Official Game Thread: Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
We just got a massive big screen of a view of how good Rudolph really was. He covered up a bad OL. Recall, it was our passing, and double coverage on Washington, that allowed us to run. When we have to rely on the OL to actually move folks out, we see they are well below average for the B12.

We can cuss Corndog, and he is very average, but the real issue is Henson and his OL.
It’s really not Henson’s fault. He inherited a bunch of walkons and low level d-1 prospects. He needs more than one full recruiting class and the new guys he has coming in should be a lot better.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Gundy does not i repeat does not plan to give brown reps with the ones in practice. Blamed the offensive line. Said it wasn’t Cornelius fault pretty much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If corndog connects on more throws, then they start bringing the linebackers back and our run game opens up. Our terrible Qb play played a huge role in our loss. He couldn’t throw the ball down field at all.

Nov 1, 2009
Dallas
How do you know this? Just curious.
I think it's just Gundy being a poor judge of QB talent more than anything. OSU has always found a serviceable QB. Might've taken half a season, but there's always been one sitting on the bench somewhere. Surely Brown, Sanders, or even Wudtee would be up to the challenge. But I'll be surprised if we see any of them next week.
Agreed. Sanders is the real deal. Not trying Brown in is a head scratcher though. Seems that Gundy has written off this season and unfortunately we’ll just have to wait it out.

Oct 30, 2007
One ray of sunshine from yesterday was Tylan Wallace. He was excellent. He's currently ranked 8th in the country in receiving yardage and 15th in receptions. He's starting to look like he'll be our next flagship receiver.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
One ray of sunshine from yesterday was Tylan Wallace. He was excellent. He's currently ranked 8th in the country in receiving yardage and 15th in receptions. He's starting to look like he'll be our next flagship receiver.
Yea he will be a done a disservice by our terrible QB unless we can find one who can throw the ball down field.

Oct 30, 2007
Yea he will be a done a disservice by our terrible QB unless we can find one who can throw the ball down field.
I was thinking the same thing. Just imagine what his numbers would be in Texas Tech's offense. He's still young though. Maybe we'll remember Sanders to Wallace some day in the same way we remember Rudolph to Washington and Weeden to Blackmon.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Let’s not forget we burned a time out on a punt. A freaking punt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
could be we were planning a fake and they didn't like how tech lined up.

Sent from my stang5litre Edition 5.0 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
My takeaways:
1. Bad game from Cornelius who missed too many throws and completed less than 50%, but the pick he threw downfield late was Tyron Johnson's fault. He pushed off too early then didn't fight for the ball. We don't have a tall guy like Ateman for jump balls. Tylan Wallace plays bigger than he is downfield for jump balls (so did Washington last year) and had a great receiving game. Corndog holds the ball too long too often, every sack was a product of this.
2. Offensive play calling was not good. Hill only ran the ball 12 times I think. We can't be so concerned with keeping his carries low that we don't use our best player as a bell cow when needed. To be successful at the run, we have to have good play calling to mix in, because our run blocking generally stinks.
3. Defense was terrible. The blitz package has a major weakness and that is the other QB getting the ball out quickly on short routes. Tech did that well, and we didn't adjust and play receivers close (often gave 15-20 yard cushions), and it looked like Spencer's D. Once the pass worked, it opened the run later for them. I felt like our D gave up at times late in the game.
4. Special teams was poor, except for the punter. It's great to have our elite punter back, I just wish he would of ran the ball on our first punt. All of the Tech players ran away, it would of been an easy 4 yards. The muffed punt cost us dearly at that point in the game. The missed field goal did too. The combo of these two special teams ganders was the dagger (see the opposite with our blocked punts last week against Boise). The other daggers were stupid untimely penalties, which have been largely limited in the Gundy Era.
5. We adjusted poorly (or didn't adjust at all) at half. If we don't adjust moving forward and play similarly in the rest of our games we will have tough games against Kansas (who is decent), ISU, Texas, and KSU while getting housed by OU, WVU, and TCU who have similar style offenses to Tech and get the ball out quick. I think we beat Baylor easily.

I do think we need a QB change.

ATXCowboy

Like a Boss
A/V Subscriber
Sep 2, 2009
Austin
And yet he gets only 12 carries and hardly any screen passes. He was one of our weapons and gundy left him on the sideline lol
I don’t disagree. Yurcich runs the offense and the blame is squarely on him. Sure Gundy could have and probably should have stepped in, but it’s Yurcich’ offense.

I’m just pointing out that the notion that Hill is limited is a load of crap that Gundy haters Love to cite, even though it’s not true.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
I don’t disagree. Yurcich runs the offense and the blame is squarely on him. Sure Gundy could have and probably should have stepped in, but it’s Yurcich’ offense.

I’m just pointing out that the notion that Hill is limited is a load of crap that Gundy haters Love to cite, even though it’s not true.
Yea, I am not a hater of Mike Gundy. I am a hater of his stubborn ego that thinks we can force the offense to be something it can’t be with corndog.

They both choose to stubbornly chuck it deep down field with hopes that Rudolph will come back instead of using corndog to his strengths. It’s absolutely stupid.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I got slammed for posting Boise State was gonna put a beat-down on us, mainly because of TC's poor performances in a few Spring games. I think my post was quoted by at least 20 different posters. I hate being negative, I do. I can't stand it.

But, fact is: QB recruiting has been an utter disaster ever since Rudolph committed. Wudtee and Woods are both busts, unfortunately. Cornelius was a walk-on; tonight's game showcased reason why. Once Rudolph's career ended, my optimism was replaced by negativity via poor QB recruiting.

I understand what Gundy is doing with the redshirts and I agree with him regarding Sanders. But man..if Brown doesn't start next week, Gundy needs a big-time wake-up call. And, unfortunately, my prediction of not being bowl eligible at season's end..well, I just can't stand it.

If Gundy didn't pull Cornelius, it's clear TC will be the QB for the remainder of season. Gundy better get him some QB's and fast. As of right now, Wudtee has been out-performing Sanders in practice.. that's not good. That's why Sanders isn't even on the QB depth chart.

I just hate thinking OSU's football success is slowing to a halt. Poor QB recruiting and the current recruiting class..just ugh. It's not looking good, for years to come.

Go ahead, slam my post..call me an idiot. But, don't you dare suggest I am not a true OSU fan. I am a true and loyal fan, for life. Just right now, things are not looking good, even in the grand scheme of things.

Hopefully Gundy gets him some QB's and pronto..the dual-theat of QB recruiting after landing Rudolph, has been disaster.

Let's hope it just wasn't our night. Pff..who am I kidding. Being negative sucks so freaking bad..but I'm calling it like I see it.

Good night, fellow OSU fans. Let's hope it just wasn't our night...ugh.
Never in my life have i seen someone miss a spread by over 50 points then be smug about it.

Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
I agree, one recruiting class is not enough. He's having to put boys out there against men
I haven't looked/can't remember the whole depth chart, but Shane Richards is a very large boy lol. Keyes, Williams were supposed to be good. Wilson has about a season of experience. I don't know, maybe they all suck besides our postseason all big 12 player Keyes. Kinda hard to believe though.