Official Game Thread: Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 11, 2011
On the score vs go down debate: there were literally 2 instances in the same week THIS YEAR (I think one was Falcons in NFL & maybe one NCAA?) where a guy scored instead of going down; their team lost the game. The NFL game really made news for them scoring instead of taking a knee & running out the clock. In one of those instances, the guy was lambasted for not being more aware of the fact that scoring was the ONLY way the losing team had a chance to win. I'm also pretty sure that in at least one of those, the losing team was intentionally trying to let them score to have a shot to get the ball back.

Edit-Todd Gurley; Falcons lose to Bears. I searched for it & literally a whole page of "Gurley-"I shouldn't have scored..." quote stories.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
On the score vs go down debate: there were literally 2 instances in the same week THIS YEAR (I think one was Falcons in NFL & maybe one NCAA?) where a guy scored instead of going down; their team lost the game. The NFL game really made news for them scoring instead of taking a knee & running out the clock. In one of those instances, the guy was lambasted for not being more aware of the fact that scoring was the ONLY way the losing team had a chance to win. I'm also pretty sure that in at least one of those, the losing team was intentionally trying to let them score to have a shot to get the ball back.

Edit-Todd Gurley; Falcons lose to Bears. I searched for it & literally a whole page of "Gurley-"I shouldn't have scored..." quote stories.

Just my $0.02
Gundy disagrees with you.

Which means you're spot on.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Jackson seized the opportunity and literally ram with it. And did he ever. How is he the 3rd RB? Hubbard should be behind LD Brown and Jackson. Hubbard should've ended his collegiate career at the conclusion of last season.. now he won't even be drafted and would be damned lucky to make a practice squad.

Apr 7, 2006

Just my $0.02
I'm not arguing what the right thing to do was but the Gurley situation isn't a good comparison. They were down 2 and could've ran the clock down and won with a chip shot field goal (theoretically) but instead went up 5 which allowed time for the Bears to score a TD to win. This isn't close to the same thing in my opinion.

I wish I could see statistically what the best thing to do is - I am genuinely interested in what the overall numbers look like in the same situation as yesterday. I would be willing to bet that either (victory formation or up 13 kicking off with a minute) is a less than 1% failure rate. I work in data science quite a lot so I find these conundrums pretty oddly interesting.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Jackson is a really good zone back.
Very patient, great vision, has some jitter, then has a good burst once he picks his hole.

He reminds me of David Thompson
I disagree with the "patient" comments. Most of the time, Dez was at full speed when he took the hand off and made it through the slightest hole . Even that last run he had to really put on the brakes at the line of scrimmage and change direction, but he definitely wasn't "patient".

I thought this whole year that Chuba tried his "glide toward the outside and then when the hole opens up, pour through it a full speed". It worked well last year, but not this year.

Brown had been "hitting the hole" and had more success than Chuba's glide sideways style this year.

Nov 14, 2010
I disagree with the "patient" comments. Most of the time, Dez was at full speed when he took the hand off and made it through the slightest hole . Even that last run he had to really put on the brakes at the line of scrimmage and change direction, but he definitely wasn't "patient".

I thought this whole year that Chuba tried his "glide toward the outside and then when the hole opens up, pour through it a full speed". It worked well last year, but not this year.

Brown had been "hitting the hole" and had more success than Chuba's glide sideways style this year.
He didn't put on the brakes.....
He set the linebacker up intentionally to get caught up in the trash.

The play was power blast

Interesting that that is one of the concepts I said we needed to run last week when another poster said it wouldnt work because its not Play Station

Anyways

Line down blocks to the left to pin the tackle and nose

Left guard pulls and wraps for the power

Fullback kicks the DEnd

So.....linebacker chases the pull, Desmon gives a full flow look, then bounces and cuts it back underneth the fullbacks kick out block.

Great play.....
Desmon ran that perfectly

To give a full flow power look, then bounce to cut underneath the kick, you have to be patient because you have to let the pull/wrap and the kick out both develop.

Jackson set that play up perfectly and it worked absolutely as it was drawn up.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Barely pulled out a win over a (now) 3-6 team, who lost by overwhelming ineptitude. We put up a good fight, but their ineptitude was slightly more powerful than ours.
Barely? Lol, we had to Dez KNEED instead of getting a touchdown. This game was well in control. Score should really be up by 13
Gundy says that while they practice that knee move, no one told Dez to do it. He admits he wanted the score, but says it was a heads up play the way he pulled it off.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2005
He didn't put on the brakes.....
He set the linebacker up intentionally to get caught up in the trash.

The play was power blast

Interesting that that is one of the concepts I said we needed to run last week when another poster said it wouldnt work because its not Play Station

Anyways

Line down blocks to the left to pin the tackle and nose

Left guard pulls and wraps for the power

Fullback kicks the DEnd

So.....linebacker chases the pull, Desmon gives a full flow look, then bounces and cuts it back underneth the fullbacks kick out block.

Great play.....
Desmon ran that perfectly

To give a full flow power look, then bounce to cut underneath the kick, you have to be patient because you have to let the pull/wrap and the kick out both develop.

Jackson set that play up perfectly and it worked absolutely as it was drawn up.
As an football coach (I've coached at the middle school and high school level) getting a running back to wait for their pullers is the hardest thing to teach. When the playside guard and tackle down block it creates a crease that the running backs want to hit. Not realizing that unless they let their backside guard get through the hole first, there is a linebacker waiting for them. Its the most frustrating thing in the world to watch film on. If the running back would have waited half a second he would have scored a touchdown only to get stopped for a 2 yard gain because he outran his puller.

Feb 18, 2009

Just my $0.02
In a one score game, sure. Dez scores Saturday and we’re up 12. Go for two and get it and you can’t lose even if the other team scores twice in 1:40, with no timeouts. Don’t Get it, they still have to score two TDs and recover an onside kick which is about as likely as returning one.

Pros and cons either way. I would have run it in. Gundy said he would have preferred he go score. Is what it is. Never should have been that close anyway.

TheMonkey

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Other than they let ku score a bunch.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
True. That tied KU’s highest scoring (23) of the season, which was their opener with Coastal Carolina. They gave up a TD in each of the first three quarters, then a FG in the fourth. So, it wasn’t garbage points.

They held TT to 18 (no Bowman) and we gave up 44 to TT (with Bowman). Transitive comparisons don’t tell us much.

Hopefully, last week was an anomaly for our defense and they return to dominating. If they don’t, this game will be more interesting than I’d like.