants cannot be processed for sale if the THC content exceeds 20 percent.

• Home-grown medical marijuana plants shall be kept behind a fence at least 6 feet tall under lock and key and not be visible from any street. Those who are prescribed smokable medical marijuana, according to the draft, would be subject to the same restrictions on public consumption as those who smoke tobacco, with an added provision banning use in the presence of a minor.

• Commercial license applications would be accepted no earlier than 60 days from when the state question was approved. Applicants would have to show that the proposed business location is at least 1,000 feet from a school or church.
Link

Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Update: No smokables. Among other rules approved at Tuesday's meeting of the state health board:

Link
How can college students grow it in their dorm rooms without a six foot fence around it? How many rooms away from an educationally advanced(minor) freshman must they be? Why should a person have to wait to grow their own plants in order to smoke it? Why do these over prescribing opioids pushers and "regulators" have so much clout as to undo the will of the people? Is this a great state or what?

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
How can college students grow it in their dorm rooms without a six foot fence around it? How many rooms away from an educationally advanced(minor) freshman must they be? Why should a person have to wait to grow their own plants in order to smoke it? Why do these over prescribing opioids pushers and "regulators" have so much clout as to undo the will of the people? Is this a great state or what?
Heck. Legalizing recreational marijuana seems safer and less complicated. The conservative authoritarian politicians and the state health department won't have a leg to stand on, if an act of Congress decriminalizes marijuana next year. If the DEA just takes marijuana off Schedule 1 soon, that will be a step in the right direction.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Heck. Legalizing recreational marijuana seems safer and less complicated. The conservative authoritarian politicians and the state health department won't have a leg to stand on, if an act of Congress decriminalizes marijuana next year. If the DEA just takes marijuana off Schedule 1 soon, that will be a step in the right direction.
The health department is nowhere near conservative.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
The health department is nowhere near conservative.
So not allowing for smokables is a liberal nanny state stand, instead of a conservative one? To me, it's simply an ignorant stand. For starters, they likely haven't heard that scientific research has proven that smoking marijuana does not cause lung cancer and have they ever heard of Irvin Rosenfeld, much less read his book.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
So not allowing for smokables is a liberal nanny state stand, instead of a conservative one? To me, it's simply an ignorant stand. For starters, they likely haven't heard that scientific research has proven that smoking marijuana does not cause lung cancer and have they ever heard of Irvin Rosenfeld, much less read his book.
I don’t care what YOU call it. I know most of those people.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
I think this is perfect. Medical MJ should be medical. Doctors, pharmacists, etc. Then pass recreational on its own merits. The faux medical adherents can fade away and be done with the sham.
There's a petition for recreational going around that already has 80,000 of 123,000 signatures. It'll be on a ballot soon. All of you "I'd vote for recreational but this bill isn't that" people will be able to put your money where your mouth is.

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
There's a petition for recreational going around that already has 80,000 of 123,000 signatures. It'll be on a ballot soon. All of you who "I'd vote for recreational but this bill isn't that" people will be able to put your money where your mouth is.
The rec petition will have to have a smoother time of it jumping through the final hoops than did the petition for SQ788. It would have been voted on in 2016 had AG Pruitt not modified the ballot title to make it sound like it was really rec. So rec may not be on the ballot until 2020.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
One of my colleagues just finished a gallery on the profiles of the Oklahoma state Board of Health members. You can check it out here.

Excerpt:

Timothy E. Starkey - president

Starkey, an MBA, is executive director of the Great Salt Plains Health Center in Cherokee. He has 25 years of experience in the health care industry and is a fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives.

On banning smokables: Voted in favor

Residence: Alva

Counties represented: Cimarron, Texas, Beaver, Harper, Woodward, Woods, Major, Alfalfa, Grant, Garfield, Kay, Noble

Term expires: June 30, 2021

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Update...

Gov. Mary Fallin on Wednesday signed a set of emergency rules governing medical marijuana.

The governor's office issued the following statement from Fallin:

“These rules are the best place to start in developing a proper regulatory framework for medical marijuana, with the highest priority given to the health and safety of Oklahomans. They are also the quickest and most cost-efficient way to get the process actually started as required by the law passed by the people. I expect modifications could occur in the future. I know some citizens are not pleased with these actions. But I encourage everyone to approach this effort in a constructive fashion in order to honor the will of the citizens of Oklahoma who want a balanced and responsible medical marijuana law. The state question placed an accelerated implementation period upon the Oklahoma State Department of Health, which is required to start the application process by July 26 – just two weeks away. The Health Department has been working with 17 other agencies the past three months on crafting these emergency rules. Asking the Legislature to pass comprehensive legislation in a special session is not realistic.

“Dealing with medical marijuana is unchartered territory for our state, and there are many opinions, including divisive views even among SQ 788 backers, on how this should be implemented. Discussions have been going on the past few months in and outside the Capitol with no clear-cut agreement. I appreciate the hard work of Interim Health Commissioner Tom Bates and his staff, who take seriously their responsibility to protect the health and safety of all Oklahomans.”
Link