Official Homecoming Game Thread: Baylor vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Now you're just piling on with ridiculous hyperbole. Since 2011 (7 seasons) we've had (4) 10-win seasons, another Biletnikoff winner (and shoulda had another last year), our best QB ever, appearances in Sugar Bowl and Cotton Bowl.
I think these are fair points. Honest question, do you think the next 7 seasons will produce similar results? Those were fun years, but if feels like it's slipping away.

Apr 7, 2006
His overall record is really impressive. Gundy deserves a lot of credit for that. At the same time, we just came off a decade where UT found a way to under achieve dramatically, even OU wasn't up to their national championship level. Boone and others gave unprecedented amounts to lift the program.

So you can point to win loss records and compare to our mediocre past but as each year passes it appears the stats in favor of Gundy will have to lean heavily on our decade which will fade further and further in the rear view mirror.

I honestly don't know what the answer is, and it's hard for me to make the jump to the fire Gundy crowd, but I understand the frustration.
I agree. There was a window of opportunity for building things and it isn't there anymore (maybe that's temporary). I'm curious how that changes based on our depth chart.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
I think these are fair points. Honest question, do you think the next 7 seasons will produce similar results? Those were fun years, but if feels like it's slipping away.
I think it's too soon to say that. We've underachieved the last 2 seasons - yes I think the final year of Rudolph/Washington was a letdown - and this year looks to make it 3 in a row. The only thing I can say for certain is that there is a red flag flying high that we're trending in the wrong direction. 2018 was a mulligan as we were in a QB transition year and the only logical result was a down year relative to the Rudolph years.

I think the troubling thing that has everyone irked was the decision to roll with "Corndog" no matter the struggle/outcome, and now history is repeating itself with Sanders. We seem to be treading water trying to find our future QB; jury is still out on Sanders. That happens to every program once in a while; ask Texas how their search went after Colt McCoy.

I doubt Sanders pulls it together this year. The way things are going, Illingworth has a pretty decent shot at QB1 next year. If that's the case, hopefully Illingworth is our Rudolph 2.0.

Nov 14, 2010
What is happening to the program is, in a weird way, exactly what Gundy wants.

He is not getting removed and he knows it, so he has the freedom to set whichever expectation he desires with the fan base.

Gundy is still pissed that fans didn't appreciate our last 10 win season.

Heck....there was a comment just a couple posts ago about how it was an under achievement

So.....
We fire off a couple 6-6 7-5 type seasons, then fans reset their expectations.

Fans will just be ecstatic again about 9-10 win seasons instead of thinking they are an under achievement.

That also keeps the fan base from wanting/expecting more.

He is a making a point with the fan base about how our expectations are high and that we should be so thankful for all he's done instead of expecting more, or at least more of the same.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
No humor here. No jokes. No cynical snidey comments.

I’m. Done. Gundy is the best coach we have ever had. If he doesn’t change O.C.’s by next week I’m. Done with him..not OSU...Him.

His ego and Desiree for throwback offenses trumps all he has done.

Just my opinion.

Screw him

Hire cumby. Hire holgy. Hire resaun woods..don’t care. Just fire mike. He is robbing the school of cash. Screw him
But how do you really feel?

Also worth noting, the zebras let Baylor get away with mauling Wallace all day long.
True. And, did HCMG ever object? There were also several PI calls that went against us that were questionable. Other head coaches seem to interact with the officials and clearly express their views on how calls are being made. I almost never see HCMG get fired up about it unless it's just blatant.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
I think it's too soon to say that. We've underachieved the last 2 seasons - yes I think the final year of Rudolph/Washington was a letdown - and this year looks to make it 3 in a row. The only thing I can say for certain is that there is a red flag flying high that we're trending in the wrong direction. 2018 was a mulligan as we were in a QB transition year and the only logical result was a down year relative to the Rudolph years.

I think the troubling thing that has everyone irked was the decision to roll with "Corndog" no matter the struggle/outcome, and now history is repeating itself with Sanders. We seem to be treading water trying to find our future QB; jury is still out on Sanders. That happens to every program once in a while; ask Texas how their search went after Colt McCoy.

I doubt Sanders pulls it together this year. The way things are going, Illingworth has a pretty decent shot at QB1 next year. If that's the case, hopefully Illingworth is our Rudolph 2.0.
No way Gundy allows Illingworth playing time next season. Just like Sanders, the offense will be too complex for him to understand after only a semester on campus. Even in valuable cleanup time, I’d be surprised if he gets snaps over Costello...since he’s been loyal and true and has been waiting his turn. Ill the Thrill will have to wait until 2021. Hopefully not, but that’s Gundy’s MO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Sadly we have become the Goons. :(
You mean the ones that are 7-0 and 4 deep at every skill position except QB. They are only 3 deep there and Hurts hasn’t played 4 quarters yet as the #2 and #3 get playing time in the 4th Quarter. Living in a family that is 90% OU alums I hear this a lot. Trust me - they don’t think about us except once a year.

Last edited:

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree. There was a window of opportunity for building things and it isn't there anymore (maybe that's temporary). I'm curious how that changes based on our depth chart.
IF we can win enough games to get to bowl and win it and CH gets an NYC invite despite the teams performance then I think those are things we can recruit off of...I think Gundy should not only cut off the mullet if we keep losing but perhaps shave his head. Also, I'm afraid a QB change has to take place for an even minor turnaround to happen however...not sure why SS has regressed but he seems to have.. horrible to watch last nights 4th quarter nose dive and the entire dumpster fire in Lubbuttocks.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I had one foot out the door last year, I refuse to put my hard earned down to support this year after year. I will NOT let someone question my loyalty to subsidize poor coach/performance. Somebody else can pony up the extra $ to pay Mike “run up the middle on 3rd and long” “Guess what I’m gonna still make 5M) Gundy. And judging by the empty seats (at homecoming non the less) I’m not the only one!!
I was there and it was packed. Not sure what game you were at or watching.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
If I was Gundy, Sanders would be benched and Brown starts the next game. You've got to learn to protect the ball. Being responsible for 8 turnovers in 2 games is just unacceptable. It's not fair to the rest of the team. You have to do what needs to be done to give the TEAM the best chance to win, not let one player develop.

Dude has 4 star talent, but is not currently 4 star value.

Apr 27, 2006
If I was Gundy, Sanders would be benched and Brown starts the next game. You've got to learn to protect the ball. Being responsible for 8 turnovers in 2 games is just unacceptable. It's not fair to the rest of the team. You have to do what needs to be done to give the TEAM the best chance to win, not let one player develop.

Dude has 4 star talent, but is not currently 4 star value.
Agree with all but the number 4, must be something less.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Sadly we have become the Goons. :(
You mean the ones that are 7-0 and 4 deep at every skill position except QB. They are only 3 deep there and Hurts hasn’t played 4 quarters yet as the #2 and #3 get playing time in the 4th Quarter. Living in a family that is 90% OU alums I hear this a lot. Trust me - they don’t think about us except once a year.
He means the fans when they have a down year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk